The Nessa Juggernaut rolls on

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reissues of my other two Hal Russell projects are in the works. There are possibly 3 or 4 new projects but I am really wary of investing the time and money right now. Trying to figure out what makes sense in the current environment isn't easy.

Thanks for asking.

Just wondering, would it make sense for you as a producer to use a Kiskstarter type model for these potential new projects?

• 5 months later...

Just a note to say I am going into the studio for a 3rd session remixing my Ira Sullivan sessions.

Contents:

1 The Girl From Ipanema 7:58

2 Monday’s Dance 6:10

3 Circumstantial 9:48

4 Stranger In Paradise 8:31

5 Angel Eyes 8:14

6 That’s Earl, Brother 7:34

7 Blues For Johnny Bratton (previously unissued) 9:37

Ira Sullivan – trumpet, flugelhorn, soprano saxophone & flute

Simon Salz – guitar

Jodie Christian – piano & electric piano (2 & 7)

Dan Shapera – bass

Wilbur Campbell – drums

Recorded October 11 & 20, 1977

Streeterville Studios, Chicago

Engineer: Mark Rubenstein

Transfers & mixing: Glenn Brown

with an assist from Jim Alfredson

Edited by Chuck Nessa

Just a note to say I am going into the studio for a 3rd session remixing my Ira Sullivan sessions.

Contents:

1 The Girl From Ipanema 7:58

2 Monday’s Dance 6:10

3 Circumstantial 9:48

4 Stranger In Paradise 8:31

5 Angel Eyes 8:14

6 That’s Earl, Brother 7:34

7 Blues For Johnny Bratton (previously unissued) 9:37

Ira Sullivan – trumpet, flugelhorn, soprano saxophone & flute

Simon Salz – guitar

Jodie Christian – piano & electric piano (2 & 7)

Dan Shapera – bass

Wilbur Campbell – drums

Recorded October 11 & 20, 1977

Streeterville Studios, Chicago

Engineer: Mark Rubenstein

Transfers & mixing: Glenn Brown

with an assist from Jim Alfredson

:tup:tup:tup

Chuck, do you have a date in mind when this might be available?

Listening to the fruits of our 3rd mixing session for the Ira Sullivan project. In addition to the artistry of Ira, I was struck by the work of Jodie Christian. Jodie's playing reminded me of an incident in the early '80s with Andrew Hill. Andrew was in town to visit his ailing mother and called me. He said he needed a break and wanted to go hear some music and asked me to be his guide. I asked what/who he wanted to hear and he said Von Freeman and Jodie Christian. First we went to the Enterprise Lounge to hear Von but he was in Europe and had sent E Parker McDougal as a sub. We stayed for one set and some chat with good vibes all around. Then we returned to my car for a trip to Roberts Show Lounge and the Jodie Christian Trio. Afterwards we all gathered at the bar for Andrew and Jodie to catch up and trade war stories. I was one lucky fellow to witness this stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry if this seems too personal but today I have been listening to the recent digital transfers of my Hal Russell Generation reissue. If you don't know, Charles Tyler was a guest on most of the material recorded. Charles played clarinet, alto and baritone. While listening to the Mars Williams composition Sponge I broke out laughing at one point. Nearing the end of my "archives" I am delighted to get pleasure from my work.

I did resist from posting this in "what are you listening to".

Very cool, Chuck - any new Russell is good news ... the world's got every burp and fart of Slime Ivdsa in fake stereo, now it needs more Hal Russell!

Will definitely want the Ira Sullivan, too - besides "Blue Stroll" I know him together with Red Rodney (the early stuff on Fantasy and Savoy/Signal, two Elektra LPs, and the 32 Jazz compilation from teh Village Vanguard) and on some intriguing sidemen albums with Lin Halliday, Eddie Harris, Roland Kirk, the aborted Blakey date, the classic J.R. Monterose Blue Note album. Intriguing musician, for sure!

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, there are three identical ones (or are they identical?) and I clicked on one without

"We had a few fine musicians in the room - Roscoe Mitchell, Anthony Braxton, Henry Threadgill, Malachi Favors, Douglas Ewart, Don Moye, Joseph Jarman, Thurman Barker and guests Charles Tyler, the Colsons (Iqua and Steve), the Abrams (Muhal and Pegi) and Lester Bowie. Ann's photo diary could form a book."

Is that young you in the cream trousers and grey/blue shirt?

What album was that for?

MG