Beatles Remasters coming! 09/09/09

Aggie87

Relative to their own work, compared to what came before and after, I think so, yeah.

And understandably so. They were tired. Who wouldn't be?

But still miles above most of what was available at the time. It's not a great album, but it's probably their most honest work. Honesty ain't always pretty.

The rock era of 1964-1970(?) was due mainly to the fact that the industry didn't have a clue what the kids were up to and didn't dare try to control for fear of mssing out on the next big thing.

I think that's so true (though I'd stretch the dates to 73-ish for creativity and '76 for its style). By the mid-70s there were enough 'suits' who had some sense of this music (Branson, Geffen etc) to start to control it.

Holy crap! I just checked out a certain bit-torrent site to see what was up, and both the Mono and Stereo boxes were put up there last weekend.

The stereo set has been downloaded over 12,000 times and the mono set over 6,000 times at that site alone. That's just nuts for being up less than a week.

And no, I did not/have not downloaded any of it... I'm waiting for my Mono box to ship.

Cheers,

Shane

Looked all over- can't find a box set anywhere. I want to get the Mono set- gotta find out where....

It's still available at Amazon for $230. Gonna take a couple of weeks for them to get it back in stock, but that's about the best price you're going to find.

After reading all the comments here, I succumbed and ordered the mono box from Amazon. I think delivery time is three weeks minimum. This will be on top of the seven stereo ones I purchased yesterday so it will be interesting to compare.

I did the same exact thing today on Amazon (ordered the mono set though I no intention of doing so originally). By the way, which 7 Stereo CDs did you purchase?

Edited by Norm

my beef is i dont really know how i feel about mono sound translating out to the digital format: i am just so used to associating mono with the RIAA curve, that i dont understand how i would like mono with the full spectrum of digital. dont get me started on hdcd, ive never heard one (but i want to)

Um, I'm not sure I'm following you. Mono and stereo both use the same RIAA curve. The "full spectrum of digital" should reproduce the stereo mixes and mono mixes as accurately (or better) than the original stereo or mono LPs. Honestly, though, the differences between the mono and stereo aren't that great except for the often duophonic or otherwise wonky separation.

Looked all over- can't find a box set anywhere. I want to get the Mono set- gotta find out where....

Why not go peruse the Hoffman classifieds? Lot of those folks covered their bases and put in multiple orders --seems like there's a box an hour being offered up for sale.

There's one member here who has two sets. . .maybe he'll step up and PM you?

Don't know who that member is but I'm definitely interested if he/she wants to contact me.

It's still available at Amazon for $230. Gonna take a couple of weeks for them to get it back in stock, but that's about the best price you're going to find.

After reading all the comments here, I succumbed and ordered the mono box from Amazon. I think delivery time is three weeks minimum. This will be on top of the seven stereo ones I purchased yesterday so it will be interesting to compare.

I did the same exact thing today on Amazon (ordered the mono set though I no intention of doing so originally). By the way, which 7 Stereo CDs did you purchase?

Norm,

I got Revolver, Rubber Soul, Magical Mystery Tour, Abbey Road, the White Album, Let it Be and Sergeant Peppers.

Listening to Magical Mystery Tour and found "Your Mother Should Know" ironic. Talking about dancing to a hit before your mother was born probably at that time in the 60s referred to big band jazz. However, now that we're all older (I'm in my late 50s), this could now refer to songs we used to listen to such as this song.

Yes Cliff they do. Also a DVD is included with all the mini doc's on it.

Thanks for that, I think I'll skip the stereo box then and just get a few of the later albums in the single disc format.

I went for the Mono box and even though it's very expensive it is worth it. Really well done overall. I sampled the first few of the early albums and was very impressed, as previously I had only really listened to "Rubber Soul" onwards. The early stuff is what it is, nice pop music and some covers but some of the singing is just great. Also the guitar solo on "A Hard Days Night" might just be the most perfect guitar solo.

In short, the hype about the mono box, and indeed mono Fab Four, is correct, well worth getting. IMHO.

so ok, guys, I can't afford the mono box - should I buy the individual stereo discs?

(I would probably buy 5 or 6 of these) -

Without having heard them, I would say this is the way to go. The monos are NOT being sold individually. The quicktime docs are only appearing on the stereo cd's for a limited time. They appear on the cd's in the stereo box, along with a DVD containing all of them so that you can watch on TV instead of your computer.

