Dr Lonnie Smith - Rise Up!

Soulstation1

The Doctor's latest was dropped in my mailbox yesterday - it's a blast!!!

Herlin Riley deserves credit for his creative approach merging New Orleans drumming traditions with funky textures - the success of this album is largely due to his fine grooves. His playing is far superior to that of the drummers on the Doctor's previous two Palmetto releases - and those on the Javon Jackson CDs he is on. (Tereon Gully with his stone funk is a close second.

This is proof how much a good drummer can lift a whole session to new heights. The Doctor and Peter Berstein play one good solo after another, and I didn't know how well Donald Harrison could do in an organ combo. Great. My first candidate for B3 album of 2009. Like Jim said, finally the Doctor's music is represented the way he deserves.

Edited by mikeweil

Anyone else dig the groove on Come Together?

I dig the groove - the vocals are pretty weird ...

I kind of like the 'Popeye meets Tom Waits' thing he's got goin :)

Seriously, after seeing him live, I would be disappointed if he didn't do something like it.

Edited by GregN

Anyone else dig the groove on Come Together?

I dig the groove - the vocals are pretty weird ...

They are some weird vocals, but they work just right with how he plays the tune, like he didn't want the vocals to be at all clear. I've played it a few times and I like it a lot. Mikeweil's point about the fine drumming on this is well taken. "It's got a great groove and you can shake your booty to it- I'll give it a 92, Dick"

Anyone going to see the Doctor in New York at the Jazz Standard (27th and Park Ave S) tonight through Sunday? I think I'll be there for the first or second set on Saturday.

Thursday - Sunday, March 5 - 8

Dr. Lonnie Smith Quartet

Donald Harrison – alto saxophone

Peter Bernstein – guitar

Dr. Lonnie Smith – Hammond B-3 organ

Herlin Riley – drums

(Jazz Standard's annoying as hell website)

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I saw him last night at Yoshi's SF, and I bought the CD afterward. I'll give it a listen tonight. Great show! I stayed for the second set, and it was a much better one than the first. The Hammond was a little beat up: a key came off and a couple bass pedals were making odd noises. Duct tape and a few jokes were an effective remedy, though. There was a Leslie too, but it just sat there unplayed. Peter Bernstein played well, too.

• 4 months later...

Man, what a fantastic record! Lonnie is just...just...AMAZING! I'm not sure what else can be said. He's the champion of the world. Wow. Palmetto has done a hell of a job with him...these recordings sound soooo damn good...and capture his deep sound so well. What he plays is just mindblowing. He's a virtuoso of no bounds and the amount of soul he has is unmeasurable. That combination is his alone. Get this Cd ya'll!

• 1 month later...

Palmetto news:

In the next few months, we will release a new recording by Dr. Lonnie Smith entitled SPIRAL. Recorded at Maggie's Farm with the Doctor's touring trio of Jonathan Kreisberg (g) and Jaimre Williams (d) and produced by Matt Balitsaris, this one continues the voyage into Doc's world.....this one due in May...