Ian Carr RIP

RogerF

I'm very sorry to report the death of Ian Carr, this afternoon. He was 75 and had been suffering from ill health for over two years. He was a major figure in modern British jazz and was, of course the author of the Miles Davis biography. He will be sorely missed by many, fans and musicians alike.

More here: http://www.iancarrsnucleus.net

Roger

Very sad. Nucleus were never a big favourite (though as it happend I'd just ordered a copy of the '76 live CD after hearing a great track on JRR a few weeks back) but I really liked Carr's 'Old Heartland', a 'jazz with strings' project that really worked. Enjoyed his Miles and Jarrett bios too - the discography in the former was central to building up my Miles collection.

My favourite memory was a programme he did in the early 80s on the BBC comparing the mid 50s, Lincoln Centre and Plugged Nickel versions of 'My Funny Valentine'. Eye opening.

I'm totally gutted by this news. As well as being a huge fan of Nucleus and Rendell/Carr I got to meet him on one occasion at the Barbican. Very down to earth, astonishingly modest re: his albums and instantly likeable. It was obvious at the time that he wasn't well but it was only afterwards reading his bio that I realised how serious his health problems were. A true giant of our UK scene - may he rest in peace. :(

I always liked his writings and TV programmes on Miles too. His Miles bio is still the best.

Thanks for passing on the sad news Roger.

Edited by sidewinder

Very sorry to read this.

I have two Nucleus albums, a Best of compilation which I think is called Smash Hits (maybe not) and the later In Flagrante Delicto.

That compilation showed that a huge number of greats went through that band.

PS - Now I think that the name of the album was Direct Hits.

Edited by GA Russell

As I mentioned earlier, Nucleus were never great favourites of mine (I recall seeing them around '74 at Reading University - intrigued me but I wasn't really ready for jazz then). But I ordered this last weekend by chance, after hearing it on JRR, and it's a cracker:

518MS3FQQbL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I suspect the studio albums don't do themselves justice as they were limited to quite short tracks. Here the band can stretch and change pace mid song just like the Miles records of the era.

I'll want to explore some of the other live albums that have come out in recent years.

As I mentioned earlier, Nucleus were never great favourites of mine (I recall seeing them around '74 at Reading University - intrigued me but I wasn't really ready for jazz then). But I ordered this last weekend by chance, after hearing it on JRR, and it's a cracker:

518MS3FQQbL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I suspect the studio albums don't do themselves justice as they were limited to quite short tracks. Here the band can stretch and change pace mid song just like the Miles records of the era.

I'll want to explore some of the other live albums that have come out in recent years.

I got this one a little while back and, you're right, its a good one. Some good musicians in that band.

• 3 weeks later...