Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

David:  More pictures of your CD organizing labors on the way?

Sure.

Done with approximately 2/3 of CDs (up to P) - occupied two racks. If I am lucky, the rest will fit into one, but I doubt it, since S, T, W and Z are all pretty large.

Here is rack 1.

Edited by Д.Д.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Chaney

Nice rack(s)! :winky:

It's nice how you can leave a shelf out and use that area for display.

Does your Sinatra collection get its own rack? :ph34r:

Maybe we can have a contest to see who can come closest in counting CDs released by certain labels - like Impulse!, Soul Note, Black Saint, Hat... Those that have the most distinctive spine color schemes should be a breeze.

(...)

I also noticed there is a new Brotz trio album called Medicina scheduled for release through Atavistic.  No notes on who else is in the trio....

medicina_250.jpg

New trio recordings from Free Jazz giant Peter Brötzmann, issued on Atavistic- with Scandinavian masters Peeter Usuklya on drums and Peter Friis Nielsen on e-bass. Adventrous music from true men of the world, presented in a handsome Brötz art-brute package.

"There is not much time to talk about it while you better play it: guts out, music as life security- as a daily spoonful of strong kicking medicine..."- Peeter U.

As of today, 65 days until release.

Edited by Chaney

I also noticed there is a new Brotz trio album called Medicina scheduled for release through Atavistic.  No notes on who else is in the trio....

medicina_250.jpg

New trio recordings from Free Jazz giant Peter Brötzmann, issued on Atavistic- with Scandinavian masters Peeter Usuklya on drums and Peter Friis Nielsen on e-bass. Adventrous music from true men of the world, presented in a handsome Brötz art-brute package.

"There is not much time to talk about it while you better play it: guts out, music as life security- as a daily spoonful of strong kicking medicine..."- Peeter U.

As of today, 65 days until release.

Mmnnhnnn, I think Chant's bass clarinet is fine but only one of the two tracks with it really does a lot for me, the other kind of gets stuck in a rut. I think his tenor playing is very good--surprisingly little residue of Evan Parker in there, more Ayler + Sam Rivers. FWIW the current ish of The Wire contains a review of recent Matchless discs where the review seems keener on the bass clarinet than tenor on this album so what do I know. (The reviewer lets slip some unenthusiastic remarks about both The Blackbird's Whistle & Imponderable Evidence. In the context of The Wire which is generally boosterish about UK improv by veterans like Prevost that verges on a pan...)

Haven't heard Supersession--keep meaning to get it....... AMM? I'm no expert--I only know, let's see... The Crypt, The Nameless Uncarved Block, Newfoundland, The Inexhaustible Document, Live in Allentown. All of them close to essential, though I'd shoot for Newfoundland or The Inexhaustible Document first for rec's for newcomers. The Crypt (1968) is nice'n'ugly, not much to do with the later Tilbury incarnation of the group. When Eddie complains in his new book about improvisers playing too loud or using too much electronics & amplification he's clearly no longer the guy making a racket in the 1968 version of the band! -- The Nameless Uncarved Block is terrific if you don't mind the crummy sound-balance (Lou Gare's sax is virtually swallowed up). The title comes from the Tao Te Ching & I'm reminded of lines by a good friend of Eddie's, the poet Allen Fisher:

The nameless uncarved block

is freedom from desire

brings

peace of its own accord

and you will hate it

(Allen is also a terrific painter & has contributed a cover to a few Matchless releases--Band on the Wall for instance). -- Live in Allentown is good but somehow doesn't quite grab me in the same way as the others. It's a little brisker than others of that period. There's a long fire-alarm section at one point which is rather exciting, & is good for driving my wife nuts. -- I'm told Fine, one of the last AMM discs documenting the Tilbury/Rowe/Prevost formation, is one of their best.

I was dragging getting getting started with the whole AMM, but with all thhese recommendations looks like I don't have much choice now...

Wasn't sleepy this night, so listened to some new (for me) music (night is the best time for listening to music -you naturally concentrate better. I am sure my neighbours share this opinion).

Willem Breuker Kollektief - "Summer Music" (Marge, 2000). Recorded in Paris in 1978.

