Bagging Vinyl Boxed Sets

Hi everyone. I have a question about the storage of a portion of my collection - boxed sets.

I have a lot of boxed sets in my collection and they are all sealed. A few have stickers on the shrinkwrap but most do not. I have various sized poly bags for my boxed sets but I don't have bags for my largest boxed sets. I have checked various online stores but some of my sets are still too large for any that are avaliable.

So my question to all of you is this: Would it be safe to simply store my boxes (upright on a shelf with doors) without being placed in a poly bag? Do you think I would need to worry about the shrinkwrap deteriorating over the years or deterioration to portions of the box with exposed parts due to a small tear or tears in the shrink?

I am very particualr with storing my vinyl but this boxed set issue is really hard to figure out.

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you,

Vinyl Collector in Canada

I'd suggest that you try to find the very thick bags used for LaserDisc sets.

I've bought a few hundred - but this was many years ago - so I'm not sure who has them anymore.

A Google search should work tho. They're extremely thick and come with or w/o flaps.

®

Hi and thanks for the notes. I did track down an online vendor a few days ago who sells very thick laser disc bags. I thought of this after reading one of the posts in thsi thread. I e-mailed them and asked for the specific dimensions of the bags and I am waiting for a reply. I am interested to know those exact dimensions for my purposes so time will tell but I will post the info once I get it. Thanks,

John

"They are all sealed" (??). Are you just hoarding and not listening to the stuff?

I was thinking the same thing. Before you worry too much about the condition of the box or its shrink wrap, break the seal and listen to the damn records! If they sound good, then you can worry about protecting the vinyl.

"They are all sealed" (??). Are you just hoarding and not listening to the stuff?

I was thinking the same thing. Before you worry too much about the condition of the box or its shrink wrap, break the seal and listen to the damn records! If they sound good, then you can worry about protecting the vinyl.

Word. :tup

Edited by porcy62

What then DOES make a hoarder, preytell? No , you could hardly have offended anyone, but you do run the risk of ridicule...

Thanks Porcy62, I will check out those links right away.

Yes, I have a lot of sealed vinyl in my collection but that hardly makes me a hoarder and I certainly enjoy my music. I am sorry to have offended some of you but you are entitled to your opinions.

VinylCollectorInCanada

Word. :tup

Indeed.

The monetary value of my jazz on vinyl is certainly not as important to me as is the priceless music on the vinyl itself.

The idea that someone is concerned with preserving their records as a collection rather than for the pleasure of listening to the music is baffling to me.

Are these boxed sets simply an investment rather than a collection of music for the enjoyment of listening to it?

That is truly sad.....................at least to me. :blink:

Edited by patricia