Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

Thanks for the info John.

I believe I'll order La Voyelle Liquide ( :wub: that avatar!) but I'll wait until I get home and am able to listen to sound samples of We Are Everyone In the Room before placing my order.

bagatellen has its "the 2003 preferred" list up ---> X <---

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tony -

Jon got my order into today's mail, so hopefully I'll have the discs by Wednesday. I'll let you know what I think of We are Everyone... It will be back in print, eventually. (maybe after 1 or two years, according to Jon.) The only discs he will not be repressing will be the first four Ersts.

Some interesting discs on the Bagatellan lists. Many I have heard and many more I have not. Too much music, too little time. (and $$)

Edited by John B

Д.Д.:  Had a listen to the Super Bowl Sunday mp3.  Can' say that's it to my liking.

A while back I downloaded the Newsonic mp3 samples -- including Seth Misterka's The Demon (gotta love a record company that let's you download the entire OOP album!) -- but wasn't too hot on what I'd heard.  Pity.

Yeah, I suspected it would be too "rockish" for your tastes....

ubu: Д.Д. knows my tastes in this regard all too well..

Listening to Orange Slice, I was at sea a great deal of the time.

Early on, it really did sound like the soundtrack to a horror movie -- probably Italian -- probably directed by Dario Argento. You know the kind: the music gets especially gleeful (in a dark way) as the (usually attractive) woman is being stalked and about to be killed in a grisly (but VERY creative) way.

When things started to rock out, I was completely lost. I just couldn't find anything to grab on to. (Without an oar? Rudderless? ... to continue the at sea analogy.)

My thanks to you for sending Orange Slice to me but I regret to say that, as my ears may have grown old, I'm not able to musically appreciate it. :(

Now... The Minimalism of Erik Satie! That one's a winner! Wonderfully varied sound palette. A delight from beginning to end -- although, at 23:31, the tune Vexations 2105 is a bit too long, IMO.

:tup

Karayorgis is indeed interesting. I haven't yet quite warmed up to Blood Ballad, a trio disc--it's rather monochromatic & finicky, was my impression--but the more recent quintet disc Disambiguation is great stuff. Unlike the rather dogged use of dissonance on Blood Ballad, the latter is much lighter & fleeter, more Tristano than Andrew Hill.

Hey Tony, how is catching up with Leo Lab stuff going? ...

Have you listened to these two yet?:

Y? (LeoLab CD053) Bertrand Denzler Cluster: Bertrand Denzler (tenor sax) / Norbert Pfammatter (drums & percussion) / Benoit Delbecq (piano & prepared piano) / Helene Labarriere (bass)

nanoCLUSTER 02/2000 (LeoLab CD073) Bertrand Denzler / Norbert Pfammatter

If not, stop what your doing and LISTEN NOW!

Y? (LeoLab CD053) Bertrand Denzler Cluster: Bertrand Denzler (tenor sax) / Norbert Pfammatter (drums & percussion) / Benoit Delbecq (piano & prepared piano) / Helene Labarriere (bass)

Listened to Y? only, and it's terrific indeed. Fascinating listen!

Hey Tony, how is catching up with Leo Lab stuff going? ...

Have you listened to these two yet?:

I had been thinking about ordering a few of these Leo discs and, based on your enthusiasm, added these two to my order. I'm looking forward to hearing them! Hard to go wrong for $2.99.

Notice Hats new motto on their site?

Dissonance of today is the consonance of tomorrow.

That's a pretty cool one!

You know, I'm maybe as far from being a patriot as one can get, BUT I got to admit that there are some good aspects to this country - Hat being one, for sure, Intakt another, ...

ubu :g

Notice Hats new motto on their site?

That's a pretty cool one!

It's actually a pretty stupid one, if you think about it.

John, I assume you are buying all available Leo Lab CDs from Berkshire. For $3 per CD, you shouldn't limit your curiosity. I haven't listened to them all yet, but of those which are available now, the only one I would not recommend is Max Nagl CD (poetry recital over the musical background - pretty boring, I thought) - the rest, including Maneri, Bickerton, Alphea Duo, Statements Quartet, Remote Viewers, Chameleo Vulgaris - is excellent.

Edited by Д.Д.

Max Nagl is a pretty interesting musician. I've got two of his CDs, but would have to listen again to make elaborate comments.

Д.Д., you're right about the hat slogan...

Listening to "Maldoror", Erik Friedlander solo (Brassland, rec. 2002). Very very interesting stuff!

Anyone has it?

ubu

Listening to "Maldoror", Erik Friedlander solo (Brassland, rec. 2002). Very very interesting stuff!

