John Zorn at Yoshi's SF

Yeah, it is an inflated price, but it's pretty damn rare out here to see Zorn. It paid off to wait, if you're on their e-mail list they hooked it up with a gift certificate for another equally-priced show, so it ended up being about what it should cost. It may mean people aren't biting because of the price. Plus I've noticed a pattern at a lot of shows at Yoshi's where if you go to the earlier show, they let you line up for free entrance to the next one.

I can't make the Thursday original Masada line-up, but I'll be at the Sunday show.

Sunday, March 15, 2009

ELECTRIC MASADA

Cyro Baptista: Percussion

Joey Baron: Drums

Trevor Dunn: Bass

Ikue Mori: Electronics

Marc Ribot: Guitar

Jamie Saft: Keyboards

Kenny Wollesen: Drums

John Zorn: Alto Sax

Just thought I'd follow up. The Electric Masada show on Sunday was great fun. Unlike the previous night, Zorn did actually play his axe (people were complaining a bit that he hadn't the night before even though it was billed that way). As I mentioned, thanks to their e-mail with the discount, they handed me a $50 gift certificate at the door. After the first show they offered the later 9pm show for $25 (half price), and I went. Plus I met a girl there and it ended up being an impromptu date! So in terms of value, I'd say it was a great deal after all was said and done.

Much different crowd than most shows I've seen recently--young, white, relatively nerdy potheads mostly. But I did run into Roscoe Mitchell at will call (literally). I was hoping he was a "special guest" or something, but I guess he was just there to observe. Anyway, they were a tight band, especially considering there were three drummers on stage simultaneously.