Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

Guest Chaney

Nothing that realy interests me here. I can very easily imagine what it will all sound like - and this is not how I like my improvised music.

I tend to agree with you David.

What mainly interested me was the DVD.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And on the other side of the aisle, I'll give it a thumbs down.

For me, Berlin Djungle manages to occasionally sound interesting but otherwise it's the all too usual scream-fest; there's a bit of delicacy, the instruments intermingle nicely, there's the expected jostling and hostilities, the expected fight breaks out, the violence peaks, an opponent is slain, all gets quiet and the crowd roars its approval.

To my ears, yesterday, what you describe was a good thing! In a way, this disc reminds me of an old-fashioned blowing / cutting session: a big group of horn players all trying to out-blow each other on consecutive solos. This album is sort of the european free improv version of Johnny Griffin's A Blowing Session. Definitely not what I always what I want to hear but, when I am in the mood for it, it really hits the spot.

Same here; Tony's comment sounded like a positive review to me... :lol:

I hve this Oliva/Roulin "Tristano" disc on Sketch, but remember not liking it too much - seemed to polished for me. Will revisit it soon.

I like it. But it's music done "by the rules".

You should (and UBU too) check their pairing on a CD publish by EMOUVANCE who's name is... TRISTANO.

I suppose it will suit better your taste.

They play the tunes of TRISTANO, or those associate to him (317 EAST 32 ND, LINE UP, REQUIEM, LENNIE-BIRD, YOU DON'T NOW WHAT LOVE IS, WOW, DREAMS + one from LENNY POPKIN) and some originals by both in a straigth piano duo.

And it's really amazing.

Is this the Sketch in question?

B00024HW4Q.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

And this the one that's better, I guess:

B000027PJG.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

And here's some Oliva that looks interesting:

B00004SYZE.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B000059QY4.08.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Anyone knows of a place where Sketch discs are cheaper than on French Amazon?

I still ought to pick up the two Waldrons and some of the Humairs!

And on the other side of the aisle, I'll give it a thumbs down.

For me, Berlin Djungle manages to occasionally sound interesting but otherwise it's the all too usual scream-fest; there's a bit of delicacy, the instruments intermingle nicely, there's the expected jostling and hostilities, the expected fight breaks out, the violence peaks, an opponent is slain, all gets quiet and the crowd roars its approval.

To my ears, yesterday, what you describe was a good thing! In a way, this disc reminds me of an old-fashioned blowing / cutting session: a big group of horn players all trying to out-blow each other on consecutive solos. This album is sort of the european free improv version of Johnny Griffin's A Blowing Session. Definitely not what I always what I want to hear but, when I am in the mood for it, it really hits the spot.

Same here; Tony's comment sounded like a positive review to me... :lol:

Except for the thumbs down comment, I guess :D

John's comment pretty much described how I used to feel about most of Brötzmann's albums, but they're increasingly boring me now and they'll probably end up in my sale thread elsewhere on this board...

I have this Oliva/Roulin "Tristano" disc on Sketch, but remember not liking it too much - seemed to polished for me. Will revisit it soon.

The one I meant is Sept variations sur Lenny Tristano (Sketch).

I hve this Oliva/Roulin "Tristano" disc on Sketch, but remember not liking it too much - seemed to polished for me. Will revisit it soon.

You should (and UBU too) check their pairing on a CD publish by EMOUVANCE who's name is... TRISTANO.

They play the tunes of TRISTANO, or those associate to him (317 EAST 32 ND, LINE UP, REQUIEM, LENNIE-BIRD, YOU DON'T NOW WHAT LOVE IS, WOW, DREAMS + one from LENNY POPKIN) and some originals by both in a straigth piano duo.

And it's really amazing.

P.L.M. indeed means Tristano on Emouvance.

I have this Oliva/Roulin "Tristano" disc on Sketch, but remember not liking it too much - seemed to polished for me. Will revisit it soon.

And it's really amazing.

Anyone knows of a place where Sketch discs are cheaper than on French Amazon?

I still ought to pick up the two Waldrons and some of the Humairs!

Some Sketch discs are avialable at indiejazz.com for $12.

I have this Oliva's Visions disc on Owl - it's a really good one -a pretty original reinterpretation of Bill Evans' music. Get it (it should be cheap at amazon.de).

Nope.

Yep.

JADE VISION is great.

F(PH)ANTASMES is disappointing.

