Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

Auand is owned by Marco Valente. I have the first four CDs and was very impressed by them. Tony, I do believe the music is innovative - in a gentle way - just as the Alphea duo, something is there - something that you haven't hard anywhere else. In any case -innovativ/non-innovative, it does not matter - the label is great. GET THESE CDs!

I fully agree.

Thanks for the recommendations but I'm not buying music at the moment as I recently made a rather large purchase...

Come on Tony, $50 won't change much.

And then $70 more for True Muze...

And $60 more for Newsonic...

And $40 more for Silkheart...

And $70 more for HatHut...

And $50 more for Intakt...

And $40 more for Nuscope...

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Chaney

Come on Tony, $50 won't change much.

And then $70 more for True Muze...

And $60 more for Newsonic...

And $40 more for Silkheart...

And $70 more for HatHut...

And $50 more for Intakt...

And $40 more for Nuscope...

:huh:

Hey! That kinda' makes sense!

And as I already HAVE all of the True Muze titles, all the more to spend on Hats, Intakt, Silkheart...

:excited:

On second thought, I'll think follow your lead and listen to all of the music that I already own that I've yet to touch. I'll start my own Unheard Music Series.

Talking about Newsonic, check this mp3 out: http://newsonic.com/mp3/superbowlsunday.mp3

Exilirating!

But the one I liked the most so far is Kevin Uehlinger's "Alchemusic", released this year (no mp3s, so you'll have to trust my word). Solo piano (mostly) - beautiful and original. In 10 years, when I catch up with all 2003 releases, this might well make the top-whatever list.

Hope Newsonic stays afloat.

Guest Chaney

And speaking of DMG, what do you make of this from their latest mailing:

FRODE GJERSTAD TRIO - Ultima (Cadence Jazz 1108) Featuring Frode on alto sax, William Parker on bass and Hamid Drake on drums.  This was recorded live at the Ultima Jazz Fest in Oslo, Norway in October of 1997 and released two years later.  Downtown contrabass hero and multi-bandleader, William Parker, recently cleaned out his closet and left us with a box of cds to check out.  One of these gems is this wonderful free-jazz trio date with the great Scandinavian alto saxist Frode Gjerstad and Williams' most consistently inspired and diverse rhythm team partners, our man Hamid Drake (last seen locally at Tonic with Painkiller).  Frode has more than a dozen fine releases under his belt, having worked at length in Detail with John Stevens and Johnny Dyani, as well as with Peter Brotzmann, Derek Bailey and Bobby Bradford.  This trio with William and Hamid is burning and spinning furiously right from the starting gate, rarely coming up for air.  "Ultima" is one long (nearly an hour) and evolving piece that moves through a variety of sections.  William, early on, takes one of his customary, amazing and intense bowed bass solos while Hamid whips up a rhythm storm along side as Frode digs in and takes off for the stratosphere.  Frode occasionally sound like Jemeel Moondoc, which is no surprise since Jemeel has also used the same rhythm team at times.  There is a Frode Gjerstad ten cd set of duos planned for FMR in the near future, but I wouldn't hold my breath.  In the meantime, this particular trio date is an outstanding one to savor and heat things up on these cold winter nights.

CD release for $14.         

I'm not familiar with Frode Gjerstad. Should I be excited over this rumored 10 CD set?

Edited by Chaney

Hm, the review's by Brian Olewnick, who's usually a sensible & trustworthy reviewer (as long as one takes his reviews of Erstwhile releases with a grain of salt). Truthfully, I've been avoiding that one for years because of the presence of Bergman, & will continue to avoid it.

Oh, glad to hear Kevin Uehlinger's got a solo disc out. He sounded really good on Anthony Braxton's recent Delmark quartet album.

While I've never heard the Bergman disk, very interesting and if correct (who's to judge?), astute comments by Brian Olewnick.

Be mindful though that Penguin gives this one four stars.

The set with Braxton (Eight By Three) is measured, cool and almost alien in its absence of expressionist drama.  The balance of two horns and piano is a hard on to sustain at length, but Bergman is a caustic enough player not to be troubled by it.

