The Demise of KCSM

stevebop

Guys, I have to weigh in here there's a lot of flotsom drifting around on this blog...

Fact: KCSM is the ONLY 24/7 jazz station on terrestrial radio in the US. You may hear jazz on Kuvo, Kjzz, wbgo, and others but they also do traffic reports, npr news breaks, other music and arts programming--

Fact: Aside from Parlocha's show, which we gather from the satellite and run after hours, there are real live hot bodies pulling music and putting a show together for you for a particular day-part (that means that morning and afternoon commute, jazz oasis, blues, latin jazz, etc. are scheduled with particular ears in mind--spanning the whole of jazz)

And, with regard to the press were getting about dissolving--not gonna happen.

PLEASE TAKE ALL OF THIS AS LIGHT-HEARTED. That's how it's intended, though the language doesn't always convey.

I won't debate Facts, but I'll add a bit of clarification on my perspective. True, KUVO, KKJZ, WBGO and others do have some non-jazz programming. KCSM has a blues program. Sure, its a close kin... I can't say KKJZ's non-jazz material bothers me much, though KUVO's constant station promos...ouch. KEWU isn't 24 hours, nor is KNTU, WDNA, KPLU, KBCS, WIFU, but I'm glad to have them too.

The "Aside from Parlocha's show" implies that this is the only syndicated/purchased programming. But, when last I checked, KCSM was also airing Jazz From Lincoln Center, Jazz Set, Piano Jazz, Jazz Profiles, and Big Band Jump. (What's up with the MC's voice on this last program?)

My comments about your presentation and selection of music, Ms. Clancy, were NOT intended to be personal, except, I suppose, personal to me and my tastes. Frankly, I don't find vocals - jazz or otherwise - appealing. That doesn't mean that they should "go away", but sometimes I need to.

Ms. Clancy has been on the air for a good, long while (especially for a 29-year old ;) - take that as a comment about her enthusiasm). And, if I recall correctly (questionable), she was a College of San Mateo instructor for one of my old jazz history classes. I wish her and KCSM well. And I say sincerely: check her out.

please call me alisa

I have to add something here.

When I first stumbled onto KCSM on the web of course (I am on the east coast ) I was really intrigued. Here was a station which

was completely dedicated to Jazz. I just could not believe it. Well KCSM became my all time favorite. Of course I have my personnal tastes in music.

But each time I listened, I found something to my liking.

I think we all love this great art form, so let's not fight over semantics. LET'S KEEP IT ALIVE

Denis

I'm with BeBop. Alisa Clancy seems like a very nice person, and dedicated, but she has an almost obnoxious on-air personality. I think she tries too hard, tries to sound too hip, too funny, and when she does interviews, she's almost always too alpha, too presumptuous, too often trying to put words in people's mouths. Bottom line, though, (and this goes for Melanie Berzon as well) she has pretty weak taste and an odd sense of what belongs on a jazz show.

I hope KCSM survives. It seems as if all our outlets for this creative music we love is under siege. I recall years ago when KPBS in San Diego had a great jazz Saturday night program by a guy named Ron Gallen (sp?). He had the voice, knowledge and excellent taste for serious non-commercial music. They dumped the program in favor of a country western format! It was mind numbing!

KSDS (88.3 FM San Diego) is a 24/7 jazz radio station that has it's problems. Most of the DJ's are marginal but there are a few who are very good. They have a number of DJ's who have their own music formats and have been allowed (something I disagree with) to play music that ranges from the insipid jacuzzi and white wine jazz to rock to Sting. But one guy who instantly comes to mind (the shinning star of the station!) is Leo Cates. When I'm in my car, I can listen to two tunes and without hearing a voice, I know it's Leo! The man is outstanding!! Miff Mole has a fine Thursday night program that is capped off with his Free Time show for an hour (hard core music -Sun Ra, Albert Ayler, Henry Threadgill, Oliver Lake, Vjay Iyler, Ornette Coleman, et al). A good friend of mine named Mike Kaye (this man has a collection if music that I cannot describe -it has to be seen to be believed and I do mean he...has..every...thing!!!!!) has greatly improved his selections of music (we had a serious discussion about this numerous times) and he has a Monday and Tuesday night show. Late Saturday and Sunday night, bro "T" takes over with a very serious blues programming format. He plays straight ahead serious blues from pre-WWII to the development of Chicago style electric blues. Excellent show for those who are serious about their blues music. No simple minded commercial blues favored noodling is allowed! KSDS is steamed on the internet so you can give it a listen and decide for yourself.