Edited by P.L.M

Nope.

Yep.

JADE VISION is great.

F(PH)ANTASMES is disappointing.

Thanks, gentlemen, so on the list are:

- Tristano

- Sept Variations

- Jade Vision

How is "Inineraire Imaginaire", P.L.M.? Anyone?

Found some ratty stuff in the sales bins yesterday:

- Dunmall/Rogers/Norton: "Go Forth Duck" (CIMP)

- Roswell Rudd Trio: "The Unheard Herbie Nichols Vol.2" (CIMP)

- Archie Shepp/Horace Parlan: "Swing Low" (Plainisphare)

- Trovesi/Schiaffini/Maras: "Let" (Splasc(h))

Now the Shepp may not be very ratty, but... it's more or less an audience recording, done on a portable tape recorder with two microphones, when Shepp and Parlan played at the Hotel Bellerive in Zurich. Sound is of that close warm sort that good audience recordings have (obviously the microphones were closer to the musicians than you get, recording from the audience, but still...)

Shepp is in his big-toned mode, playing tenor mostly, inging on three cuts, and playing alto on two. Pretty nice!

The Trovesi/Schiaffini/Maras (it also features Walter Prati - live electronics & recording engineer) is probably pretty weak. I had no time to listen while in the shop, and once I came home I saw the Penguin's judgement, and I gave most of the disc a spin this morning, and I think I have to agree.

Haven't come around listening to the other two. I assume the Rudds are OOP? Or would there be an easy way to find Vol.1?

Haven't come around listening to the other two. I assume the Rudds are OOP? Or would there be an easy way to find Vol.1?

As far as I know CIMP keeps all titles in print. I used to have vol. 1 of the Rudd but I didn't like it much so got rid of it. If you want any CIMPs you can order them from Cadence (www.cadencebuilding.com).

As far as I know CIMP keeps all titles in print. I used to have vol. 1 of the Rudd but I didn't like it much so got rid of it. If you want any CIMPs you can order them from Cadence (www.cadencebuilding.com).

Thanks! My want for Vol.1 is simply based on what I read... I'll listen to Vol.2 first, now! I was aware that Cadence is the home of CIMP, but not that they keep it all in print!

Have you guys heard the recently issued Derek Bailey/Evan Parker concert released on Leo Records from a 1975 concert way before they parted? It's great.

Also, a nice semi-new Tatsuya Nakatani called Green Report 12. Some beautiful shit.

Braxton/Bauder - 2+2 Compositions

Baghdassarians.....

Aardvark Jazz Orchestra - Trumpet Madness (great disc)

I need to talk with you guys more often. You should all be listening to WRCT Pittsburgh on the web at www.wrct.org for this stuff on Saturdays 3-7PM EST and Wednesday nights 9-midnight EST.

Matt

A query:

I was listening to Mark Whitecage & Liquid Time (Acoustics) today and remembered hearing him on a radio show hosted by Ramsey Ameen & Spencer Richards on WBAI (NYC) perhaps 20 years ago. He played some recordings of "sound sculptures" that he had created. I can't recall exactly what those were - I may have a cassette tape of the show buried away somewhere. I do remember that the sounds they made were unique, interesting, and very listenable.

Anyway, my question is, does anyone know if any recordings of his sound sculptures were ever released commercially? I'm sure if they were, someone here will know.

If the cassette turns up, I'll listen to it and post here.

I'm not familiar with any of the artists in the most recent questions, so no help from me.

I listened to the first disc of the Document: New Music From Russia - the '80's set on Leo today. Stylistically much more diverse than I expected. One very long track by a group called Dearly Departed, which synthesizes large amounts of eastern folk music, and three tracks by Volkov Guyvoronsky, which bring things back closer to what I think of as the traditional Leo sound. Thumbs up, for the first disc at least.

Have you guys heard the recently issued Derek Bailey/Evan Parker concert released on Leo Records from a 1975 concert way before they parted? It's great.

I think you mean Psi not Leo? It's a reissue of an Incus LP with extra material. & yeah, it's one of the best reissues this year--great stuff. I haven't heard the other two duet albums they did but I'm told but those who have that this is the best of the three.

What do you think of the Braxton/Bauder? I liked it a lot but I know people who were less excited about it for some reason.

I think you mean Psi not Leo? It's a reissue of an Incus LP with extra material. & yeah, it's one of the best reissues this year--great stuff. I haven't heard the other two duet albums they did but I'm told but those who have that this is the best of the three.