I think the ending of the this review sums it up nicely.

http://www.hemagazine.com/Burger_Bloviatio...tereo_remasters

"So, yeah, maybe I won’t go running for Please Please Me or With the Beatles at every opportunity, but I’m nonetheless happy that I sat down and really immersed myself in them, perhaps for the first time.

And really, in my opinion, that’s one of the greatest things about these new releases. People are clamoring to sit down and really listen to these albums in a way that no one really seems to sit down and experience music anymore. I find that terribly exciting."

Allen,

I think you and everybody else looking to just pick up a couple will be very happy with at least the individual stereo remasters of the White Album and Abbey Road.

so ok, guys, I can't afford the mono box - should I buy the individual stereo discs?

(I would probably buy 5 or 6 of these) -

imo, there's nothing at all wrong with the stereo discs. In many cases I prefer the wide stereo/duophonic image. It's a mix that's certainly of its time (like a wide-panned early RVG Blue Note, compared to his narrowed-in remastered CDs maybe), but it's no less enjoyable.

The stereo discs will be with us for years, so there should be no rush to acquire these. It's only if you need/must have the monos that you should move fairly quickly on the Mono Box.

The only stereo discs I might avoid, if you really dislike "duophonic" are the first two albums, easily the worst offenders.

I think the ending of the this review sums it up nicely.

http://www.hemagazine.com/Burger_Bloviatio...tereo_remasters

"So, yeah, maybe I won’t go running for Please Please Me or With the Beatles at every opportunity, but I’m nonetheless happy that I sat down and really immersed myself in them, perhaps for the first time.

And really, in my opinion, that’s one of the greatest things about these new releases. People are clamoring to sit down and really listen to these albums in a way that no one really seems to sit down and experience music anymore. I find that terribly exciting."

Allen,

I think you and everybody else looking to just pick up a couple will be very happy with at least the individual stereo remasters of the White Album and Abbey Road.

Haven't heard the White Album yet (planning on getting it when I pick up my paycheck this afternoon), but "Abbey Road" sounds AMAZING...

You fegghing bastards!!! With all this discussion, the notion of the mono box intrigued me; so using Borders online in-store reservation system, I found a copy at a strip mall store in Marlborough, Mass which was on sale for $229 and is being fedexed to me as I type this. Will pick up Abbey Road and the White Album in stereo @ J&R this weekend. Psyched to dig into this!

Picked up the White Album, Past Masters, and Help! at Best Buy this afternoon. I had a five dollar credit from being a Rewards Zone member (which basically means I spend way too much money in there) which I put towards the purchase. So with that and the fact that PM was only $12.99 (not that I'm complaining, but what's up with that? They have a little chart on the Beatles display that gives the sale price of each item. Both The White Album and PM are listed at $16.99. Did somebody screw up, I wonder?) I got all three for $41.01, including tax. Pretty sweet! That means that I have only seven more Beatles albums to get: Please Please Me, With the Beatles, A Hard Day's Night, Beatles for Sale, Magical Mystery Tour, Yellow Submarine, and Let It Be. My plan is to get the first four albums next, and follow that up with the last three on the list (which are, for various reasons, relatively low priority items. Yellow Submarine being the very lowest priority).

My daughter is getting all of my 1987 copies (she also has burns of all of the albums that I made for her from the Purple Chick remasters. All of them are in mono up until Yellow Submarine, which means she's pretty much ONLY heard the Beatles in mono). It was because of her that I got Help today, actually. My plan had been to only get the two double disc sets, but Help is her very favorite album (one of her favorite songs on the album, btw, is George's "You Like Me Too Much," which I think is a hoot because I never thought it was that good a song), so I picked up Help as well so she can get my old copy.

Everybody wins!

Here's a question that occurred to me last night. I wonder if anybody here knows the answer: I know that "Help" and "Rubber Soul" both received new stereo mixes in 1986 for the '87 CD release and that the original stereo mixes are to be found on the Mono box set. My question is: Which stereo mixes are to be found on the Purple Chick reissues? Are they the original stereo versions, or the new 1986 George Martin mixes? I A/Bed the new version of "Rubber Soul" with the Purple Chick stereo version and couldn't detect any serious differences. Anybody know?

CD Pacific has low stock of the Mono box; price: $216.61.

Thanks Hans!! I'll have to place an order- latert though- no time now.

Why not go peruse the Hoffman classifieds? Lot of those folks covered their bases and put in multiple orders --seems like there's a box an hour being offered up for sale.

There's one member here who has two sets. . .maybe he'll step up and PM you?

That will be nice- but I don't blame them if they go the ebay route to get more money.