Golson/Farmer Jazztet goes straight to Last Chance

boy am I happy that i got this already! It contains a lot of outstanding music, both by the Jazztet (some funky stuff on the Mercury albums, wonderful wonderful John Lewis arrangements on "The Jazztet Plays John Lewis") as well as by Farmer and Golson individually - those quartet albums are a treat! That opening track on one of the Golsons in 5/4 is amazing, it grooves like mad! The orchestra album by Farmer is nice as well (it was a Verve Elite before, as was one of the Mercury Jazztet albums), and the "Take a Number from 1 to 10" album by Golson has some fantastic tenor playing on it... a winner from beginning to end! And I guess one of the more varied Mosaics, too.

Mine's the euro-mosaic.

I wonder if these short notice last chance situations occur because though a license might have some time to run the stock is low and the economics of re-pressing don't work, so a decision is taken to pull the plug. Either that or like the the famous Vee-Jay sets nobody notices the contract is expiring until the last minute!

I notice that a few Mosaic sets are awaiting re-pressing so they may be tightening up to balance the books in thee hard times.

Edited by David Ayers

Mine's the euro-mosaic.

I wonder if these short notice last chance situations occur because though a license might have some time to run the stock is low and the economics of re-pressing don't work, so a decision is taken to pull the plug. Either that or like the the famous Vee-Jay sets nobody notices the contract is expiring until the last minute!

I notice that a few Mosaic sets are awaiting re-pressing so they may be tightening up to balance the books in these hard times.

That sounds like it might be correct, which is a bit sad/depressing.

What, correct that no one notices, or correct that they see it's a slow seller, they have ten left, they decide not to print more?

The Stuff Smith disappeared like that as well, with no notice at all.

My Jazztet is also the european version - otherwise I wouldn't have it yet (I went for a good offer somewhere, I think, or even found it locally).

I thought that there were some licensing issues that came up unexpectedly on the Stuff Smith set that caused it to be withdrawn suddenly.

What, correct that no one notices, or correct that they see it's a slow seller, they have ten left, they decide not to print more?

My Jazztet is also the european version - otherwise I wouldn't have it yet (I went for a good offer somewhere, I think, or even found it locally).

Edited by jazztrain

Correct, there were problems in that department.

I thought that there were some licesning issues that came up unexpectedly on the Stuff Smith set that caused it to be withdrawn suddenly.

What are the "European" sets that are being mentioned. Mine came straight from Mosaic, so I assume it is an "American" set.

Are these Euro sets ones that are packaged and sealed for sale at record shops in Europe? I recall seeing a bunch of Mosaics, some recently out of print, at the FNAC the last time we were in Spain.