My first exposure to Breuker, and well, I am hooked! Truly unique music of a ten-piece band: VERY joyful and humorous (you get marches, Polkas, foxtrots, hilarious and charming (not silly) vocals on "Let's Fall in Love") - displaying good taste at the same time; surprising, skillful and very tuneful writing (with reference to "classical music" (cinema music, in particular), various European folk musics (from Nordic to Turkey); first class energetic blowing (from everyone... not a single mediocre solo!) and some serious infectious groove! What I also enjoy about it that despite large band

and a lot of things hapening (and direction is changing unpredictably every 30 seconds), music does not feel as too dense (as many Eurpean, particularly Italian large ensembles often do) - on the contrary it all sounds very light, elegant and easy. There is also one slow lyrical, hauntin short piece (without any blowing).

Bravo!

Essential, I would say.

I got my copy relatively recently from themusicresource for $13.

Liberty Ellman "Orthodoxy" (Red Giant, 1997).

Also a nice and refreshing one. Very relaxed, M-Base-like (but less mechanistic and more soulful than Steve Coleman M-base that I've heard) extended jams. Non-obtrusive slow groove drumming, warm bass (both electric and acoustic at the same time), clever playing (surprisingly, for a leader Ellman plays very little, - but when he does it is all tasteful (if not too original), warm a bit Kenny Burrell-like playing). Thoughtful melodic (no screaming) saxophone work from Eric Crystal, and very clever contribution from Vijay Iyer. Beautiful rendition of "Blood Count" as the end. Recommended!

I got this one from themusicresource also, for $11.

David, that was a pretty good description of Breuker's music, in my opinion!

What may be interesting is that many of his sidemen, of the Kollektief, have been with him since the beginning, among them the rhythm players, and both trumpet players. Some others have joined in recently, as I understand to sort of "refresh the blood" a bit, among them Hermine Doerlo, who is quite good.

Anyone here knows Fred van Hove's larger bands? I only heard a twenty minute excerpt of a concert he did at an earlier Taktlos festival in Zurich, with his nonet. Might fit in here, too, stylistically, though I would need to hear more of him!

ubu

For those in the U.S. I have found that Erstwhile distribution has the best prices for Matchless.

we do, but we're running low on most of them (we're out of Newfoundland), and I don't expect to restock for quite some time, if ever. all of the ones we still have are great ones, though, with the exception of the collaboration with Formanex/John White/Laurent Dailleau on Fibrr.

ErstDist is closed through the 26th, but if you follow the instructions on the site (http://www.erstwhilerecords.com/inventory/list.asp), Chris will fill your orders after that in the order he gets them.

Edited by jon abbey

Friends, you might all be interested in the new Barney Wilen disc, discussed in this thread.

The CD features Barney with the so-called Jazz Hip trio, which includes fine French bass and piano players, hitherto unknown to me, as well as the great swiss ex-pat, Daniel Humair on drums. Didier Lockwood sits in on violin for one lenghty tune. The opener is Ornette's "Lonely Woman." The recordings come from the years 1977-79, and it seems this disc (there's a big "1" on its cover) is the first in what is planned to be a series of discs containing music recorded by the artists, themselves (Wilen music, that is, only). Barney was hardly documented at that stage of his career, and he is playing GREAT! Sound is brittle, but good enough for such self-documented live recordings (this was the era before DAT and all those things made it easier to record in good quality).

Check it out, if you feel like hearing some more Barney!

I know he doesn't really belong into this thread, but then, the music on this new CD somehow does fit. For me, it shows a whole new side of Barney's, that I did not know anything about.

If you don't feel like emailing your credit card no., I can give you the phone number of the fellow to contact.

ubu

If you go to this link, you can hear some of the radio programmes I did:

http://www.lora.ch/sendungen.php?list=Sonu...spr%26auml%3Bch

The one on top (Sonntag 15. August) is the first of a two part programme we did with Stephan Wittwer (I did post some). It has excerpts from his albums "Sicht.04/etc." (domizil), "Streams" (Grob), "World of Strings" (Intakt).

The second programme (to follow on August 29), will have excerpts from "Werther/Wittwer" (Grob), "Doran/Studer/Wittwer" (ECM), and from a live concert we recorded ourselves in a jazzclub at Zurich, March of this year.

