favorite female JAZZ artist??

jazzlovr1990

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, Mary Lou Williams. Somewhere down the line is Marlene Rosenberg. After her somewhere is Ms Krall. I might be able to enjoy her more if silly "street teams" didn't try to tell me how great she is. She can sing but the "baggage" turns me off.

Agree with Chuck. Krall's okay, but I prefer her husband.

Have to say, I find the OP's capitalized emphasis on JAZZ here really amusing.

But I'll play the game. Can't narrow to only one "favorite" but I'll toss into the hat:

Mary Lou Williams

Geri Allen

Jessica Williams

oh, and don't forget Tina Brooks! ;)

Probably vocalists should be ruled out to keep this theme less apples and oranges, but Billie Holiday is one of the top ten jazz artists for me, and Bessie Smith and Sarah Vaughan are not that far behind. Also, whatever happened to drummer Dottie Dodgion? And how could one forget hard-working Chicago bassist Betty Dupree, in her skin-tight dress? Wouldn't mind knowing about the latter-day music of pianist Jane Getz, if there is some available. She was very nice on Pharoah Sanders ESP album, though not a good match with Sanders.

Also, whatever happened to drummer Dottie Dodgion?

Here's a photo of Dottie Dodgion that I took in 1977 with Marian McPartland and Lynn Milano:

1221415032_24f962bb3c.jpg

I believe that she's a singer now with some recordings issued, and lives in California.

Of current players Ingrid Jensen comes to mind.

Edited by marcello

Non-vocalists, well, they seem to end up being pianists for me (in this thread): Schweizer, Crispell, Takase, Carla Bley, and though I haven't followed Geri Allen too much, I do like what I've heard.

Though I do have soft spots for flutist Becky Friend and saxophonist Barbara Thompson!

Ingrid Laubrock is a pretty fine saxophonist, too. Cool trio on Intakt, Sleepthief.

Oh yeah, and Irene Schweizer too.

About time she got mentioned! She was the first that sprang to mind!

Non-vocalists, well, they seem to end up being pianists for me (in this thread): Schweizer, Crispell, Takase, Carla Bley, and though I haven't followed Geri Allen too much, I do like what I've heard.

Though I do have soft spots for flutist Becky Friend and saxophonist Barbara Thompson!

Ingrid Laubrock is a pretty fine saxophonist, too. Cool trio on Intakt, Sleepthief.

The Laubrock disc I just bought - missed her local gig alas.

And yes indeed on Carla Bley! Her music keeps astonishing me again and again, the more I hear the more I like it... but the liking sort of goes up exponentionally :)

Has Karen Borca been mentioned?

Disregarding singers, the first two names that come to mind are Geri Allen and Terri Lynn Harrington.

I like Renee Rosnes and Eliane Elias, but I haven't heard anything from them that makes me think they are really special.

Check out, if you can still find it, Rosnes' Blue Note CD, IN THE MOMENT. She takes an absolutely terrific solo on the opening track, "Summer Night" that also features a marvelous solo by Joe Henderson. Ever since I heard that, I'm more interested in what she has to say than her hubby, Bill Charlap.

Disregarding singers, the first two names that come to mind are Geri Allen and Terri Lynn Harrington.

I like Renee Rosnes and Eliane Elias, but I haven't heard anything from them that makes me think they are really special.

Check out, if you can still find it, Rosnes' Blue Note CD, IN THE MOMENT. She takes an absolutely terrific solo on the opening track, "Summer Night" that also features a marvelous solo by Joe Henderson. Ever since I heard that, I'm more interested in what she has to say than her hubby, Bill Charlap.

Also preferable to Charlap is Rosnes' prior husband, drummer Billy Drummond, a latter-day Kenny Clarke. Charlap has his moments, but his "Written on the Stars" album from a few years back is really strange -- sounds like an attempt to limit his vocabulary (harmonic vocabulary in particular) to what might have been played at the Hickory House in 1955. Producing this neo-dinner music seems to place Charlap under much strain, as though he had to consciously restrict himself from bar to bar. Anxious blandness.