Beatles Remasters coming! 09/09/09

Aggie87

Found a site called StartrekDVD order that sells the stereo set for 119 $ Anybody has done business with them ?

They are offering a few sweet deals on DVD sets. Among others the Whole up to date Simpsons DVD set (19 seasons) for 200 $

Have not checked around, but is this too good to be true, are they full legit ?

I wish they would remaster Borboletta. That's a beautiful album, really one of my favorites.

Indeed.

Off topic I know but any love for Caravanserai?

I picked it up yesterday, the guy at my local record store said "for most people the first three are the way to go but based on your tastes try Caravanserai".

Back to the Beatles. The Mono of Rubber Soul is perfection.

I wish they would remaster Borboletta. That's a beautiful album, really one of my favorites.

Indeed.

I picked it up yesterday, the guy at my local record store said "for most people the first three are the way to go but based on your tastes try Caravanserai".

Caravanserai stands head and shoulders above anything else in the Santana catalogue to these ears. Not following that line of development strikes me as one of the lost opportunities of early 70s rock.

Some of the guitar playing is just ecstatic - the varied atmospheres give a real sense of a journey across the disc. It also took the fullest advantage of the LP format, hitting two astounding peaks at the end of each respective side.

Commercially, it couldn't sustain the sales of Abraxas so retreat was almost inevitable.

Found a site called StartrekDVD order that sells the stereo set for 119 $ Anybody has done business with them ?

They are offering a few sweet deals on DVD sets. Among others the Whole up to date Simpsons DVD set (19 seasons) for 200 $

Have not checked around, but is this too good to be true, are they full legit ?

Unless I'm way off, only the first 12 seasons of the Simpsons series have been officially released (although season 20 will be released in January on Blu-Ray, I believe). So, anyone offering all 19 seasons of the Simpsons at this point must be offering bootleg content.

Cheers,

Shane

Indeed.

Caravanserai stands head and shoulders above anything else in the Santana catalogue to these ears. Not following that line of development strikes me as one of the lost opportunities of early 70s rock.

Some of the guitar playing is just ecstatic - the varied atmospheres give a real sense of a journey across the disc. It also took the fullest advantage of the LP format, hitting two astounding peaks at the end of each respective side.

Commercially, it couldn't sustain the sales of Abraxas so retreat was almost inevitable.

Wholeheartedly agree. And if you like that, if you ever happen to stumble across the 3-LP set LOTUS, grab it! Does a nice job of bringing the Caravanserai sound back to the old catalog and taking it all on the road.

Count me as another huge Caravanserai fan. Desert Island Disc for me. The release point in "Every Step of the Way" may be the most exciting moment in the history of recorded music. Caravanserai, while not up to the sales levels of Abraxas, nonetheless sold very well, was a top 10 album if I remember correctly. Lotus is in print as a budget release, will run you under $15 for the 2CD set, and is well worth it. I remember shelling out semi-major $ for it as an import 3 LP set in the 70's, as it was never released domestically until the CD era.

I have 'Lotus'...though it's a while since I played it.

I recall 'Caravanserai' getting ecstatic reviews in the UK music press when it was issued. Didn't seem to translate into sales. I didn't get to hear it for at least a year and I don't think I owned a copy until the late 70s. My purchasing power was severely limited until that time.

Spinning Caravanserai now, its awesome and I love it, thanks for all repleys, though it makes wish I was old enough to be enjoy this back in the early 70's, I doubt a record like this would get released at all on a major.

Back to the Beatles, on another forum for a best of the year list and re-issues I posted the Mono Box and the single Stereo remasters for Beatles For Sale, White Album and Abbey Road.

I have 'Lotus'...though it's a while since I played it.

I have Lotus too, and it was one of the first CDs that I bought back in the day (early '90s). It is also one of the few early discs I purchased that are still in the collection. There is an "earthy" quality to that music. I love playing it during rain storms in springtime. Perfect.

Back to the topic: I bought the Beatles mono box when it came out, and although the price was steep, I find myself overlooking that fact and simply feeling grateful that the set exists. I'm learning many of the albums for the first time, and it has been fun. It is the reissue of the year, IMO.

'Caravanserai', 'Love, Devotion and Surrender' and 'Welcome' all had a major impact on my listening (though they overlap with the first two Mahavishnu records in my mind). I have a feeling I first read about Coltrane in interviews associated with those records - and heard my first Coltrane tunes on the latter two (I was entranced with 'Naima').

'Caravaserai' was my first conscious experience of Afro-Cuban percussion (it was obviously used on other mainsteam rock records...Chicago for example...but this was where I first noticed it standing up front).

One slow burning influence was 'Stone Flower' - I loved the song and arrangement without having a clue where it came from. It wasn't until 20 years later that I picked up the Jobim original and the whole Brazilian thing started to open up for me.

Crossover ain't always a bad thing!

I'm 2/3rds of the way through the stereo Beatles. Enjoying it thoroughly - the sound quality is certainly superb.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

• 2 weeks later...

I'll still take Revolver. Taxman is one of my all-time favorites. Great lyrics. I've always thought that this album was the coming out party for George Harrison as a songwriter. Not to mention what a watershed "moment" it was in terms of how The Beatles would go about creating the rest of their music.

Santana. Wow. What can you say? One of my fondest musical memories was seeing him and Eric Clapton jam together at the end of a concert that featured both their bands. As close to a musical OD as one is likely to get.

My first exposure to Santana came in the Fall of 1967 when a college friend from Southern California brought their first album with him when he came back to school. It's still hard to describe my first reaction to Soul Sacrifice. All I can say is that I'd heard nothing like it, not even close. Sort of like the first time you heard Hendrix. Up to that point, my idea of rock music was pretty much encapsulated by the Beatles and Beach Boys. I can still remember showing up outside Music Millenium on East Burnside around 7:00 in the morning the day that Santana's second album was scheduled for release. The store didn't open until 10:00, but I wanted to be sure I was the first one on my block to have the new album.

What a ride. That guy has made more good music than any one person has a right to make.

Santana. Wow. What can you say? One of my fondest musical memories was seeing him and Eric Clapton jam together at the end of a concert that featured both their bands. As close to a musical OD as one is likely to get.

There's a splendid 20 odd minute track on the 2nd disc of the Eric Clapton 'Crossroads 2' box with Santana joining Clapton's band - a very exciting perfornce. Recorded in Providence, Rhode Island in 1975.

There's a splendid 20 odd minute track on the 2nd disc of the Eric Clapton 'Crossroads 2' box with Santana joining Clapton's band - a very exciting perfornce. Recorded in Providence, Rhode Island in 1975.

I remember a concert in Cincinnati in 1969 (I wasn't at it, was only 14-15 years old) where Santana was the opening act for Arlo Guthrie! Bet the Woody Guthrie-ite folkies never knew what hit them!

If I recall correctly, Jimi Hendrix opened for the Monkees at the Memorial Coliseum right here in Portland, Oregon. I did not see that concert. The worst pairing I have personally witnessed was Albert King opening for The Kinks. King literally blew the roof off the old Paramount Theater leaving nothing but scorched earth for the boys from Muswell Hill.