There are lenghty interview-passages in between, you'll have to fast-forward them, as it's all in swiss german, and I suppose there aren't that many funny-rat-alumni that do understand that.

Enjoy!

ubu

Listening to Louis Sclavis' "Napoli's Walls" right now. Like it pretty well!

Médéric Collignon, heard on trumpet, percussion, voice and electronics, adds some spice to the music. Besides him and Sclavis, the group consists of Hasse Poulsen (g), and Vincent Courtois (cello, electronics). A rather unusual line-up!

ubu

Médéric Collignon, heard on trumpet, percussion, voice and electronics, adds some spice to the music. Besides him and Sclavis, the group consists of Hasse Poulsen (g), and Vincent Courtois (cello, electronics). A rather unusual line-up!

ubu

Is Collignon doing a lot of vocal stuff? I saw him live, and he devoted a lot of time to vocal thing (with a lot of electronics invovled) -and he was good in it. He alse has quite a stage presense - looking more like an aggressive punk-rocker, very animated...

An excellent trumpeter, of course.

Vincent Courtois is a great cellist! I saw him live as well. Beautiful sound and phenomenal technique. I would be intrerested in eharing his own projects.

-------------------------

I was listening to Dewey Redman's "The Ear of the Behearer" today, and what a great album it is! Dewey just burns on alto, tenor and screeching musette (he played musette the last time I saw him live, and well, there is a big difference between good screeching and bad screeching). The band is great - Leroy Jenkins, a very interesting trumpeter with good ideas, Sirone on bass... And the compositions are strong - some deranged blues (and Dewey's tenor is perfect for deranged blues), a slow group (well) arranged piece, a ballad (wit gorgeous tenor sound) and some fiery, ultra-fast Ornettish stuff (but more aggressive and direct). But you all have this CD anyway, I assume.

I wonder if these were reissued in Japan - I would want to get the complete albums (the US Impulse! release is a compilation from two discs "The Ear fo the Behearer" and "Coincide". Listening to this, I relaizedthat even good 90s Dewey (as on "Walls-Bridges" (Black Saint), "In London" (Palmetto), "Momentum Space" (Verve) is far far far from this daring, in-your-face amd always surprising Dewey early 70s.

B0000241GV.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Edited by Д.Д.

ubu

Is Collignon doing a lot of vocal stuff? I saw him live, and he devoted a lot of time to vocal thing (with a lot of electronics invovled) -and he was good in it. He alse has quite a stage presense - looking more like an aggressive punk-rocker, very animated...

An excellent trumpeter, of course.

Vincent Courtois is a great cellist! I saw him live as well. Beautiful sound and phenomenal technique. I would be intrerested in eharing his own projects.

-------------------------

Yup, quite some vocal things! And I like him a lot, too. Agree on Courtois as well.

I have the live concert of the Napoli's Wall project from Jazzfest Berlin 2003 - quite good stuff! The CD I only burned from the library. (That library has an almost torn-apart copy of.... guess what?..... "Rara Avis"!!! Bastards! I'm sure they got the last copy lying around in Zurich, a day before I was aware of it being OOP...)

ubu

Finished with CD arranging. Everything fit comfortably in 3 CD racks, meaning I will have some space for a bokshelf in a room (otherwise I was going to through away all these bulky paper things ;)).

Here is CD Rack number 3 - from P (Prokofiev box at the top, Pullen Black Saints at the top left) to Z (fourth section is all Zappa).

Edited by Д.Д.

ubu

... Yeah, and quite boring music.

A major disappointement after the *great* "L'AFFRONTEMENT DES PRÉTENDANTS" (by the way, my copy is to sell make an offer somebody).

This music, who is supposing to comment some paintings/drawings of Ernest Pignon-Ernest, sound like a very artificial artefact.

To my hears, it just suitable to match a diapositives projection.

It 'll has a great future, I think as gingle and/or advertisement spots music.

On PORTAL I agree with KING UBU (foronce, recently).

ARRIVEDERCI LE CHOUARTSE is a great and magic album, the best MICHEL PORTAL ever with the two historics ET ALORS!!!!! (FUTURA) and NO NO BUT MAYBE - CHATEAUVALLON 1972.

