It's been nice

This Charlie Parker guy is great! :excited: :excited:

OK ... I agree with Bev in lamenting the relative scarcity of comments about music from some of the more knowledgeable folks around here. I'd love to (close your eyes Cliff) hear more about Allen's blues project; read more details about what's going on with Chuck's various projects; read about what really turns people on (or off) about music; get ideas and suggestions from seeline, MG, and everybody here, cause you're all basically a lot further down the track that I am. I learn something every day here. True fact.

I'm as guilty as anyone of getting sucked into those political forums, but it's not something I take seriously by any stretch. I really enjoyed Chris' contributions, but I'm frankly surprised anyone would feel the need to leave a music discussion forum over disagreements about politics or religion. Should have, and could have, been settled in some other way. The baby (little brother?) is flying out the window along with the bathwater on this one. Truth be told, I wouldn't miss a beat if the politics and religion areas were eliminated altogether. -- (might actually pick up a few beats) ;)

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Truth be told, I wouldn't miss a beat if the politics and religion areas were eliminated altogether. -- (might actually pick up a few beats) ;)

I wouldn't mind P/R threads going away either.

That's been discussed/argued before, and I think the reasoning at the time was that those types of discussions would invariably start happening everywhere else, so the goal was to contain them in one optional-view forum.

While I used to argue with Brad, taking a "pro-political forum" stance, I have to agree, I wouldn't be upset if they went away. And those who insist on bringing politics into other areas can always be stopped if they can't follow the rules. On the other hand, I enjoy the political forum and can't understand those who can't seperate it from the rest of their threads in their minds, and more particularly, in their posts.

Still, I've never been much on reevaluationg things just because someone wants to take their ball and go home...

While I used to argue with Brad, taking a "pro-political forum" stance, I have to agree, I wouldn't be upset if they went away. And those who insist on bringing politics into other areas can always be stopped if they can't follow the rules. On the other hand, I enjoy the political forum and can't understand those who can't seperate it from the rest of their threads in their minds, and more particularly, in their posts.

Same here. I honestly don't understand why it is that grown men feel compelled to ask an Administrator to block them from that forum. When you've had yer fill, ya bolt for awhile....simple as that. I've hardly stepped foot inside the place for a couple of months now because it was becoming tiresome. That's the beauty of online forums....you talk to who you want, when you want. Btw, what got Chris all yanked off in the first place anyway? Sheesh....Chris leaving??!! That's almost as earth shattering an event as that magical day in 2001 when he and Dan were actually in agreement on something. :lol:

(warning: archived political thread from BNBB........don't peek if you're blocked from the forum!!!)

http://web.archive.org/web/20011214121516/...=8&t=002273

all I will say is that there is a reason that people who are either well-known and/or who have active public profiles tend to stay away from bulletin boards like this. I have seen it more than once, in other places; they become targets for certain kinds of petty attacks. Now, that does not happen much here, but it does happen. And it is not a good thing.

and Weizen, don't hate me because I'm beautiful -

Edited by AllenLowe

I had the political forum blocked for myself because it's annoying. It's not that I can't handle its substance, its that I can't handle its lack thereof. It fills up the list of new posts with crap. If I want to discuss politics, I'll do so elsewhere. I'm here to discuss music. I have found the option to block politics here helpful to gaining what I always wanted out of this place.

To me, Chris is just fine, as long as we don't talk politics. But, sadly that's where we did much of our "talking"

What I cannot understand is Chris saying Jim and his brother were deleting his threads when they weren't! Why say that???? What's the point????

all I will say is that there is a reason that people who are either well-known and/or who have active public profiles tend to stay away from bulletin boards like this. I have seen it more than once, in other places; they become targets for certain kinds of petty attacks. Now, that does not happen much here, but it does happen. And it is not a good thing.

and Weizen, don't hate me because I'm beautiful -

Thanks Allen, I really have never had such a softball handed to me! Really, never!!! :wub:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...;hl=scott+yanow

Not all of those well-known people and/or people with active public profiles are victims only; some of them have launched petty and personal attacks on others as well, which sometimes resulted in nasty exchanges, bad feelings and a negative atmosphere.

