Name a favorite Max Roach recording

paul secor

Max made so many recordings over the years that it's probably impossible to pick one particular record as the best, but I thought it might be interesting for people to pick a record that stands out for them - whether Max is the leader or a sideman.

I'll start off with Introducing Johnny Griffin. Johnny Griffin is on fire on this wonderful date, and Max is there with him all the way. This was recorded when Max Roach was still co-leading the Brown/Roach Quintet, and he was at his best. I've always assumed that the yeahs and shouts/moans that come from the background when Griff is soloing are from Max.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brown / Roach at Basin Street.

Not "live", of course, but a great album.

"Members, Don't Get Weary", burning with Tolliver, Bartz, Cowell and Merritt in 1968. Contains the finest recording of Cowell's gorgeous "Effi".

"Members" is my fave, but he is a highlight for me on several recordings. Freedom Suite, Money Jungle, etc

Jeez, you've hit on one of my heroes. I love all the recordings mentioned above, but how 'bout The Long March with Archie Shepp? "South Africa Goddam" gets to me every time I hear it. And is the Historic Concerts album with Cecil Taylor the best recorded performance of a drummer with CT? I think maybe so, although I can understand disagreement on that. And I've always loved Max's solo on "Lepa" (an early Richard Abrams tune, by the way) on The Many Sides of Max Roach - the bass keeps walking, while Max solos over the top, playing logical phrases and leaving plenty of space. Why don't more drummers do that? I would hate to have to choose just one of Max's albums as leader to take to a dessert island, but if I did, I think I'd have to go with Drums Unlimited from 1966. It's got Freddie Hubbard and James Spaulding at their best, some superb solo drum pieces, and the best-ever version of Jymie Merritt's 6/4 anthem "Nommo."

What a giant.

Edited by jeffcrom