But I must say something and I know I'm going to cross the sacred lines of political correctness. There are two female DJ's at KSDS. I can't stand either one of them!!! One has the most irritating childish voice while the other sounds extremely contrived. The latter sounds as if she is attempting to use sex to seduce you for your money or attention. It's pathetic! I wish she would talk in a normal voice instead of this phony annoying mannerism. And neither are what I would consider reasonably knowledgeable about the music other than the commercial bullshit they play.

Guest Bill Barton

I can't say that I've heard a lot of KCSM's programming but am struck by how much of the discussion in this thread relates to the on-air personalities rather than the content of the programming. In this day and age, just be grateful that they are personalities. The consultant-driven sameness of much contemporary radio - both non-commercial public stations and commercial stations - seems to be the norm.

Welcome to the Big O, Alisa, and best wishes for keeping KCSM alive and thriving.

Not all stations are fortunate to get on-air hosts who are so passionate about the music that they collect it extensively and did so for years prior to coming on board. I think you'll find that's an exception everywhere, rather than the rule.

You can tell the difference especially when you listen to a show producer conduct an interview with an artist.

I can't say that I've heard a lot of KCSM's programming but am struck by how much of the discussion in this thread relates to the on-air personalities rather than the content of the programming. In this day and age, just be grateful that they are personalities.

Bill, I understand your point in spirit, but in reality, I'm not sure you have any business questioning the validity of the comments made by those of us who have been listening to the station for many years. Personalities are part of the deal, part of the presentation, part of the experience. Just as with movie actors, or sports broadcasters, or food network chefs, people are sometimes going to have negative opinions about or reactions to people in the broadcasting industry. It's a subjective thing, and it doesn't necessarily have to come from a mean-spirited place.

A few things I want to add...

Alisa, not only do you seem (as I said previously) like a very nice and dedicated person, you certainly have class. Welcome to the board.

The "Don't dis me if you don't know me" comment seems a little misguided to me (speaking for myself, I'm not sure that "knowing you" would change anything in terms of how I experience your programs). With the "too alpha" comment, I simply meant that for me, you come on a bit too strong much of the time. That seems to me to be your personality (hell, you have to be somewhat of an alpha in order to get to the position you're in), and I'm not asking you to change, I'm just saying that it doesn't always work for me. I fail to see how it's in any way "sexist". I have zero problem with females being hosts, in fact I never think about it. As I said, Jayne Sanchez' show is my favorite (by a pretty wide margin, I might add).

I think that KCSM is often too much about the DJ's and not enough about the music (too much talking). Again, that's a subjective matter, but I was a long-time listener, and that's my opinion.

There's no doubt that KCSM is a fine station, and I too want to see it survive and continue to educate, inspire and entertain as it has for so many years.

Guest Bill Barton

I can't say that I've heard a lot of KCSM's programming but am struck by how much of the discussion in this thread relates to the on-air personalities rather than the content of the programming. In this day and age, just be grateful that they are personalities.

Bill, I understand your point in spirit, but in reality, I'm not sure you have any business questioning the validity of the comments made by those of us who have been listening to the station for many years. Personalities are part of the deal, part of the presentation, part of the experience. Just as with movie actors, or sports broadcasters, or food network chefs, people are sometimes going to have negative opinions about or reactions to people in the broadcasting industry. It's a subjective thing, and it doesn't necessarily have to come from a mean-spirited place...

I'm not questioning the validity of anyone's comments. My point was that personality, passion and commitment from radio broadcasters are increasingly going the way of the dodo thanks to the LCD slant that is now the norm in this consultant-driven media world we live in.

Bill, I understand your point in spirit, but in reality, I'm not sure you have any business questioning the validity of the comments made by those of us who have been listening to the station for many years. Personalities are part of the deal, part of the presentation, part of the experience. Just as with movie actors, or sports broadcasters, or food network chefs, people are sometimes going to have negative opinions about or reactions to people in the broadcasting industry. It's a subjective thing, and it doesn't necessarily have to come from a mean-spirited place...

I'm not questioning the validity of anyone's comments. My point was that personality, passion and commitment from radio broadcasters are increasingly going the way of the dodo thanks to the LCD slant that is now the norm in this consultant-driven media world we live in.

Like I said before, I understood the spirit of your point (the bold print was unnecessary, btw). If possible, try thinking about the way you stated it in your first post, and see if you can connect the dots. It might have been better if you had just stated your point without 1) announcing your apparent dissatisfaction with the choices made here by other posters (who unlike yourself have actually spent years listening to the station in question) who elected to talk more about some of the station's personalities than the content of the programming; and 2) decreeing that we should "just be grateful", etc. Your other point was fine, but my reaction to those two things (especially #1) was less than positive. I do see reasons to be grateful for the personalities, but I also see the discussions and criticisms of some of the personalities to be perfectly valid.

