*** Cecil Taylor ***

Aggie87

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

Cecil Taylor - piano; Bill Barron - tenor sax; Jimmy Lyons - alto sax; Henry Grimes - bass; Andrew Cyrille - drums

This is a most worthy set.

Forgive me my ignorance on Bill Barron but I’ve always thought he was more an inside than ‘outside’ player. Very curious to hear him play with Taylor so added it to my Spotify list. Also time to dive into Bill Barrons discography.

Edited by Pim

3 hours ago, Pim said:

Forgive me my ignorance on Bill Barron but I’ve always thought he was more an inside than ‘outside’ player. Very curious to hear him play with Taylor so added it to my Spotify list. Also time to dive into Bill Barrons discography.

He also played on CT's Love For Sale album. Barron has been quoted saying that they practiced the music for over a year just to record that one LP side. 

4 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Yeah, that is super -- got it from the WV website years ago. No idea who would have the rights. Would be great to see a little CD set of other New Thing at Newport recordings -- Cecil, Bill Dixon, Paul Bley, Joe Daley...

Definitely. Maybe someone could find a pristine soundboard recording of Trane in '66 while they're at it. 

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, colinmce said:

Curious new release from what looks like another new outpost of WXU's enterprise. I wonder if he plans to press these on CD or if this would be a digital-only thing. Some very intriguing potential here.

https://first-archive-visit.bandcamp.com/album/cecil-taylor-unit-live-at-fat-tuesdays-february-9-1980-first-visit

Agreed, that was quite a group, but $16 for a 66-minute download?  Pass.

4 minutes ago, colinmce said:

I reached out to Werner and he confirmed that a CD is forthcoming next month, and there will be additional releases in the future. 

Wish I'd had that info ten minutes ago! Oh well...

Edited by djcavanagh