Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

I'm not familiar with drummer Johnny McLellan but he seems to have a Randy Peterson sound: a bit militaristic... and sounding as if he were musically stumbling forward / rushing headlong (?). Me likes!

Funny enough, this mornig I was listening to excellent Mat Maneri Trio - "For Consequence" (Leo, 2003) with Randy Peterson (and Ed Schuller). Peterson is one of my favorite drummers, probably. McLellan and Peterson are indeed somewhat similar, but McLellan sounds more pointillistic to me.

This evening will listen to Joe McPhee / Hamid Drake duo (recorded just days apart from Grand Marquis(should be a totally different story, I presume(.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Chaney

McLellan and Peterson are indeed somewhat similar, but McLellan sounds more pointillistic to me.

Can't quite tell but from what I'm hearing on my magnificent office sound system, I would agree.

Product_136262.jpg

:rfr

Oh joy! Time to stop listening and get back to the grind.

Edited by Chaney

seen elsewhere - Joe Maneri's quartet is calling it quits:

BARBES PRESENTS A FAREWELL TO THE JOE MANERI QUARTET.

A three day mini-festival featuring legendary reeds player Joe Maneri. April 20, 21 and 22.

Joe Maneri started out his career in the 50's as a microtonal composer who studied under Joseph Schmid, a student of Alban Berg - while at the same time, performing Greek, Syrian, Jewish and Turkish music on clarinet. Both sides of his musical personality ended up in his early compositions, along with a strong interest in what would eventually been known as free jazz. The results can be heard on Paniot's Nine, the influential album he recorded in 1965 and was released by John Zorn only 30 years later - leading to a regain of interest in his music.

In 1995, the celebrated reed player and microtonal theorist formed the Joe Maneri quartet with his son, violinist Mat Maneri, who had already made a name for himself in the creative music scene, both as a sideman and with his band Persona. The quartet quickly became a jazz institution which released over 10 influential and critically albums

After an exciting 10 years, the quartet has decided to call it quits and will play its final concerts at Barbes. They will be joined by trumpeter Herb Robertson on Wednesday, pianist Dave Burrell on Thursday and vibraphonist Matt Moran on Friday. The concerts will be filmed for an upcoming DVD.

=================================================

THE JOE MANERI QUARTET: With Mat Maneri on electric viola, John Lockwood, bass and Randy Peterson on drums

Wed April 20th with special guest Herb Robertson, 8 and 10pm. $8 per set

Thur April 21st, with special guest Dave Burrell on piano, 8 and 10pm. $8 per set

Fri April 22d, with special guest Matt Moran on vibes. 8pm only. $8

Barbes is located at 376 9th st in park slope, Brooklyn

718 965 9177 - www.barbesbrooklyn.com

Edited by John B

Funny enough, this mornig I was listening to excellent Mat Maneri Trio - "For Consequence" (Leo, 2003) with Randy Peterson (and Ed Schuller). Peterson is one of my favorite drummers, probably. McLellan and Peterson are indeed somewhat similar, but McLellan sounds more pointillistic to me.

That's funny, I'm currently re-appraising my free/improv discs and am now listening to:

B000087D7C.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg.

I'm not sure I like it, but I agree with David's remarks re Randy Peterson.

Loved the McPhee/McLellan, by the way, great interaction between the two. "Pointillistic" is a good description of McLellan's playing.

Edit: the Maneri's not for me, I'm thinking about selling his CDs.

Edited by J.A.W.

seen elsewhere - Joe Maneri's quartet is calling it quits

Could never really get into Maneri Sr. As I mentioned, my favorite track of his is the one when he recites a poem in an imaginery language. But I am returning to his discs (of which I have quite a few for whatever reason) from time to time.

Edited by Д.Д.

nice reviews! I've been very impressed by the four ErstLives so far. 1 and 3 are the most immediately gripping, but I've been spending a lot more time with 4 recently. I really can't recommend this disc highly enough. The four musicians work in an area closer to what I would expect from Sachiko than from Pita or Fennesz, but the level of communication and responsiveness is amazing. Never mind the fact that I really enjoy the sounds these four create, and I am most definitely not a huge fan of sine waves as a musical instrument.

The "editorial" at the top of the page is funny. I almost forgot what day today is.

004 is my favorite of the erstlives by far. I am dying to recieve 005.

Guest Chaney

Anyone familiar with any of the Edgetone releases?

I have only Left Coast Improv Group: April/May 2002, purchased from Drimala for $5. Drimala bargain bin, page 4, offers a bunch of other Edgetone titles for $5 but when I placed my (insane) order, this was the only one they were offering that I found to be of interest. (Haven't listened to it yet but soon will.)

