I never worked with Lou, but every guitar player I know has, just about. I'm sure he still sounds good. I used Akiko on a gig and she did a good job. Haven't heard her in years. Randy I know since '84.

I'd go for it if you can. The ranks of Lou's generation are thinning, and fast. But it's a miracle Hank Jones, Phil Woods, Barry Harris, thBenny Golson (who I heard the other night) are still not only at it but in great form. It must be a hidden statement to younger musicians: Shut ye up, muffle your egos, listen to the masters.

i know its my destiny to see lou in concert (and yes its his organ band, the one he gigs in nyc with) and im gonna try and make the 2nd set once i hear back from the club. id hate to drive all the way there only to wait outside...that would be too painful for me....im waiting back to hear from the venue, ive made a resrv. but just yesterday - havent heard back.. it doesnt say its sold out.

thank you chuck, I've been going over logistics today, and as of now, I am definetly planning on driving up. I will most assuradly make it up for some lou, probbaly, for a lot of lou....perhaps, for the entire second set. Whatever portion i get, I'm going to be taking it slow and be very careful on I-5 (our local interstate freeway). I have not driven more than 4 miles in a year, with the exception of last july when i rented a cary to see the gary wright concert. The fact that Lou is bring his Lou Donaldson Organ Band to the west coast for a funky jazz show in 2009 is a jazz west coast milestone of massive porportions. I think its beautiful that this event is going to happen. If I meet lou, I will be very respectful and let him know how pleased I am he came out west (I shouldn't mention the phone call, right???) perhaps should i have ask him if he would be so kind to autograph my copy of "sophisticated lou" or somethin of the sort?

• 2 weeks later...

I never worked with Lou, but every guitar player I know has, just about. I'm sure he still sounds good. I used Akiko on a gig and she did a good job. Haven't heard her in years. Randy I know since '84.

I'd go for it if you can. The ranks of Lou's generation are thinning, and fast. But it's a miracle Hank Jones, Phil Woods, Barry Harris, thBenny Golson (who I heard the other night) are still not only at it but in great form. It must be a hidden statement to younger musicians: Shut ye up, muffle your egos, listen to the masters.

...the last time I saw Phil Woods....he was far from "great form". Nothing against Phil as he doesn't need to play another note to cement his place in jazz history....but his playing at this time is very week...limited to a chorus or two. Possible I saw him on a bad night.

m

Edited by sheldonm

dont know if i can do it. i went to a yes tribute show in Woodinville (15 mi. East of the city) last week and i was tired driving back from THAT at MIDNIGHT- i really dont know if i can do this. i have to be at work at 8:45 am. i sprained my back last night and it still hurts. i couldn't pull over and take a nap like usual. i want to see lou so bad, but i just dont know if im up for it

Edited by chewy

Michael if i dont go, you can tell lou how much i wanted to see him, its just a logistical nightmare- in the past year ive driven >10 miles twice.....once to pick up the new car, and last week when i drove 15 miles over to the 'eastside' (nighmareish yuppie suburb of seattle). and even that was an ordeal. i know its physically possible, but the opportunity for difficulty and disaster is highly prevalant. i so wanted to expierence an actual lou concert