Fourth Blindfold Test?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sangrey Blindfold looks like it will be an epic experience. We'll probably tell our grandchildren about it. ;)

I've been thinking about what to put in my own blindfold, whenever that happens, and it's true that the 1-CD limit makes for difficult choices. I've looked at lots of albums and realized that the interesting tracks are 10 minutes or longer, which would make for fewer tracks. A 2-CD blindfold would be more fun, but quite a challenge to make every track a memorable one. And, of course, more expensive to ship. But hey, if you can afford it, go for it.

I see that others have volunteered for non-US distribution, and I'm just as happy to sit this one out, distribution-wise. It's probably a good idea for us European etc. residents to take turns at it. I'll be glad to burn and forward a copy or two, though, if desired - just let me know.

Looking forward to the Sangrey experience!

AND to present musicians that are fairly well-known in such a way that you, the listener, will be forced to "think outside the box" of the usual stereotypes of these players and focus on the individual sound of the player rather than coast along on overall context. You want a theme upfront? There is is - "People You Probably Know In A Way You Might Not Expect, & People Who You Might Not Know But Might Want To, Approximately".

This, to me, tells me that its still going to be a killer, Jim's protestations notwithstanding.

I mean, shorn of expected context, what are we supposed to go by? Are we to expect a twist on the Getz bruhaha by hearing the Getz sound in a super funky context? :wacko:

Not to say I am complaining, in fact I am looking forward to Jim's multi-disc set, but this half of the theme "People You Probably Know In A Way You Might Not Expect" sounds extremely difficult for my ears and "people you might not know but might want to" is hard by design.

But still, bring it on!

I´d like to take part in Blindfold Test #4 as well. I´m not sure if I´ll be able to contribute anything of interest (there are dozens of members who own much more knowledge on jazz than I do), but it´ll be fun, anyway.

Dude, if you say what's on your mind, that's interesting enough. I myself feel challenged to play the "identify THIS" game, but that's just me. Personally, I think that anything that anybody has to say is interesting, as long as they're reacting honestly, and putting some thought and feeling into what they're saying. You mught get roundly disagreed with, but go with that. Nobody knows how a piece of music hits YOU better than you.

So speak out, and speak honestly. Ain't no way to be "wrong" when you do that!

Jim, did you get my PM?

Yes, and I'll contact you (and the others who asked similar questions about participation and distribution) next week. Right now, I'm going to hang here for a few minutes, go to bed, sleep until I wake up, and then proceed with an exteremely full weekend.

and some (for example, 13 out of 34 people who received my disc) will not participate.

Umm i was one of those - SORRY.

I have listened a few times & didnt have a clue who anybody was on the tracks & felt a bit of a fool.

I will play it a few more times over the weekend & post what i think if its not too late.

and some (for example, 13 out of 34 people who received my disc) will not participate.

Umm i was one of those - SORRY.

I have listened a few times & didnt have a clue who anybody was on the tracks & felt a bit of a fool.

I will play it a few more times over the weekend & post what i think if its not too late.

Gary (and to the others who responded to my comment re. participation),

Forgive me if I gave the wrong impression. I really wasn't meaning to "scold" or solicit apologies. I posted that comment in the context of Jim's idea about sending out two discs, and was just stating some facts for everyone to consider. In other words, to me it didn't seem to matter how many tracks (or how many discs) are included in the test, because everyone on the receiving end goes about the process differently. Some guess at every track, some are selective, some just enjoy (I hope) the music and don't post anything. To some degree, it's been that way with every test so far. I'll admit that I found the level of non-participation on my test a bit disappointing (I think that's only natural), but I knew ahead of time that this could happen. Bottom line- I spread some music around that I hoped people would enjoy.

... and no, I don't think it's too late to post your thoughts about BF test #3. The post-revelation discussion phase was all too brief anyway, from my perspective (of course, from my perspective I wish it could have gone on until January ;)).

More to come. It's going to take a few weeks to get the music and distribution together, but I'm looking forward to sharing some of my favorite pleasures with y'all. Let's have some BIG fun with this!

just a thought that occurred to me... As long as it is taking "a few weeks" more to get this thing rollins fer real, it looks like this test is gonna put us into the next year (yup, time IS going THAT fast). From that point of view 2 disks is definitely not a bad thing. Getting a new test on its way seems hardly doable during the busy december month (busy at least for many of us, or so I hope).

Hopefully I myself can spend some time then not only listening to Jim's spiffy new & improved double feature test, but also revisiting and re-evaluating the three existing BF disks.

I've been encoding all of the blindfold discs into mp3's. I figured that by the time we get up to BF 6 or 7, we will have enough material to fill a CD-R with Blindfold MP3's.

Then, we could distribute, with a future test, one bonus disc that contains all the previous BF tests! B)