Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The last of three concerts, and definite highlight of the night, and one of the best concerts I ever witnessed, was Doppelmoppel (both Bauers-tb; Joe Sachse-g; Uwe Kropinski-g).

yes, Doppelmoppel was one of the best few shows I saw in the four years I went to Victo, great band! great to hear they're still playing also, they must be closing in on 25 years or so together by now...

The last of three concerts, and definite highlight of the night, and one of the best concerts I ever witnessed, was Doppelmoppel (both Bauers-tb; Joe Sachse-g; Uwe Kropinski-g).

yes, Doppelmoppel was one of the best few shows I saw in the four years I went to Victo, great band! great to hear they're still playing also, they must be closing in on 25 years or so together by now...

they got together in 1981 I believe

I found I do have a CD with Assif Tsahar in my collection: Andy McWain Quartet "Starfish" (Fuller Street Music, 2002). Started listening to it, but got annoyed by third track. Just empty dead bullshit. Tsahar has chops, though.

Gonna listen to some Romanian folk music instead before going out (as Tony kindly relieved me of the honorable duty to listen to the 7PM (EST) radion show tonight). Was in Romania recently (and what a run-down country it is, my friends) and picked up a couple of CDs. Should be good.

Also, listened to some of the HARRRRDOCORRRRRE Jazz (as understood by Universal Japan: LINK), namely Sun Ra "It's After The End Of The World" (recorded live in 1970), and this is some good stuff! Now, I am not the biggest Sun Ra fan out there - I feel a lot of stuff is too sloppy, and his 80s-90s stuff tends to fall into a somehwat predictable routine - but the best stuff (like Heliocentric Worlds of Sun Ra VOl. I (ESP)) is phenomenal, IMO, and this record is one of the best Sun Ra I've heard. There is quite a bit of free blowing by Gilmore and Allen, and a lot of tinkering with electric keyboard (which I like). Some humorous (and rather short) recitation as well. And the sound of this Japanese reissue is excellent.

As there is never enough of HARRRRDCORRRRRE Jazz, I picked up all of the series (except for Don Cherry, since I already have this disc in less hardcore edition), so I'll be reporting soon.

Regarding Sun Ra, I would encourage everybody to check out the Solo Piano Recital (Leo) released a couple of years ago. Really surprising stuff (and more interesting than other solo Sun Ra releases).

gy21.jpg

Well well well, I see you had some good fun on my back... but as a king, I am able to forgive and pardon you all.

One for the annals of the "rat": king ubu heard/saw Roscoe Mitchell solo last night. And HELL this was GREAT (not to say "da shit", as our little community would expect). Seriously: that man is completely at home with himself, his horn, his music. He played soprano and alto, each for two segments. His mastery of the instrument is obvious, but the most striking thing is how beautiful he is, as a man, and as a musician. He was there Friday night as well, standing around very shy, barely talking to anyone in the breaks between concerts, but on stage he had full presence. The density in his playing often reminded me of Cecil Taylor.

Well, so much about it. Just let me say I was deeply impressed and I definitely recommend to anyone reading: check him out!

Before Roscoe, Irène Schweizer performed in duo with French singer Françoise Kubler. That concert was nice as well. Kubler has performed with Boulez and the Ensemble Intercontemporain, as well as appearing with freely impovised music.

Schweizer and Kubler obviously had lots of fun on stage, and what they played often had a humorous note to it. Contrary to the singer who appeared on Friday in duo with Barry Guy (Savina [not Sabina, sorry] Yannatou), I wasn't put off by Kubler. She has more of a classically trained voice, and is just as much of a virtuoso, but she didn't have that want to show off all she can do with her voice, her singing/vocalizing had more of a logical flow to it.

ubu

Drimala sale:

Just in time for the holiday shopping season, we have reduced the price of all our bargain discs to $4.99 each plus shipping and handling.  No limit and no minimums, but quantities are extremely limited on most discs.  We still have some great obscurities, and not so obscure, from artists like Joe McPhee, Alan Silva, Bill Cole, Joel Futterman, Gold Sparkle Band, Jameel Moondoc, William Hooker, Andrew Cyrille, Maarten Altena, Otomo Yoshihide, and many many more to select from.

