Guest Chaney

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

has anyone here heard Leroy Jenkins' Space Minds/New Worlds/Survival America

It is a pretty nice album, and I especially enjoy the song 'Through the Ages Jehovah', with it's subtle intereaction between Jenkins and George Lewis on trombone.

I got it last year as soon as it was reissued (on Tomato records). I listened to it only once (and not till the end, I think), and it seemed very dry and acdemic to me. I'll give it another listen soon.

By the way, I got the Thomas Chapin "Insomnia" CD (Knitting Factory), and well, what can I say... I guess I'd better start searching for this 8-CD "Alive" box of his...

Uh, we did discuss about this (or rather I think I did ask about Chapin or something) earlier in this discussion.

I just ordered it! Hope this doesn't break the bank... 54.30 Euros at Amazon Germany (with probably some custom costs added again later...)

ubu

Got the new Cecil FMP release - will report soon.

Please do!

There's a Schweizer thread in the artists forum, not much happening there, but some recommendations were made.

I guess I'll subscribe to Intakt soon, and then pick up some of their backlist discs - lots of Schweizer, and I guess at least some of them really interesting.

ubu

May I recommend to you gentleman (ladies we miss in this region, it seems, hélas!) another recording which I find rather exciting upon one thorough listen:

Irene Schweizer, Chicago Piano Solo (Intakt CD 065) (more)

A stellar night recorded live at the Empty Bottle in 2000.

ubu

based on the AMG review this disc sounds fantastic! I will definitely add this to my ever-expanding "to buy" list.

Mount Everest Trio "Waves From Albert Ayler". Whooooah! One of the most exciting bass-saxophone-drums trios I've heard. Masterpiece from 70s. Mats Gustaffson wrote some rapturous liner notes. GET IT NOW! Also available for $13 Atavistic

up for others. I am enjoying the shit out of this one. Time to check this thread started by Muskrat

That's some exilirating stuff indeed.

Edited by Д.Д.

Chaney -

I don't know if you had seen this yet but Brotzmann and Hamid Drake (with Joe McPhee for one show) are coming out to your neck of the woods:

Thursday, March 11 @ 8:00 pm

Brotzmann solo & Brotzmann / Drake Duo

Hallwalls

2495 Main St., Suite 425

(716) 835-7362

Buffalo, NY

Friday, March 12 @ 8:00 pm

J. Mcphee solo & Drake / Mcphee Duo

Hallwalls

2495 Main St., Suite 425

(716) 835-7362

Buffalo, NY

Saturday, March 13 @ 8:00 pm

Brotzmann / Mcphee Duo & Brotzmann / Mcphee / Drake Trio

Hallwalls

2495 Main St., Suite 425

(716) 835-7362

Buffalo, NY

Sunday, March 14 @ 8:00 pm

Brotzmann / Drake Duo

Westcott Community Center

826 Euclid Ave

Syracuse, NY

(315) 478-8634

Monday, March 15 @ 8:00

Brotzmann / Drake Duo

Milestones Music Room

170 East Ave

Rochester, NY

I'm planning on going to see the Die Like a Dog Trio (Brotz, Drake and William Parker) in Boston, earlier in this tour. I can't wait to finally see this group live!

I just saw your post in the live shows forum.  I guess you have seen this then.  B)

Whoops! My bad.

I deleted the post to which you refer as I thought that there'd be (as usual) little interest for that type of info on this board.

Good for you though in posting it within the Rat thread!

:tup

Thanks for the info--as I'm in Toronto, I may head down to see the McPhee concerts, unless there's a chance they'll come up here. Where'd you get the info? Hallwalls hadn't updated their site since November last time I checked--aauugh!

hamiddrake.com. I bookmarked the site since it seems to be very up to date with tour dates.