And speaking of DMG, what do you make of this from their latest mailing:

FRODE GJERSTAD TRIO - Ultima (Cadence Jazz 1108) Featuring Frode on alto sax, William Parker on bass and Hamid Drake on drums.  This was recorded live at the Ultima Jazz Fest in Oslo, Norway in October of 1997 and released two years later.  Downtown contrabass hero and multi-bandleader, William Parker, recently cleaned out his closet and left us with a box of cds to check out.  One of these gems is this wonderful free-jazz trio date with the great Scandinavian alto saxist Frode Gjerstad and Williams' most consistently inspired and diverse rhythm team partners, our man Hamid Drake (last seen locally at Tonic with Painkiller).  Frode has more than a dozen fine releases under his belt, having worked at length in Detail with John Stevens and Johnny Dyani, as well as with Peter Brotzmann, Derek Bailey and Bobby Bradford.  This trio with William and Hamid is burning and spinning furiously right from the starting gate, rarely coming up for air.  "Ultima" is one long (nearly an hour) and evolving piece that moves through a variety of sections.  William, early on, takes one of his customary, amazing and intense bowed bass solos while Hamid whips up a rhythm storm along side as Frode digs in and takes off for the stratosphere.  Frode occasionally sound like Jemeel Moondoc, which is no surprise since Jemeel has also used the same rhythm team at times.  There is a Frode Gjerstad ten cd set of duos planned for FMR in the near future, but I wouldn't hold my breath.  In the meantime, this particular trio date is an outstanding one to savor and heat things up on these cold winter nights.

CD release for $14.         

I'm not familiar with Frode Gjerstad. Should I be excited over this rumored 10 CD set?

yes, and you should definitely check out Ultima and Remember to Forget, the two discs he recorded with Drake and Parker. Great stuff!

Congrats on the car, by the way!

Congrats on the car, by the way!

Thanks!

Nice new car but now I don't have the money to actually go out and do anything! :rfr

Д.Д.: Had a listen to the Super Bowl Sunday mp3. Can' say that's it to my liking.

A while back I downloaded the Newsonic mp3 samples -- including Seth Misterka's The Demon (gotta love a record company that let's you download the entire OOP album!) -- but wasn't too hot on what I'd heard. Pity.

Д.Д.: Had a listen to the Super Bowl Sunday mp3. Can' say that's it to my liking.

A while back I downloaded the Newsonic mp3 samples -- including Seth Misterka's The Demon (gotta love a record company that let's you download the entire OOP album!) -- but wasn't too hot on what I'd heard. Pity.

Yeah, I suspected it would be too "rockish" for your tastes. I like Misterka's stuff quite a bit.

Anyway, I think you would enjoy Uehlinger's "Alchemusic" - no rock influences here (just biochemistry). Also I know you are a big fan of solo bagpipe music, so you can't miss Matthew Welch's "Hag at the Curn" (even if it does not sound like bagpipes on half of the tracks). And Zord's stuff is something else indeed (did you get Pasador Jomel from Limited Sedition? - think along this lines, but on acoustic bass). And all these three releases, that you and your neighbours will undoubtedly enjoy, are available for $20 ppd!

What's the opionion on True Muze? I enjoyed the Godlstein thing a lot -ahven't listened to other discs yet.

Well, maybe, but the one I've heard was ghastly:

Penumbra CD013

ELEMENTALS presents electronic music by Thomas Gaudynski composed using multi-channel digital recording equipment and a wide variety of sound sources, including guitar, midi guitar-driven synthesizer, feedback system with digital effects, percussion and prerecorded water, bells and electronic sounds.

I had the misfortune to receive three discs by Gaudynski in the past year....

Be mindful though that Penguin gives this [Eight by Three] one four stars.

Well, I like the Penguin Guide, & it's fairly reliable, but Cook & Morton also unaccountably give high rankings to Metheny/Bailey's Sign of 4, DD Jackson's Sigame & assorted other albums I found unlistenable, so.....

Oh, I'm glad you find "Sigame" rather unlistenable, too! I already thought I got to get a new pair of ears...