Edited by J.A.W.

I don't get it. :(

I wish Christiern would just ignore the political forums. I agree with others that politics tend to bring out the worst in us (definitely true for me).

His contributions to the music discussions will be missed.

Same here. I honestly don't understand why it is that grown men feel compelled to ask an Administrator to block them from that forum.

Simple. I didn't want to see the posts from the Political forum when I used the "View New Posts" link at the top of the page. It began to feel like the ONLY discussion on this board was in that area and I just got sick of looking at it. What that has to with me being a "grown man" I have no idea.

I recall the last major split was maybe a year ago over the US style "free speech" vs. European consensus approach.

The problems in 2007, which came to a head in the last couple of months of that year, arose from personal attacks and indeed the different American and European interpretations of freedom of speech. They drove members like couw, deus62/neveronfriday and a few others away. I was also very upset and left the board for a while.

Edited by J.A.W.

I've always enjoyed Chris' posts and recollections about music both here and elsewhere. I don't pay much attention to the political forum.

A pity to see him go. There are a number of people who talk a lot of common sense about music - Chris, MG, Jim R, Kenny Weir, Seeline spring to mind - who have either vanished or make rare appearances. That's a pity.

Oi Bev, here's me thinking I've been more active here in the past couple of weeks than I have for a year or more!

Must ... pedal ... harder.

MUST ... lift ... O post quotient.

:P

Tha's all right - I'm going to put on my new Starry Eyed And Laughing double CD, rank up the volume, do the housework, turn in a few job applications - all that even before lunch!

Edited by kenny weir

I don't mean to start a political battle again but I missed it the first time since I have been blind to the Politics Forum for a long time. What exactly is the difference between American free speech and European? Without sparking a fight of course. ;)

Wow, I've lost count. How many times has Chris left with a big burst of drama? This is at least the third, maybe fourth?

This is what I find odd, this a 77 year old man we are talking about here not some teenager, surely the guy has some cop on at this stage. Deleting posts/threads before you make a big deal about leaving and trying to make people believe it was someone else doing it???

What some people don't seem to realise or choose to forget is that there was Organissimo the Band before there was Organissimo the Board. I'm sure that the site is handy for the guys for promoting their music and the other projects they are involved with but they, Jim especially, doesn't really need to do this Forum. I'm sure as he has a young family, this is one hassle he could gladly do without. I would think it is childish little things like this that will put an end to the Board, rather than big things like financing it. The money can always be found when you want to keep it alive but why put in the effort when someone who is old enough and supposed to know better behaves this way.

Why would anyone have an interest in discussing Politics on this Board, why? Is it because it's easier to do here than on an actual Political Fourm?

Surely the clue as to what should be discussed is in the title, " organissimo jazz forums - The best jazz discussion forum on the web!"

Edited by Cliff Englewood

I don't mean to start a political battle again but I missed it the first time since I have been blind to the Politics Forum for a long time. What exactly is the difference between American free speech and European? Without sparking a fight of course. ;)

Very briefly: in many European countries free speech is regarded as being relative, i.e. not as absolute as in the United States; you can freely attack someone's beliefs/convictions (political views, religion, etc.) but you can't attack a person because of what they are (gender, race, sexual preference and things like that). In some cases insults and verbal abuse aren't allowed either, though this varies depending on the social climate. There's a saying here that one's freedom ends where it violates another person's freedom.

Edited by J.A.W.

"some of them have launched petty and personal attacks on others as well, which sometimes resulted in nasty exchanges, bad feelings and a negative atmosphere."

I certainly hope, JAW, that, assuming I know what you are referring to, you know the full history and the prior posts - because what you've said above is, otherwise, shockingly uninformed -

and somewhat strange, since you want certain feuds to end, yet keep referring to them, endlessly provoking responses -

unless, of course, you are referring to something entirely different - in which case you need to do more than hint in ways which do nothing but imply -

Edited by AllenLowe