Matt Groening

Johnny E

Very cool!

Matt's a nice guy. I used to see him occassionally at Golden Apple, shopping for comics. What made you guys send him a disc?

I sent CD to a few people that I admire, just for the hell of it. I know that Matt was a close personal friend of Frank Zappa's and is a huge Captain Beefheart fan, so I thought, not only is he super cool, but he might actually like the record.

It could happen if he finds a way to fit the band in a story...but there has to be something..."unique" I would think.

The band that I managed for a few years ended up in an episode of the Simpsons - both musically and as caricatures of the whole band.

Groening is also one of Mosaic's best customers, I read somewhere.

Bertrand.

I don't know how serious an art collector he is, but he has at least a few pieces. I know because I bought a small piece from an artist at Art Chicago, and the gallery later told me that Groening owned a piece by the same artist. So two degrees of separation right there.

By the way, that is way cool that he liked your CD -- and wrote to tell you. You guys coming through Chicago anytime soon?

Edited by ejp626

Groening is also one of Mosaic's best customers, I read somewhere.

Bertrand.

Yeah - I remember reading that too.

Didn't he also feature the 'Jackie McLean Pizza Company' on one episode of the Simpsons, or is that an urban myth?

Edited by sidewinder

Didn't he also feature the 'Jackie McLean Pizza Company' on one episode of the Simpsons, or is that an urban myth?

Not an urban myth... it's real. It's in one of the "deleted/outtake" scenes in "The Simpsons 138th Episode Spectacular" episode.

I know one of the writers on the show... I'll see if I can convince him to get the Reptet in there somehow!

Cheers,

Shane

Man, that is rad! What a great guy to take the time to write that note. Also cool that the CD ultimately made its way to him--I suspect folks like Groening get all kinds of unsolicited shit, much of which ends up in the roundfile. Of course, with that CD--which I'm proud to say I bought straight from the source--what's not to like? :)