Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

They seem to have all of the OOP Eremites in stock.  I placed an order and am hoping they come through!  Not much chance these will be repressed, I'm guessing.

Raphe Malik's "Consequences" is unavailabe for themusicresource (I tried). I am interested in Bendian's stuff - the rest of the OOP Eremite stuff I will probably pass...

That is the one I wanted the most! Drat. Hopefully they will come through on the Tom Bruno / Sabir Mateen disc.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hopefully they will come through on the Tom Bruno / Sabir Mateen disc.

I somehow cannot warm to Sabir Mateen's playing - he sounds so formulaic and predictable to me - like an audio excercise book of "free-jazz" saxophonist. I was recommended to try "Devine Mad Love" - any opinions on it?

Has anyone heard any recordings by Gavino Murgia? He appears on Rabih Abou-Khalil's most recent disc and I have really been enjoying his singing. AMG lists one disc, without review, that he appears on, but I haven't been able to find out too much more about him.

Gavino Murgia in addition to being vocalist, is a fantastic alto saxophonist and Sardenian bagpipes player. "Fantastic" means super-human technique and great sense for melody. It might have something to do with playing the folk bagpipes instruments, since this is already a second Italian musician (the other one being Gianni Gebbia) who has background in Italian folk music and plays some mighty saxophone.

Talking about Gebbia, I assume everybody here already has Arcana Mayor / Sonic Tarot Sessions (Rastascan, 2002), which I consider to be a breakthrough in solo saxophone performance? What do you mean, you never heard about Gebbia ?!?!?! YOu can find some short sound samples HERE.

Edited by Д.Д.

Hopefully they will come through on the Tom Bruno  / Sabir Mateen disc.

I somehow cannot warm to Sabir Mateen's playing - he sounds so formulaic and predictable to me - like an audio excercise book of "free-jazz" saxophonist. I was recommended to try "Devine Mad Love" - any opinions on it?

I haven't heard that one yet but would like to soon. have you heard We Are Not at the Opera, with Sunny Murray or any of his recordings with Test? I really enjoy all of those.

Has anyone heard any recordings by Gavino Murgia? He appears on Rabih Abou-Khalil's most recent disc and I have really been enjoying his singing. AMG lists one disc, without review, that he appears on, but I haven't been able to find out too much more about him.

Gavino Murgia in addition to being vocalist, is a fantastic alto saxophonist and Sardenian bagpipes player. "Fantastic" means super-human technique and great sense for melody.

hmmmmn...I don't recall postingthat quote here... B)

any recommendations for discs of his to explore?

Talking about Gebbia, I assume everybody here already has Arcana Mayor / Sonic Tarot Sessions (Rastascan, 2002), which I consider to be a breakthrough in solo saxophone performance? What do you mean, you never heard about Gebbia ?!?!?!

I don't have that disc, but I do have his album Outland, which I really enjoy. How would you compare the two?

keeping my post count soaring...

Have any of you explored Fred Anderson's work? I'm listening to Dark Days/Live in Verona right now and this album is killing me! Hamid Drake back when he was still Hank, some killer avant-groove, for lack of a better worrd, what more could you want. This is one of my favorite releases on Atavistic's UMS.

f0982071tkg.jpg

Talking about Gebbia, I assume everybody here already has Arcana Major / Sonic Tarot Sessions (Rastascan, 2002), which I consider to be a breakthrough in solo saxophone performance? What do you mean, you never heard about Gebbia ?!?!?!

I don't have that disc, but I do have his album Outland, which I really enjoy. How would you compare the two?

I have Outland, and it's a good disc, but it is just an introduction to the fascinating story of Arcana Major. Gebbia grew immensely between Outland and Arcana Major. I would guess that at this point solo performance is the only way for him to grow further - his solo performance is so... total, that presense of other musicians seems just redundant. And it's actually hard to think of musicians that would make equal-level parners for him (he has a nice trio record with Peter Kowald and Gunter Sommer called Capuccinni Klang (Splasc(H)), though, but Gebbia takes it easy on them on that session ;)... and these are Kowald and Sommer, after all )

Arcana Major... is an incredible record. Gebbia's technique is absolutely unmatched; his range is enormous (I didn't even know some of the sounds he produces can possibly be achieved on alto), the clarity of each sound even at the breakneck speed (means about as fast as alto saxophone has ever been played) is phenomenal, and his two-horns-at-a-time playing is the most convincing I've ever heard; but the main thing is his ideas - his melodies have influences of the south-Italian folk music and Italian soundtrack composers (Nino Rota), and are always unpredictable, humorous and captivating.

On one of the tracks he does some sort of 'Vivaldi's Four Seasons' Winter' thingie - pheeew, this sends chills down my spine every time I even think about it.