Just click on http://www.drimala.com/bargains/gallery1.htm to get started.

A lot of good stuff here. I would highly recommend (insist, basically) Michel Lambert's "Out Twice" (mp3s and reviews here) -it's on page 3 of the bargains list.

Edited by Д.Д.

the link

Click on High or Low depending on your internet connection.

Thanks for the link.

I'm trying to listen but the stream doesn't seem to be working.

David: That Lambert sounds really good. Nice fat bass. Unfortunately, I've already spent my music allowance... for DECEMBER!

You all ordered THIS ONE, right? It doesn't get any more Funny Rat!

King Ubu: Least you could do is swing by and pick a few of us up before going to the great shows you're describing.

Edited by Chaney

King Ubu: Least you could do is swing by and pick a few of us up before going to the great shows you're describing.

:g

I guess you needn't complain, yes? This kind of concert happens here maybe twice a year (the last one of the quality of the Mitchell and Doppelmoppel concerts was the Barry Guy one that also will be remembered in the annals of the "rat" as the first ever in person-meeting of the russian and the king.

Now I am tempted to go see Tim Berne this week, though I bought so many CDs taht I don't know if I can afford that, too...

ubu

Here is the playlist for last night's show, in case you missed it:

Program: Black White and Blue

Start: Time: 19:00 Date: 11-28-2004

End: Time: 22:00 Date: 11-28-2004

Artist Album TrackName

Jazz Passengers - Implement Yourself - Indian Club Bombardment

Kent Carter String Trio - The Willisau Suites - Broken Clusters

Fred Anderson Quartet - Milwaukee Tapes V. 1 - Bombay (Children of Cambodia)

Geri Allen - In The Year Of The Dragon - In The Year Of The Dragon

Alex Heitlinger Sextet - Green Light - Crazy Jake

Ray Anderson/Mark Helias/Gerry Hemingway - You Be - Stole Stroll

Billie Holiday - The Commodore Master Takes - He's Funny That Way

Lee Konitz - Palo Alto - Marshmallow

Andrew Cyrille/Mark Dresser/Marty Ehrlich - C/D/E - BBJC

Albert Ayler - Love Cry - Love Cry

Duke Ellington and his Orchestra - Carnegie Hall Concert - January 4, 1946 Rugged Romeo

Hank Mobley - Another Workout - Out Of Joe's Bag

Keith Jarrett/Gary Peacock/Jack DeJohnette - The Out-of-Towners - I Love You

Carlo Actis Dato Quartet - Ginosa Jungle - Sahel

The Alexander Von Schlippenbach Trio - Pakistani Pomade - Ein Husten fur Karl Valentin

Betty Carter - Finally - Seems Like Old Times/I Remember You/Remember

McCandless/Lande/Barshay/Hall - Shapeshifter - Rigamarole

Don Byron - Ivey-Divey - Lefty Teachers At Home

Ab Baars Trio - A Free Step - Sticks and Stones

McCoy Tyner - Illuminations - Alone Together

String Trio of New York - Intermobility - Ju Ju

Sun Ra - The Singles - Great Balls Of Fire

Ellery Eskelin - Figure Of Speech - #107

Chad Lawson Trio - Unforeseen - In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning

Sonny Rollins - Next Album - Keep Hold of Yourself

Chicago Underground Trio - Flamethrower - Warm Marsh

Richard Grossman Trio - In The Air - Extra Hands

Douglas/Sclavis/Lee/Van Der Schyff - Bow River Falls -Dernier Regards/Vol

Omar Sosa - Mulatos - Ternura

I can see you salivating.

Edited by cannonball-addict

Drimala sale:

Just in time for the holiday shopping season, we have reduced the price of all our bargain discs to $4.99 each plus shipping and handling.  No limit and no minimums, but quantities are extremely limited on most discs.  We still have some great obscurities, and not so obscure, from artists like Joe McPhee, Alan Silva, Bill Cole, Joel Futterman, Gold Sparkle Band, Jameel Moondoc, William Hooker, Andrew Cyrille, Maarten Altena, Otomo Yoshihide, and many many more to select from.