Well, back to EDDIE PRÉVOST or, perhaps, DAVID S. WARE (smili(i)e here).

David nice installation and impressive collection.

From the spine, I see that you get a good numbers of BLACK SAINT, SOUL NOTE.

Seems to me than there is, also, some HAT ART (6000 coll.) and I think that I've seen ONE from IN SITU. If so, which one?

So, now, it's time that you go for your a new HIHG END improvement, no?

Edited by P.L.M

David nice installation and impressive collection.

From the spine, I see that you get a good numbers of BLACK SAINT, SOUL NOTE.

Seems to me than there is, also, some HAT ART (6000 coll.) and I think that I've seen ONE from IN SITU. If so, which one?

P.L.M., I don't think I have any older HAT ARTs (6000 series).. probably one or two maximum (Lacy, most likely). I have nearly all hat[NOW]art's, though - goth them all very cheap at zwei. Haven't listened to most of them, though...so far my favirite is - what else?! -Soviet Avantgarde piano.

I have quite a few IN SITUs (Denis Colin solo, McPhee/Lazro duo, Silva in tradition thing, some more Lazro, Didier Petit.. probably something else) - that was (is?) an excellent label...

Edited by Д.Д.

Is!

Most recent In Situ releases the Benoit/Agnel Rip-Stop (austere e.a.i./AMMish improv) & the excellent Andreu/Tusques Arc Voltaic. They also reissued a Francois Tusques disc from the 1960s which Dan Warburton urges me to get a hold of--I gather it's a foundation document of French improv, as important as Free Form, Machine Gun or Karyobin were. Anyone heard that? It's got Portal on it too.

For Courtois try Atem on Splasc(h) with Battaglia, Courtois, Rabbia, Godard & Pifarely. A couple compositions & a lot of little miniimprovs. Really nice disc--in sound/feel somewhere between some of the more adventurous/improvish ECM discs & some of the output of the Intakt label.

For Courtois try Atem on Splasc(h) with Battaglia, Courtois, Rabbia, Godard & Pifarely. A couple compositions & a lot of little miniimprovs. Really nice disc--in sound/feel somewhere between some of the more adventurous/improvish ECM discs & some of the output of the Intakt label.

I'll get this one - Cutois, Battaglia, Godard - are you kidding me!?...

As for Michel Portal, I have both of the CDs P.L.M. refers to (Chateauvallon 1972 (Universal France) and Alors! (Marge/Terrones)) but haven't listened to them yet. Time to do so. The one I did listen to though is Portal's Dejarme solo! (Dreyfus), and it'0s a phenomenal record, a milerstone in solo reed works, IMO. haven't listened to it for a long time - will do this week to refresh my memories.

Will have to look for the two Portals, P.L.M.!

On Sclavis, I think you're a bit too harsh - I don't really know what music that "Napoli's Walls" project is, what "etiquette" fits best. Not sure it's got much to do with jazz, and I sure wouldn't compare it to the Sclavis-Texier-Romano trio too much. The character of the Napoli's Walls group is thoroughly european, or better: mediterranean. I do like it.

In Saalfelden, last year, Sclavis also sat in with Portal. I've only heard two tracks from that concert, however, they're as good as the 1997 Willisau recording that some of you have gotten a copy of (please spread it on yourselves, I'm still facing some hard work with the Brötzel Tentet...)

I listened to this one this morning:

B000031WT7.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I rather like it, I must say. Solal is great, as usual. He sounds very monk-ish at moments!

Now spinning:

B0000028OW.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

GREAT! Friends, get this! (Well, I didn't exactly get it, just burned it from the library)

Really like it, really!

ubu

Columbia, released 1992.

Musicians include Art Baron (tb etc), Bill Frisell, Greg Cohen, Marc Ribot, Henry Threadgill, Don Alias, Don Byron, Vernon Reid, Henry Rollis (!), Chuck D (!), Bobby Previte and others. Some rap (presumably on the track with Chuck D, but I didn't look at the cover or tracklist while listening) - doesn't really fit in, I think. There are 19 tracks on the disc, with lectures from "Beneath the Underdog" during some tunes (all incorporated in the music). Pretty good, I think.

ubu