I'd buy KLiP trio: Herman Sonny Blount (with Garth Powell :tup ) but the darned thing is only available on vinyl.

I was about to mention that Rent Romus: pkd vortex project, music inspired by Phil K. Dick looks / sounds interesting but it's OOP!

Otherwise, as I'm unfamiliar with many of the musicians, I can't comment further. Nice, though, that the site offers sound samples.

ON THE EDIT: Left Coast Improv Group is recommended, especially at only $5 from Drimala. Be aware: this is a CDR. I grew concerned as I was listening because as I hit track 11 (there are 12 tracks), my CD player let out some odd screeching sounds. Turns out that apparently my ailing player is nearing its death.

From the liner notes: All twelve tracks were improvised by the group. However, the members were asked to contribute a few simple ideas for some pieces. This brought forth Bob Marsh's 'Spontaneous Auto Bios,' Karen Stackpole's 'Trading Shapes,' Ron Heglin's 'Concentrated Meditation,' and Jim Ryan's '4-@-a-Time' and 'Gongpiece.' The other seven compositions are totally free improvisations.

Bob's conception had each group member (except one instance of doubling-up) speak a brief spontaneous autobiographical vignette while the others created an ambient environment of long and short, rising and falling tones. Karen's idea was to divide the ensemble into two sections which would trade soft and abrasive textures / shapes. Ron Heglin asked each musician to concentrate on a single childhood experience or dream, and express that with reacting to the playing of the others. Jim Ryan's 4-@-a-Time required that four and only four musicians play at once; with someone (anyone) dropping out for at least fifteen seconds whenever a previously silent player arbitrarily entered. His gong piece asked the group to support Karen's crescendo on gongs with long tones from ppp to fff.

END

Most of these conceits work.

left_coast_2_small_1.jpg

Edited by Chaney

Among other wonderful things upcokming on EMANEM, there is one that I think Tony will be definitely interested in exploring:

Gail Brand / Tim Perkis / Gino Robair / John Shiuba / Matthew Sperry 'Supermodel Supermodel' (2002-3)

My EMANEM collection is meagre (not more than 10 CDs, at best), and I should start exploring it more.

Guest Chaney

Like John, I'm Emanem deficient.

Yum! Nice lineup* on Supermodel Supermodel. I'll have to keep an eye out for that one. Maybe by the time it's released, the Dollar will have gained some strength and I'll actually be able to afford an Emanem title! Hmmm... $19.50 + shipping + NYS sales tax per single Emanem disk from Cadence and $18 -- shipping included -- direct from Emanem. Anyway, my CD player is Pope-ing, whoops!... pooping out on me so the buying of music must wait until I get a new player.

* Not familiar with trombonist Gail Brand. Anyone know her?

mbrand.jpg

Born in London in 1971; trombone.

Gail Brand was brought up in Birmingham and returned to London in 1993 to study for a music degree at Middlesex University. Here she studied with Chris Batchelor and Stuart Hall and studied composition with Veryan Weston; she graduated in 1996. She has been playing the trombone for 20 years and in that time has played in all genres of music ranging from classical music to jazz and pop music, live and in the studio. She has been playing on the London improvising scene since 1994. She was a member of 'Mingus Moves' with saxophonist Chris Biscoe, trumpet player Henry Lowther and Veryan Weston on piano.

Current associations include:

• the quartet 'Lunge' with Mark Sanders (drums), Phil Durrant (electronics, violin) and Pat Thomas (electronics, keyboards)
  • a member of Simon H. Fell's quintet with Alex Maguire, Alex Ward, Simon Vincent
  • a member of Kelsey Michael's group 'Minnow', which includes bassist John Edwards, drummer Mark Sanders and pianist Liam Noble
  • a member of the London Improvisers Orchestra (and the earlier London Skyscraper/Butch Morris Conduction Tour of the UK in 1997
  • 'The Brand/Morris Alliance': a 'twisted improvising duo' with twisted Keyboardist/Sampler Darren Morris

Not familiar with trombonist Gail Brand.  Anyone know her?

I have an EMANEM Freedom in the city 2001: small groups set, where Ms. Brand is featured on a couple of tracks - will listen to it later today.

Edited by Д.Д.