A lot of good stuff here. I would highly recommend (insist, basically) Michel Lambert's "Out Twice" (mp3s and reviews here) -it's on page 3 of the bargains list.

Thanks for posting this! They have some fantastic discs on sale. Too bad I already own a lot of the ones I would want to pick up.

Has enyone here heard Kent Kessler's solo disc and have a recommendation pro or con?

Drimala sale:

Thanks for posting this! They have some fantastic discs on sale. Too bad I already own a lot of the ones I would want to pick up.

Has enyone here heard Kent Kessler's solo disc and have a recommendation pro or con?

I did a search for it (typing the title in the search field and displaying results as posts) - you'll find a lukewarm review of Nate Dorward's.

Any recommendations? I have the McPhee, and I might be interested in the Hal Russell and Bobby Few, but most of these artists are more or less unknown to me.

ubu

Drimala sale:

I did a search for it (typing the title in the search field and displaying results as posts) - you'll find a lukewarm review of Nate Dorward's.

Any recommendations? I have the McPhee, and I might be interested in the Hal Russell and Bobby Few, but most of these artists are more or less unknown to me.

ubu

LAMBERT! LAMBERT! LAMBERT!!!!!!

Flurin, keep in mind that Drimala does not help with customs arrangements, so you are likely to pay taxes if the order (including shipping) is more than Sfr. 50.

Drimala sale:

ubu

LAMBERT! LAMBERT! LAMBERT!!!!!!

Flurin, keep in mind that Drimala does not help with customs arrangements, so you are likely to pay taxes if the order (including shipping) is more than Sfr. 50.

I saw your Lambert recommendation, was too fast typing before to include it. And yes, I noted that they don't offer any nice way of handling our custom problem... I guess I'd order 4 discs maximum anyway, maybe 6. 8 would already be past the 50 Franks limit, I'm afraid.

ubu

out of the discs I have heard I would highly recommend these:

Requiem for Jack Kirby - Gregg Bendian's INTERZONE

Continental Jazz Express - Bobby Few

Trinity - Joe McPhee, Harold Smith, Mike Kull

Sparks Fly Upward - Alex Cline Ensemble

Music of Eric von Essen, Vol II - various musicians from the Cryptogramophone factory

Not as highly recommended, but a good deal at $5:

White Boy Blues - Tom Bruno solo

Very highly recommended, but not for all tastes, four discs on Erstwhile:

We Are Everyone In the Room - Stilluppsteypo and TV POW

Right After - Guiseppe Lelasi and Domenico Sciajno

What A Wonderful World - Jerome Noetinger and ErikM

Time Travel - Gunter Muller and Otomo Yoshihide

The first Erst is almost oop. The second two are more accessible than the first two.

ubu - What a Wonderful World, Time Travel, and We Are Everyone in the Room are recommended. Hmm, if you were to get only one, I can't really say which one, maybe What a Wonderful World or We Are Everyone in the Room, but even then it's a difficult call, I really enjoy the second half of Time Travel, too.

ubu - What a Wonderful World, Time Travel, and We Are Everyone in the Room are recommended. Hmm, if you were to get only one, I can't really say which one, maybe What a Wonderful World or We Are Everyone in the Room, but even then it's a difficult call, I really enjoy the second half of Time Travel, too.

Thanks for your recommendations. I'm not sure I want to spend any more money, though this is a tempting offer... I've heard some concert stuff by both Noetinger and ErikM, so I would tend to go for that one. And then, didn't the Muller/Yoshihide get a lukewarm review in the Wire, some months ago?

Let me add one recommendation: "Mental Cruelty" by George Gruntz (featuring, among others, Kenny Clarke and Barney Wilen) is a terrific European hard bop recording of that era (I think it's from 1961).

Joe McPhee's "Trinity" is the second among the offered items that I have, and it's recommended as well!

ubu

I saw your Lambert recommendation, was too fast typing before to include it. And yes, I noted that they don't offer any nice way of handling our custom problem... I guess I'd order 4 discs maximum anyway, maybe 6. 8 would already be past the 50 Franks limit, I'm afraid.

Flurin: Let me know if you want to use my address as the ship to address and then I can ship the CDs to you. You could then PayPal the postage to me. It could save you some hassle with customs.