Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

:g

I'm having my doubts about Hans and his index.

He's been working on the thing for several months and every time I ask to see a draft, he's replies by asking for additional funding for his project. While I've always complied -- by this time having sent nearly $2k -- where's the index? (Maybe it's my imagination but Hans seems to mention the purchase of new CDs just after I send him money. What's up with that?)

I've even sent him all of the CDs I've mentioned owning in this thread! Why does he need my CDs?! "Research", answers Hans. (I may be mistaken but with that answer, I believe I heard muffled laughter over the phone line.)

I won't be played for a fool. I'll give him another six months but after that I'm cutting him off.

:blink:

Glad I don't know this guy, seems to be a wacky character... (have to be careful here, he might sue)

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have you guys heard Groundtruther?

No, but I saw the thread on it elsewhere and it looks very interesting. I'll have to give it a listen one of these days.

Chaney -

The inside of DMG is difficult to describe. The storefront is shaped like Zorn's face, and you enter through his mouth. Once inside you climb up a cliff face to a lifesize recreation of the jewish fort at Masada. Once inside, there is an altar upon which you must sacrifice a Kenny G disc. As it burns and turns to ash, a door opens and, after a series of tests and challenges I have been sworn to never reveal, Bruce and / or Manny (Manny, in my case) determine if you are worthy to purchase obscure avant-garde jazz and european free improv. If not, you are covered in Tzadik stickers and sent out of town with Naked City blasting into your eardrums.

Seriously, it is a lot smaller than I had imagined, but they have a very nice selection of new and used discs.

Seriously, it is a lot smaller than I had imagined, but they have a very nice selection of new and used discs.

Smaller??? It's 3 or 4 times bigger than the old place on E5th! That was tiny!

This was my first ever visit to DMG and Other Music.

Ah! The old place was more like a hallway. :g

I'll be there tonight.

One day Hollywood will call wanting to make a movie of this thread and then we'll all be rich!

Answer

It will also be acocmpanied by a multi-volume hard-cover Complete Funny Rat Transcriptions (with original spelling intact), with comprehensive index (that Hans is working on), indivual posters' taste evolution trees (like Chaney's unimpressive flirting with eai - the story of constant doubt and apprehension, or on a degenerative side - John B's and Д.Д.'s heavy metal deviations), list of naive innocent victums (Clunky buying Gebbia's "Arcana Major"), and illustrated biographies of all participants.

Hey, what about king ubu's Susie-Ibarra-fetish? :g

How are ther prices at DMG? They don't seem to be very cheap, from what I've seen online. They're also not adverse to charging an arm and a leg for rare items.

Edited by Chaney

Hey, what about king ubu's Susie-Ibarra-fetish?  :g

Not unless we make two versions: one for adults and one for all ages.

"Funny Rat - A grown-up's guide to [add attribute of your choice] music" :P

Sounds good to me. The only thing, some (most?) would argue about the "music" part of the title, so I woulsd leave it open. Or we can put "?" at the end.

How are ther prices at DMG?  They don't seem to be very cheap, from what I've seen online.  They're also not adverse to charging an arm and a leg for rare items.

Cheaper than other CD shops in town.

but, as you point out, they are not averse to charging ebay prices for rare items. The prices on FMP and Hat for example were not bad at all.

You guys should really listen to the college radio station I run jazz for. We stream online. The show you all would mostly be interested in is not mine but is aired 7-10 PM Eastern Standard Time on Sundays (when most Europeans are probably asleep).

We get ALL the new HatArt/Hatology, ALL the new EMANEM, ALL the new LEO. We have pretty much everything Sun Ra, Anthony Braxton, John Zorn, Susie Ibarra, Craig Taborn, Matthew Shipp, Steve Lacy and the like ever recorded. The rock-heads who know nothing about jazz tend to like anything Zorn puts his name on because frankly they don't understand any of it and they think they're cool for that - though I guess in theory they understand "the freedom principle."

Anyways if you require anything please inquire. We also have OLD vinyl in stock. We often grant requests of rips to CD from vinyl but I shouldn't be telling you that.

Matt

Edited by cannonball-addict

I get a kick out of DMG. I twice made the mistake of phoning them on a Friday wanting to place an order and I was scolded each time for doing so as they were busy waiting on their in-store customers. I got really pissed the second time and lost my temper. (I have a bit of a temper; must be the Italian in me.) After my fit, the really very nice guy on the other end helped me out.

I get a kick out of DMG.  I twice made the mistake of phoning them on a Friday wanting to place an order and I was scolded each time for doing so as they were busy waiting on their in-store customers.  I got really pissed the second time and lost my temper.  (I have a bit of a temper; must be the Italian in me.)  After my fit, the really very nice guy on the other end helped me out.

I was there on Wed. afternoon and they were talking about Black Friday. It's the busiest day of the year.

Edited by 7/4

Anyways if you require anything please inquire. We also have OLD vinyl in stock. We often grant requests of rips to CD from vinyl but I shouldn't be telling you that.

Matt

Hi Matt. Have I mentioned that you are my very favorite poster on this entire board?

Matt's the GREATEST!

I :wub: Matt.

:winky:

Anyway, show sounds interesting. Got a link?

By the way, you'd be surprised how late the European lads of this board stay up. I know it always amazes me.

I get a kick out of DMG. I twice made the mistake of phoning them on a Friday wanting to place an order and I was scolded each time for doing so as they were busy waiting on their in-store customers. I got really pissed the second time and lost my temper. (I have a bit of a temper; must be the Italian in me.) After my fit, the really very nice guy on the other end helped me out.

I was there on Black Friday and heard several calls just like you describe. I was cracking up, because they were cursing up a storm, but always ended up helping out the caller anyway.

By the way, you'd be surprised how late the European lads of this board stay up.  I know it always amazes me.

Mwah, it's only 5:50 PM over here right now.

^_^

Yeah, time to go to bed to be fresh and rested by the 7pm (EST) radio show.

Sunday, David. Sunday!

Maybe we could get Flurin to record each weekly three hour show and then he could disperse sets all over the globe. John (couw) could do the artwork!

Edited by Chaney

Maybe we could get Flurin to record each weakly three hour show and then he could disperse sets all over the globe. John (couw) could do the artwork!

as things have been developing, couw has been doing the recording as well off late. He went over his net traffic limit 3 months in a row already. Time to stop downloading all that stoopid music. Or get another connection. Guess it will have to be the latter.

By the way, you'd be surprised how late the European lads of this board stay up.  I know it always amazes me.

Mwah, it's only 5:50 PM over here right now.

^_^

Yeah, time to go to bed to be fresh and rested by the 7pm (EST) radio show.

Sunday, David. Sunday!

Maybe we could get Flurin to record each weakly three hour show and then he could disperse sets all over the globe. John (couw) could do the artwork!

Ahh, darts.... Sunday. Thanks Tony. Otherwise, I would have been listening to a show today at 7pm (EST) and would have surely become a Hank Mobley fan just because I would have assumed this is the latest hatOLOGYLeoEMANEM release.

And yes, I agree regarding commanding ubu to record the shows - the man is in constant need of recording, burning and shipping out something - does not matter what.

Edited by Д.Д.