Louis Armstrong the visual artist.

Hardbopjazz

The side of Louis Armstrong many didn't know about was his obsession with the visual art form of collages. NPR, WNYC had a program about the resent book about Armstrong's art. Below is the link. As for Louis Armstrong, living close to the Louis Armstrong museum, I plan on making an appointment to view the art regarless how simple critics claim it to be.

Show

Besides Armstrong, how many other jazz artists were into other forms of artistic expression? I can think of Miles Davis who loved to paint along with Tony Bennett. Milt Hinton loved to take photos.

there are actually Pee Wee Russell paintings hanging at the Rutgers Institute of Jazz Studies -

Tony Bennett also paints -

and I actually heard Larry Rivers play (saxophone) years ago -

and Kenny G paints by number (or maybe he PLAYS by number) -

Edited by AllenLowe

Oh yes, I have some of Bill's visual art - really nice litho, in fact. Rarely exhibited but man, some of those paintings are GOOD.

Marzette Watts was a painter, and yeah, I know Larry Rivers' work.

Rob Mazurek (to bring it more contemporary) is another painter, also does video art and installations. I'm sure I can think of some more.

once you've seen gabor szabo's paintings on ebay nothing on his albums can shock you anymore (the cover of spellbinder is easily one of the best ones...)

edit: thinking a little, gabor szabo must be a pretty common name in hungary so presumably this guy

http://search.stores.ebay.de/Empireposter_...20GaborQQsofpZ0

is someone else... still: gabor szabo was a painter, too and painted among others the cover of spellbinder

Edited by Niko