I found this on a Sonic Youth site:

Legend of the Blood Yeti Book One:

Spiral bracts / The dwarf willow / Fascicles --- resin canals --- the nutlike seed / Blinter rust / Qanit/aput: capped columns - spiral dendrites / Pediculus portentosus --- pediculo desperandum est the unnameable

Book Two:

The body of desire --- the fluid animal thing --- / Pulpous concord --- the tongueless mound --- / Despair --- flight to blackout

Notes: The 13 ghosts are Alex Ward - clarinet, alto sax, puny amp; Switch - power electronics, hammond b-3, ring modulation, audio-diffraction. With special guests: Derek Bailey - acoustic & electric guitars (book one); Thurston Moore - electric guitar & double bass (book two, right channel); Andrew Clare - electric guitar (book two, left channel, when present).

199? CD on ???? (US)

266.jpg

http://www.inchug.force9.co.uk/frame.htm

The website's main page is immensely annoying, but they do have tow tracks from this disc available as mp3s. (edit - mp3s not working)

Edited by John B

Guest Chaney

Had a first and fairly quick listen to Braxton's Donna Lee in the Universal "Free America" series, and found it rather disappointing; it sounded a bit dated to me, which, of course, isn't that strange with decades-old recordings, but still...

I'm having a first listen right now and I too am less than thrilled. Of course, my splitting headache isn't helping.

News from Utech Records:

"A quick bit of news... the new solo recording from Steve Hubback

"Trees, Rocks and Ravens" [uR-008] is available now on the Utech Records site.

The release coincides with a piece on Steve in the May issue of Modern

Drummer magazine. Steve talks with Michael Bettine about his music and metalsmithing. The article is nicely written and will hopefully introduce some folks to this deserving musician and artist.

I will have a proper update with more new releases later in the month."

------------------------------------

As mentioned, of 4 first Utech releases I have, Lasse Marhaug is the winner, Frode Gjerstad I am not sure about yet, and Ras Moshe stuff... well, I'll give them one more try, and if it does not work out well, they will embark on a trip to Vermont - I have a feeling some people there might enjoy it more.

Edited by Д.Д.

Guest Chaney

AND I SPENT $13 ORDERING AVANTI!  AND THE DISK IS, AT THIS VERY MOMENT, ON ITS WAY!

Dear lord...

Send it as a present to somebody - jon abbey, for example.

Never did receive Avanti and so I was issued a refund.

Just received this from the seller:

Hi Anthony,

Thanks so much for your kind message -- and I have a suggestion. Things were very crazy when you ordered your CD. I planned to send it to you, but was away for 5 weeks, with very brief trips home.

What happened: I forgot to mail your package. (I'm very embarrassed about this!)

If you're still interested, please let me know, and we can work something out. If necessary, I will re-list the CD.

My sincerest apologies for my mistake.

Best,

P.

END

My answer? A little white lie that I had already ordered this gem from someone else.

The seller really was a sweet gal. She has her disk to resell and I was spared from wasting my money on this dreck.

:party:

Jon: I know you were eagerly waiting for me to send this one to you. Better stop staring at the mailbox. Sorry.

Tony, you could probably put Jon through directly to the lady - the disc might still be avialable.

-------------------------

Started listening to Braxton's Donna Lee and got bored by the middle of track 2. I am not sure it sounds dated, but it does sound pretentious and supreficial. Braxton all over the place displaying his chops mrope than ideas IMO, and then there is this MIchael Smith guy with his romantic "profound" classical-leaning piano. Oliver Johnson on drums is great, though.

Now, the solo Braxton Free America disc - Saxophone Improvisations Series F is another story alltogether - some of the best Braxton I've heard.

Started listening to Braxton's Donna Lee and got bored by the middle of track 2. I am not sure it sounds dated, but it does sound pretentious and supreficial. Braxton all over the place displaying his chops mrope than ideas IMO, and then there is this MIchael Smith guy with his romantic "profound" classical-leaning piano. Oliver Johnson on drums is great, though.

Very true.

With "dated" I meant that it hasn't aged very well, on the contrary.

After one listen to ARP Music I have to agree with Chaney. I'll give it another chance but, so far, this disc is really not clicking with me. Paul Moss doesn't seem to have any ability to hear what Kuniyoshi is playing, or he is choosing to ignore it. He sounds remarkably jarring and out of place on a few tracks. On the tracks where he doesn't annoy me the sound is pleasant enough, but I can see Chaney's point about the music sounding "new-agey."

Guest Chaney

Tony, you could probably put Jon through directly to the lady - the disc might still be avialable.

biglaugh.gif

Excellent idea!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After one listen to ARP Music I have to agree with Chaney...

Oh no! I really was hoping that you'd agree with David.

If you can't successfully play that one forward, feel free to sell it on eBay, if you like.

I'm confident that the wondrous Dal Vivo! will be more to your liking.

biglaugh.gif