Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

512.jpg

Just a heads up for those interested: This rare title has been issued on CD and is available from Downtown Music Gallery and Forced Exposure at a cost of $17.

PETER BROTZMANN/SHOJI HANO - Funny Rat CD (IMJ 512) Free jazz drummer Shoji Hano and German saxophone giant Peter Brotzmann first met in  Japan in the early eighties.  In 1990 Hano went to Europe for the first time and played with Brotzmann; then he invited Brotzmann to Japan for a duo tour in fall '91.  This album is the complete recording of a concert they gave during that tour, at Aku Aku in Tsukuba. In '92 Hano released (on his label EGG) a cassette tape of that performance, with the same title, omitting one of the pieces played in the concert.  The omitted number is restored on this CD release (track four), making for a total of five pieces.  Since that tour Hano and Brotzmann have continued to play together frequently. This valuable recording captures the powerful collaboration of that early period.

ON THE EDIT: POSTING AN ACTIVE PICTURE OF THE COVER ARTWORK.

Edited by Chaney

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

Like your Mobley stuff? Yes, but perhaps just a bit more intense. :D

Looks like this set was part of Brötzmann’s late1991 tour of Japan with this one being recorded live on October 10, 1991.

Funny Rat is easy to recommend. It has the intensity and mood one usually associates with Brötzmann and Hano is very impressive – seemingly equipped with quite the percussive arsenal, so there are a wide variety of sounds at his disposal. (This is my first exposure to Hano so I can't compare his playing here to other sets.)

There’s even a bit of comedy when, part way into We All Like Mountain Rabbit, with the music getting more and more quiet and Hano finally playing alone and at just above a musical whisper, all motion stops. Both players laugh. Brötz says “Awww… C’mon! FUCK that leather jacket!” The audience laughs and Hano and Brötz growl at each other and laugh. They goof around for a few more seconds when Brötzmann finally suggests: “Maybe play something?” They then relaunch into the tune. (It’s funny hearing Brötzmann laugh.)

The sound is good and the packaging very nice. Probably the nicest use of the mini-LP format that I've yet seen, with nice, sturdy material used.

Also (hopefully still?) available is Dare Devil – on DIW – a live recording of the October 9, 1991 performance:

daredevil.jpg

Peter Brötzmann: tarogato, bass clarinet, tenor sax

Shoji Hano: drums, percussion

Tetsu Yamauchi: electric bass

Haruhiko Gotsu: guitar

I MUST find that one.

PS: Listening to Funny Rat again. This really is good stuff!

I will get "Funny Rat" in due course, but I just want to explore some other stuff - I already have quite a few Bötzmann's albums.

Today actually I was listening to Herr Brötzmann's "Nothung": Brötzmann-William Parker on you-know-what and an amazing drummer Michael Wertmüller.

B000066ALP.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Now this Wertmüller guy seems to have some experience in heavy metal bands and prodices an amazing in intensity barrage of sound (I think he evan has doubled bass drums as thrash metal drummers do), with a lot of clever nuances and subtlety at the same time. Unique guy. Parker on his background sounds too conservative and predictable (I am not a particularly big fan of Parker's playing in general, and still don't understand what all the fuss is about). Brötzmann is excellent - roaring mightyly as always, but also quite introspective and lyrical at some moments; sometimes funky. It is fascinating to see in what a diverse musician he evolved over the last 35 years. So, my conclusion - get it, get it, get it.

So, instead of Brötzmann's stuff, I decided I'll catch up with some of the Italian music. AS you know I was living for a year inn Italy, and spent all of my CD budget on local music - that's really a separate universe of improvised music that absorber everything that has been created elsewhere and enriched it with unique and endless Italian melodism, lyricism and humor.

Gentlemen! Hello! WELCOME GEOFF! :party:

Thanks for the Dare Devil info Д.Д. I actually ordered a copy from The Music Resource yesterday. Yes, it's listed as 'in stock' but with TMR, that means VERY little. I'll be patient...

I've had Barely Auditable bookmarked but haven't had a chance to have too much of a look. (I do own Braxton's Six Compositions (GTM) 2001.)

I also ordered and received five or six Limited Sedition titles -- including the New Millenium Orchestra 4 CD set -- but I haven't gotten around to listening to them yet. (My CD player was ill but is now well. I'm working my way through quite a large backlog of music.)

Any interest in THIS? :wub:

NOW THERE COME THIS MUDDAFUCKN RUSSIAN AND KNOWS WERTHMÜLLER WOULD HAVE BEEN THE PERFECT DRUMMER TO FIT ON OUR FAVORITE HANK MOBLEY RECORDS... HOLY SHIT!! ubu START SCREAMIN' HELL YEAH!

Welcome to the board! Great you made it over here, finally (well, you can't say I did not invite you earlier...)

ubu :)

This disc has been on my radar screen since it came out but I have been undecided on needing to pick it up. How is Daredevil? I have heard very mixed reviews of that one, but know where I can probably still pick up a reasonably priced copy locally. (strangely enough, in this area...)

oh, I think they have been brought to sibiria because they did *pervert* grrreazze! :g

See more on them here:

http://www.marinopliakas.com/steamboatswitzerland

"hammond avantcore trio" is quite a good denominator, I think.

They are based in the german part of switzerland, but I have no idea where exactly.

Upcoming live gig: Rote Fabrik, Zurich, December 7.

Check out the website (and those of the three bandmembers) for more.

ubu

Roi ubu, thanks for the link. Hammond avantcore trio sounds exactly like what I could be interested in.

I will probably have to fly out of Suisse on Monday 8th, so I could come on Sunday for a concert and then fly out of Zürich. In this case I will need a place (preferably of a beautiful girl) to crash in for a night - any ideas?

This disc has been on my radar screen since it came out but I have been undecided on needing to pick it up.  How is Daredevil?  I have heard very mixed reviews of that one, but know where I can probably still pick up a reasonably priced copy locally. (strangely enough, in this area...)

The "needing" to pick it up would be a difficult call. I don't own a ton of Brotzmann so I'm glad to have Funny Rat.

I'll let you know what I think of Dare Devil after it arrives and I have a few listens. (It's a slightly pricey import so if you can get it cheap now, you may want to jump.)

This disc has been on my radar screen since it came out but I have been undecided on needing to pick it up.  How is Daredevil?  I have heard very mixed reviews of that one, but know where I can probably still pick up a reasonably priced copy locally. (strangely enough, in this area...)

The "needing" to pick it up would be a difficult call. I don't own a ton of Brotzmann so I'm glad to have Funny Rat.

I'll let you know what I think of Dare Devil after it arrives and I have a few listens. (It's a slightly pricey import so if you can get it cheap now, you may want to jump.)

It is also pretty pricey at the local brick and mortar ($20ish) but they had it on sale for 40% off last time I looked.

If you don't already have it grab the new Brotz on Eremeite - Never Too Late But Always too Early w/ William Parker and Hamid Drake. That set smokes from start to finish.