Inner City Pressings

dsockel

Is there any way to tell which were the first pressings on the Inner City label? I realize that they were primarily a re-issue label in the US for European labels.

I have seen blue labels with buildings in the background, brown labels with a buildings in the background, solid blue with IC and other solid colors with IC.

Thanks.

Dave

I never saw a label with buildings in the background. IIRC, the different colored labels denoted the original source of the music. Purple was Steeplechase. A greenish-brown was Enja (I'm color blind, so not the best judge of colors), and green was East Wind.

• 4 weeks later...

A lot of Inner City pressings were mediocre at best.

If by "pressings" you mean technically, I won't dispute that (although I never had a problem). But if you're referring to the quality of the music, I would disagree. There were a lot of really fine performances either made available through licensing or original pressings. Some really nice albums by the likes of Nat Adderley, Dexter, Great Jazz Trio and many others.

A lot of Inner City pressings were mediocre at best.

If by "pressings" you mean technically, I won't dispute that (although I never had a problem). But if you're referring to the quality of the music, I would disagree. There were a lot of really fine performances either made available through licensing or original pressings. Some really nice albums by the likes of Nat Adderley, Dexter, Great Jazz Trio and many others.

I was referring to pressings, not music. Tho, in some cases, the pressings interfered with my enjoyment of the music.

Back to labels, I had a Vogue Legacy issue on Inner City. If my memory is correct it had a silver label.

Yes, they released some of the Jazz In Paris stuff as a distinct series. I remember the Clifford Brown.

Overall, Inner City did have an ambitious release schedule for a small label with limited resources and no major backing.