I'm otherwise very fond of the Penguin. More so than of AMG.

ubu

What's the opionion on True Muze? I enjoyed the Godlstein thing a lot -ahven't listened to other discs yet.

I've been listening to and enjoying "the Goldstein thing" :D : monsun - Malcolm Goldstein (violin) and Peter Niklas Wilson (double bass).

TRUE MUZE

I love the impetuous playing of Goldstein and the rock-solid, cautionary comments of Wilson. (Sorry to sound reviewerly -- sorry Nate! -- but, with this type of music, it's hard not to assign either emotions to the sounds / manner of playing and / or construct a narrative to the compositions.)

I've had only a single listen to brot & honig and 4+1 so I can't really comment on those two yet. Innovative Music Meeting, Live at Palo-Palo and Window Shopping are still sealed. (Want to preserve their freshness, ya know? :blink: )

Д.Д.: Did you follow your plan and buy the ENTIRE True Muze catalog? With three of the titles dated 1998 and the other three 2000, doesn't look like this label is in an expansive mode. And with Peter Niklas Wilson having passed away...

Edited by Chaney

Д.Д.: Did you follow your plan and buy the ENTIRE True Muze catalog? With three of the titles dated 1998 and the other three 2000, doesn't look like this label is in an expansive mode. And with Peter Niklas Wilson having passed away...

Of course I did. Buying more is easy - buying less is much more difficult.

I listened to all of them except "Evan Parker + many people" one. I will have to listen to them again to form an opinion, but so far they all sounded very interesting. After I absorb them, I will display my bad reviewing skills here.

I got True muze discs directly from Vlatko Kuchan, the co-owner of True Muze - I will check with him what the plans for the label are.

Eremite Goldstein should be available from themusicresource. I am waiting for my copy to arrive (this was before my buying freeze). I also got a copy of Goldstein's disc on XI, but haven't listened to it yet.

I checked some Penumbra releaases at AMG, and some of them have very positive reviews from Francois Couturier, who I tend to trust. I guess I will give Penumbra a try...

Hey Tony, how is catching up with Leo Lab stuff going? I am through 40% of the CDs at best, but so far I've been pleased with most of them. Well-spent $3 per CD.

I am listening now for the first time to John Bickerton's "Shadow Boxes" and I am very, very impressed. Andrew Hill-inlfluenced for sure, but still a truly original voice - melodic, angular, impressionistic. Clever. Excellent support from Rashid Bakr on drums and Matthew Heyner on bass.

Together with Pandelis Karayorgis, this might be one of the most interesting new piano trio records I've heardin the last years.

Very impressed.

Edited by Д.Д.

Eremite Goldstein should be available from themusicresource. ....

Good luck to you my friend but don't count that chicken before it's hatched.

Listening to Shadow Boxes just now.

Eremite Goldstein should be available from themusicresource. ....

Good luck to you my friend but don't count that chicken before it's hatched.

Listening to Shadow Boxes just now.

Chaney -

send an email to Micheal Ehlers at Eremite. He might have a spare copy lying around or there may be plans to repress the disc at some point. I'd like to have a complete set of Eremites at some point, so I'd be interested in a repress of that disc, too.

I am listening now for the first time to John Bickerton's "Shadow Boxes" ...

Agree fully with your comments on this one. Terrific band and Bakr is HUGE!

I'd like to hear more of the melodic side of Bickerton's playing and perhaps a bit less of the prepared piano. Interesting, but a little of that goes a long way with me.

I especialy like Stilts & Pirouettes, where he shows that he's not afraid to lock the band into a (listener) seductive (NON-greazy!) groove.

:tup

Going back to the first post in this thread, Erstwhile is now stocking Funny Rat for $14. At that price I might have to grab a copy.

Also, Jon Abbey just sent out an email stating that La Voyelle Liquide (my avatar) as well as "We Are Everyone in the Room" by Stilluppsteypa/TV Pow are going out of print very soon (he only has a few copies of each left.) LVL is highly recommended. It is one of my top five EAI discs so far. I don't own We Are Everyone... yet, but placed an order for it this morning.