Organissimo Origins?

Dave James

Those of us who have been around music for awhile realize that for every new band, there's a point of reference, a touchstone without which a group might never have existed. We all know about The Beatles and skiffle and that R&B and eventually rock came out of bands like that of Jimmy Lunceford, but where do organ trios come from? I've often wondered about that. Until today. Finally, I have stumbled across what had to have been the inspiration for Organissimo and, in particular, for Jim.

Joe, don't fret. If you have the nerve to stay with this until around the 3:00 minute mark, you'll be amply rewarded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9kHqyu-xsE

One thing for sure. It's a good thing these guys aren't around anymore, or it would be even harder to find gigs.

Up over and out.

Those of us who have been around music for awhile realize that for every new band, there's a point of reference, a touchstone without which a group might never have existed. We all know about The Beatles and skiffle and that R&B and eventually rock came out of bands like that of Jimmy Lunceford, but where do organ trios come from? I've often wondered about that. Until today. Finally, I have stumbled across what had to have been the inspiration for Organissimo and, in particular, for Jim.

Joe, don't fret. If you have the nerve to stay with this until around the 3:00 minute mark, you'll be amply rewarded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9kHqyu-xsE

One thing for sure. It's a good thing these guys aren't around anymore, or it would be even harder to find gigs.

Up over and out.

....that's cool stuff. Was a Gibson fan since the first time I saw him pitch in the mid sixties.....anyone read his book "From Ghetto to Glory"????

m

We played the Mitch Albom show on WJR in Detroit a few days after Denny got out of jail and he was on the show via phone. The host (who was filling in for Albom (who was following the Pistons in the play-offs)) mentioned that the keyboardist in the studio had a real B3 and Leslie in the studio. Denny said, "Really!? Wow. God bless him!"