By the way, the content of the programming is quite varied, as you might expect from a "24/7" jazz station in a major metropolitan area that's been on the air for 40+ years. When you start discussing the content of a station like this, you almost have to focus on discussing individual programs you may like or dislike, which leads to discussing individual hosts/personalities. On the other hand, some people may want to go directly to discussing the personalities, as they are a major part of the listening experience.

Way to go, Alisa!

Typical Organissimo thread . . . a major jazz radio station staffed by dedicated lovers of the music may go under, and the folks here focus their energies on making snide comments about the deejay's personalities.

Well, perhaps the day will come when there won't be any more jazz deejays. Then everyone can feel smug and validated.

Here's a quick update on KCSM

Our GM Marilyn Lawrence (who is a jazz-lovin' genius) submitted our budget to our board last night--KCSM radio is safe from any movement, cuts, etc., for this next fiscal year as least and they are passionate about our plan on modifying our studio (performance space added) and getting live performance on the web site, etc., so, "The Demise" thread shall be tabled, eh?

nice discussion all,

Alisa

• 10 years later...

Aloha!

Sorry to necro this tread, gents, but I'm a fan of Terrestrial Radio Jazz streaming, and just found it in the archives.  I had no idea that KCSM almost went toes-up - according to the press.  In any event, I'm glad it did not because at the moment I am streaming KCSM and "Jazz Oasis", which I do almost every night Monday - Saturday at 9 PM Eastern, 6 PM Pacific, 3 PM Hawaiian.

I also stream KSDS San Diego, CJRT Toronto, WUCF Orlando, WDCB Chicago, KUWL Wyoming (a Pub Jazz Affiliate Station), KBEM Minneapolis, WBGO New York (technically New Jersey), and sometimes KNKX (or Jazz 24) if the mood strikes.  

Alisa@kcsm.net made a comment that set me back on my heels.  I never thought about it, but truly I think KCSM may still be the only Jazz station that does NOT run ancillary programming of any kind.  No weather reports, no news, no traffic, no nothing - until pledge drive time of course.  I'll have to think about it.  I know WUCF runs news, CJRT (being Canadian) runs commercials even though they are a public radio station.  KUWL has news breaks.  WBGO does.  KBEM certainly does.  KNKX does.  But I am not sure about KSDS nor WCBE.  I'll have to do some critical listening because I honestly can't remember, even though I stream them constantly.  

Nothing on my FM dial in Hawaii for Jazz that even approaches full time.  In my Florida pad I'm too far away to get WUCF, other than a faint ghosting signal, so it's all streaming for me.  And I'm glad to have it.

Mahalo!

-Billy

Edited by BillyBatts

44 minutes ago, bresna said:

It still bums me out that the starter of this thread, "stevebop" Steve Schwartz, died in 2017. He was one of the nicest guys you could meet and a huge advocate for Jazz.

Agreed.  Those of us who knew Steve appreciated his passion and friendship.  He is much missed.

On 6/28/2019 at 2:35 AM, BFrank said:

Yes, we're VERY lucky to have this station in the Bay Area.

Long live KCSM!

KCSM has become one of my most favorite Streaming Resources.  I used to LOVE WUCF Orlando.  They were voted the #1 Jazz station for a few years and I was a huge fan, but lately I have migrated more toward the West Coast for my Jazz Streaming.  Yet I still enjoy WUCF on Occasion, as well as WDCB Chicago and CJRT Toronto.  Yet KSDS San Diego and KCSM have become my go-to stations by far.  KCSM holding the #1 spot for me.

WDCB has exclusive rights to re-broadcast "Legends of Jazz" with Ramsey Lewis.  This is broadcast every Sunday at Noon Central.  I loved that show when it aired and am happy I can listen again.  CJRT has some amazing shows as well, my favorite being "The Big Band Show" every Sunday from 5 - 10 PM Eastern.

When I'm in my Florida home, I never miss "Jazz Oasis" on KCSM as it airs 9 PM - Midnight Eastern.  In Hawaii it's a bit harder to catch it because it's on from 3 PM - 6 PM Hawaiin Time.  You are INDEED lucky to have that station in your back yard.  Congrats!

Aloha!

-Billy

On 6/28/2019 at 9:12 AM, bresna said:

It still bums me out that the starter of this thread, "stevebop" Steve Schwartz, died in 2017. He was one of the nicest guys you could meet and a huge advocate for Jazz.

I had no Idea he had passed.  Sad to hear.