It's been nice

I have always enjoyed Chris' postings on music, and his knowledge of music history. This seems similar to when he left the Blindman's Blues Forum, and he never went back there again. I hope that Jim tells us what happened, if Jim wants to.

I just checked and Chris' last post on the Blindman's Blues Forum was on April 3, just 12 days ago.

I stand corrected. In fact, after a hiatus, he has been posting there for some time now. How did I miss it?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never understood the obsession some people have with announcing that they are leaving a Message Board, as if it's some sort of an end of an era. Just don't post anymore, its very simple.

They want to see how everybody feels about the exit. Maybe someone will beg them to stay.

Another day of drama on....

As The Organissimo Turns.

insert old school organ soap opera soundtrack here

I have never understood the obsession some people have with announcing that they are leaving a Message Board, as if it's some sort of an end of an era. Just don't post anymore, its very simple.

They want to see how everybody feels about the exit. Maybe someone will beg them to stay.

Another day of drama on....

Yes of course, and they can read the responses to their dramatic final post from the safety of anonymity, ie not logging in.

I'm really looking forward to the next episode of......

Who will Chuck Nessa bang next???

I think Brownie has handled this kind of thing best- take some time off, but retain your membership and post when you feel like it. I'm sorry Chris feels the need to use the "sever all ties" approach. I agree that removing posts interrupts flow of the threads- it kind of burns bridges (especially with Jim) and "punishes" all of us, even if it's directed at a few members. :(

I'm not hip to any of the controversy. It's not why I come here (unless we're debating the 'worth' of a particular recording or concert). If Chris is gone, that's a bummer, and I wish him contentment and happiness wherever he goes.

Peace.

I'm sorry to see Chris go. The depth and breadth of his knowledge would be a welcome addition to any music related board. But, it's his decision to depart, as it is anyone else's, so if he wants to leave, no one can stop him. Chris is doing this for reasons that are important to him, and that's all that really matters. Personally, I'll miss his contributions and his insights. I wish him all the best.

Up over and out.

I'm sorry to see Chris go. The depth and breadth of his knowledge would be a welcome addition to any music related board. But, it's his decision to depart, as it is anyone else's, so if he wants to leave, no one can stop him. Chris is doing this for reasons that are important to him, and that's all that really matters. Personally, I'll miss his contributions and his insights. I wish him all the best.

Up over and out.

what he said. :tup

In what seems to be a case of little brother playing big brother, they had started to remove some of my threads, so I decided—as a departing gesture—to help them along and simply remove all that I could. BTW, that deactivation of edit some of you complained about is, I'm afraid something little brother did for my benefit :)

Don't want to dwell on this, I am permanently out of here and I want y'all to know that I shall miss most of you, but I feel uncomfortable here. I am disappointed in people I once supported, but I don't leave in anger, because the Big O has given me much pleasure, and that will stay with me. It has also taken up too much of my time, but that's my own fault. Thanks to those of you who sent me messages, they are really appreciated. Hope to keep in touch with some of you off the board.

Chris

BTW, Jim, you might as well have little brother go all the way and remove me from the membership list—I shan't be needing that anymore.

Wha????

I had no idea you were unhappy Chris. Hope you change your mind.

Yes, that's why we decided to put a time limit on how long after a post is made one can edit/delete it... because we had an inkling that Chris would do this (ie, start deleting his own posts). But instead, I've restored everyone's ability to edit/delete their own posts and assigned Chris his own category of membership that doesn't allow him to edit or delete any posts at all.

Heh do I know how to call it or what? Jim wants to always give the benefit of the doubt with people, and he's mostly right to do so, but I've been on my share of forums, most have zero tolerance for the 'I'M LEAVING' thing, because this happens all too often. People get mad, and their first reaction is to take all that they've contributed from the board, despite the giant mess it causes.

And to try and blame us for removing his posts? Most people know by now that if you so much as sneeze on these kinds of forums the software logs it. Pegging us for some Nazi moderation is really low. That's a personal attack if ever I've seen one.

"Yes, and you would think that this would be obvious, however some people treat this place like their own personal blogs."

tell us who, Cliff.

Please don't start up your squabble with each other again. I thought at least one of you agreed to ignore the other.

I haven't been posting here much, mostly because there seems to be so much "drama" going on all the time and I've got more than my fair share to deal with in my own life. I had the Political forum hidden from me because it was making my mental state worse. It's sad to see squabbles erupting in almost every thread.

Give peace a chance.

I haven't been posting here much, mostly because there seems to be so much "drama" going on all the time and I've got more than my fair share to deal with in my own life. I had the Political forum hidden from me because it was making my mental state worse. It's sad to see squabbles erupting in almost every thread.

Give peace a chance.

Exactly my behavior and sentiments.

I've always enjoyed Chris' posts and recollections about music both here and elsewhere. I don't pay much attention to the political forum.

A pity to see him go. There are a number of people who talk a lot of common sense about music - Chris, MG, Jim R, Kenny Weir, Seeline spring to mind - who have either vanished or make rare appearances. That's a pity.

Give peace a chance.

Exactly my behavior and sentiments.

It is getting really boring -- the spats and the sticking up for the boorish behavior of others. I recall the last major split was maybe a year ago over the US style "free speech" vs. European consensus approach. The Board bounced back. I'm not as sure now, since the disagreement do seem more personal and pointed. Or maybe the direction the board is going in seems a lot less interesting to me. Is it just there is so little activity on the new music and reissue front, that all we can do is moan about 50 year public use doctrine and the death of the majors and whether they are related. It could also be personal, in that I feel a lot more urgency to finish up some of my own projects and am disengaging more to get more time for that. But it certainly doesn't feel like the O Board I joined several years ago. That said, I think it wiser to follow Brownie's lead and not add even more drama to the mix.

I too asked that I should be blocked from the Politics thread within the past few weeks. The board is more interesting to me since then, and more pleasant. I was getting too wound up by the political discussions--I am not cut out for them.

I have a theory about all this. I think that for some members, there was a bond of being against the Bush Administration and its policies, and a fervent hope that the Democrat would be elected President in 2008. So there was a many year common language and attitude about the political discussions, with Berigan and Son of a Weizen as the mostly loveable foils. Now that is gone. Bush is out, the Democrat is in, Utopia has not exactly sprouted up full blown immediately, and the political discussions have become diffuse and discordant. Instead of the common punching bag, Bush, we sometimes turn on each other.

Just a theory.

I also wonder if this is a period in jazz in which there is less to talk about. I contacted an old internet friend on another jazz board by email, and he commented that "once in a great while we even have a jazz discussion over here." He was only partly kidding.

But I hope that we can continue to be civil and have interesting discussions here. It is a wonderful board.