What do you think of the Braxton/Bauder? I liked it a lot but I know people who were less excited about it for some reason.

I haven't listened too closely. I am not a big fan of Braxton. I don't think he is that ingenius....

Hey, Braxton's great--on the right day, with the right material, with the right players. Doesn't always happen, of course, given his prodigious & often virtually unedited output (I still can't fathom why 20 Standards (Quartet) 2003 was released as a 4-CD set rather than 2 CDs) but I think the disc with Bauder's definitely on the credit side of the ledger.

Also, a nice semi-new Tatsuya Nakatani called Green Report 12. Some beautiful shit.

Baghdassarians.....

Aardvark Jazz Orchestra - Trumpet Madness (great disc)

I need to talk with you guys more often. You should all be listening to WRCT Pittsburgh on the web at www.wrct.org for this stuff on Saturdays 3-7PM EST and Wednesday nights 9-midnight EST.

Matt

Haven't heard any of those yet. Curious about Bauder/Braxton. Bauder's previous disc on 482 Music Weary already on the way is a powerful and original work. I am not sure how Bauder's concepts would work with Braxton, though (and I am very cautious of any new Braxton's projects - IMO, the man is in a stalemate, and horrendous 23 Standards set (haven't heard 20 Standards) is a further proof of it).

DAVID S. WARE QUARTETS - LIVE IN THE WORLD (3 CD Set) on THIRSTY EAR. CHECK THIS OUT!!!!

And the new Vijay Iyer.

I am no a fan of David S. Ware. Very much so. To my ears what he plays is a fake jazz devoid of any creativity and forward motion, not too much different from what Wynton is doing.

New Vijay Iyer is outstanding, IMO. I-ve been listnein to it mesmerized for several weeks in a row now.

A query:

I was listening to Mark Whitecage & Liquid Time (Acoustics) today and remembered hearing him on a radio show hosted by Ramsey Ameen & Spencer Richards on WBAI (NYC) perhaps 20 years ago. He played some recordings of "sound sculptures" that he had created. I can't recall exactly what those were - I may have a cassette tape of the show buried away somewhere. I do remember that the sounds they made were unique, interesting, and very listenable.

Anyway, my question is, does anyone know if any recordings of his sound sculptures were ever released commercially? I'm sure if they were, someone here will know.

If the cassette turns up, I'll listen to it and post here.

Paul, I am not aware of the "sound sculptures" projects. You might want to contact Whitecage directly: Acoustics. If you hear anything back, please let us know - Whitecage is an outstanding musician, and his solo projects (I assume these "sculptures" are solo, correct?) should be very interesting. I can highly recommend recent duo of Whitecage and Dominic Duval, Rules of engagement on Drimala (and I am normall far from being a Duval fan).

I'm not familiar with any of the artists in the most recent questions, so no help from me.

I listened to the first disc of the Document: New Music From Russia - the '80's set on Leo today.  Stylistically much more diverse than I expected. One very long track by a group called Dearly Departed, which synthesizes large amounts of eastern folk music, and three tracks by Volkov Guyvoronsky, which bring things back closer to what I think of as the traditional Leo sound.  Thumbs up, for the first disc at least.

I was actually not too impressed by the Dearly Departed part of the disc - the material itself is good, and synthesis of folk and improvised music (not that many of the latter, though) sounded very interesting, but vocals are so mechanistic qnd bleqk (with this ugly reverb) I found it nearly unbearable to listen to.

Guyvoronsky/Volkov part is excellent.

Edited by Д.Д.

Listening to a very interesting disc: David Murray and Balogh Kalman Gipsy Cimbalom Band featuring Kovacs Ferenc (on Hungarian Fono label, 2004).

Murray is playing with a folk Hungarian Gypsy band (two violins, guitar, cimbalom, bass) plus a guest trumpeter (also more from folk music background, I figure). I am not a fan of Muray, to put it mildly, but here his overly-exuberant and voluble style fits relly well into all these odd-meter dance tunes. He solos quite a lot and is effective both on tenor and bass clarinet (also contributes two Hungarian-style compositions). Trumpeter is a virtuoso and also has enough solo space. Balogh plays some mesmerizingly beautiful cimbalom - both on breakneck-speed fast numbers and on a couple balads - amazing what rich sound it can produce. Very enjoyable music - highly recommended.