Anyone has it?

This is a fantastic CD, one of the best from 2003 (I thought it was released in 2003) - I actually raved about it somewhere above (or was it during the e-mail phase of our communication?)

"Maldoror" is much better than a bland soap fusion of "Quake" on Cryptogramophone, in case anybody uses "Quake" as a reference.

Anyone has it?

This is a fantastic CD, one of the best from 2003 (I thought it was released in 2003) - I actually raved about it somewhere above (or was it during the e-mail phase of our communication?)

"Maldoror" is much better than a bland soap fusion of "Quake" on Cryptogramophone, in case anybody uses "Quake" as a reference.

Д.Д., have you heard "Abathon", the recent ECM double CD by Sylvie Courvoisier, Mark Feldman and Friedman? I have not had a chance to listen to it, but judging from some concert excerpts broadcast some months ago, it might be REALLY interesting!

I think you raved about a Friedlander disc right at the beginning of my inclusion in your email exchanges - not sure it was "Maldoror", though. Have you read the book, by the way? It's on my list of books to read...

ubu

Д.Д., have you heard "Abathon", the recent ECM double CD by Sylvie Courvoisier, Mark Feldman and Friedman? I have not had a chance to listen to it, but judging from some concert excerpts broadcast some months ago, it might be REALLY interesting!

I think you raved about a Friedlander disc right at the beginning of my inclusion in your email exchanges - not sure it was "Maldoror", though. Have you read the book, by the way? It's on my list of books to read...

ubu

No, I haven't heard it - and I doubt I will hear it too soon, since I am in a buying freeze (I have to mention it as often as possible here, so that I start believing in it myself).

Only OOP stuff.

Only.

Really.

But do we mean Don Freidman by chance, one of my favorite pianists? What's Sylvie playing then - organ?

Oh, shit, that must have been some freudian slip - I meant Friedlander, of course, as we were talking about him.

Friedman is a musician I do not really know. I have some sideman dates, from '60 till almost today, but - DON'T GIVE ME ANY RECOMMENDATIONS, hell, do give some if you can't let it... I should stop buying, too!

ubu

Friedman is a musician I do not really know. I have some sideman dates, from '60 till almost today, but - DON'T GIVE ME ANY RECOMMENDATIONS, hell, do give some if you can't let it... I should stop buying, too!

(against the background of Steamboat-like music) O-HO-HO-HO-HO! The ten essential Friedman recommendations are...

Later, my friend. I'll give you some. Friedman is really a wonderful musician.

And yeah, the poems in the FRiedlander CD sleeve sounded enetertaining indeed - I will also find a book.

There's one Max Nagl on Hat that I really like -- Ramasuri.

I dug up my two Nagl discs, both are on November:

Max Nagl Quartet, Mélange à Trois, rec. 97 with Joanna Lewis (violin), Nagl, Joseph Novotny (p, harpsichord), Patrice Heral (perc, voc)

Max Nagl Quintet, Café Electric, rec. 98, same personnel, add Achim Tang, bass.

Pretty nice stuff.

Re. Ramasuri: I heard a broadcast of that project, was very very interesting, I think I got to get the Hat disc.

Does anybody know the other hatOLOGY from Nagl? "Big Four" or something.

ubu

JOHN!

If available, be CERTAIN to order:

Alphea  (LeoLab 009)  LEO SITE

Д.Д. turned me on to this one early on.  It's a real gem.

Tony -

thanks for the heads up! I just called Berkshire to see if it could be added to my order.

Good man John. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Д.Д. and I especially like the new age elements in this one. (Very reminiscent of Enya at her most ethereal.) Be sure to light the scented candles (or potpourri), pour a hot cup of cocoa, sit in your most comfy chair and prepare to be soothed. (The acapella humming bits are especially sweet.)

:blink:

KIDDING!

NONE of the above but it does have a certain indefinable charm.

I like it. :P

Д.Д. and I especially like the new age elements in this one.  (Very reminiscent of Enya at her most ethereal.)  Be sure to light the scented candles (or potpourri), pour a hot cup of cocoa, sit in your most comfy chair and prepare to be soothed.  (The acapella humming bits are especially sweet.)

You had me excited, for a minute. That sounds just like the way I relax with Broetzmann's Machine Gun, Kevin Drumm's Sheer Hellish Miasma and Coltrane's Om, all playing at the same time.

My Erstwhile order arrived last night and I am starting to listen to We Are Everyone in the Room now. So far I am enjoying it, but haven't been blown away yet.

Ok, almost through WAEITR now. I like it, but there are many other Ersts I would pick up before this one, if you were just starting out.

Edited by John B