In last three-four years I've accumulated several thousands CDs, and if I had to choose one that made the most profound effect on me - this would be undoubtedly Arcana Major / Sonic Tarot Sessions.

Edited by Д.Д.

!!ARCANA MAJOR is da shit!! !!Arcana Major IS DA SHIT!!

(sorry, I have some browser problem and cannot change size of typings, so that's my only possibility to "scream"!)

Thanks a lot Д.Д. for making me know this disc! GREAT MUSIC, a truly inspired artist, using LOTS of fantastic techniques (I try to play some saxophone myself, and this disc is one more reason to never try again!!) never to show off, but always totally musical.

A true discovery!

Funny enough, another very cool disc I got recently (added it to my CDbaby order when I finally got the Organissimo CD, which is very fine in its own right, but does not belong to the Funny Rat thread) is Erik Friedlanders "Maldoror". Another discovery for me!

ubu

Forgive me for correcting what's probably just a typo, but as JOHN WILL WANT TO GET THIS ONE ASAP, its title is Arcana Major / Sonic Tarots Session.

This is a co-release with Stereo Supremo and is part of its Objet-A Series of releases. Arcana Major/Sonic Tarots Session is a limited edition of 500 copies and comes in a colorful, silkscreened paper sleeve.

I remember when I first turned Д.Д. on this one one how he gushed over how wonderful it was. :winky:

Yea, I wish.

Д.Д. found this one, passed along his praise and strongly suggested that it be bought NOW before it disappeared.

The man has been a saint to me ever since. :rsly:

I got this one from RASTASCAN RECORDS and owner (?) Gino Robair -- fantastic percussionist, by the way -- included with my order a free copy of Crespuscular Music (Masaoka / Nunn / Robair). :tup

ubu: I got your back...

John, from the reaction of these two deranged gentlemen you can see that Arcana Major can affect your mental health a bit, so be careful.

Arcana Major is Da Shit! Arcana Major is Da Shit!

Edited by Д.Д.

lately I've been buying cds like there is no tommorow.

I got some really great ones.

Including the super-excellent Mal Waldron & Steve Lacy - The Peak Volume 2 [hathut] (2 CDs), what is more amazing is the price I paid for it. Only $15 Australian (around $9 US) New!!!

Also got Billy Bang & Dennis Charles' Bangception Willisau 1982 (also hathut) for the same price.

I just got the Blue Note cd I ordered (Sam Rivers' Fuchsia Swing Song) and I bought a 4 cd Miles Davis Box set, the Columbia Collection just because it was cheap only $18 US approx new and the book has LP pictures in it, I hate compilations but who can resist.

Also got Billy Bang & Dennis Charles' Bangception Willisau 1982 (also hathut) for the same price.

I own this one and I've been hearing lots good things about it but I still haven't managed to listen to it.

Really MUST have a listen this weekend.

f0982071tkg.jpg

I'm listening to this one now.

Good stuff!

I have a lot of Fred Anderson (all good), but not this one.

I guess I will get all Anderson discs eventually. Powerful guy.

This gives me an idea for weekend listening - "Two Days in April" - Fred Anderson-Kidd Jordan-William Parker-Hamid Drake (Eremite). Have it for quite some time now, but haven't listened to it yet.

In case you don't know him, "Kidd" Jordan is of course the man to check out.

Including the super-excellent Mal Waldron & Steve Lacy - The Peak Volume 2 [hathut] (2 CDs), what is more amazing is the price I paid for it. Only $15 Australian (around $9 US) New!!!

Probably it was cheap because Hat has since reissued that set plus the other 2 CDs' worth of material from the sessions (previously issued as Round Midnight) as a 4-CD set, Live at Dreher.

Friends, I am listening to Anthony Braxton: "8 Duets with Peter N Wilson. Hamburg 1991 (Music & Arts), and it's amazing. Now, I am not a particularly big Braxton fan (and the larger his band is, the more dissatisfied I am with the music normally), but here everything seems to work just great - interesting (not too "conceptual") compositions, Braxton in top form (on every intstrument, particularly on Eb soprano saxophone - burning stuff), and Wilson is such a tasteful bassist - clever, understated and 100% supportive.

B00002MC0X.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I think it should be available from themusicresource.com for $7. I know, it' more than twice more expensive than Leo Lab stuff, but the music is probably worth such an investment.

Writing this, I recalled I have another excellent Braxton + bass duo record: Six Duets (1982). Featuring John Lindberg (Cecma).

Lindberg is much more "flashy" bassist than Wilson, and it gives the music a more nervous edgy feel.

And an interesting article from Thurston Moore on free jazz clasics: http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/1392/FreeJazz.html

Edited by Д.Д.