Joey DeFrancesco

He was terrible recently at Blues Alley. In a rather surly mood and no one at our table liked the lame Chick Corea 70s sound his other keyboard was getting from his cheesie synth. Byron Landham almost, almost made up for this far less than lackluster performance. When pressed, JD said he was sick of the guitar. Well, we were sick of his sound as well. :tdown:tdown:tdown

He was terrible recently at Blues Alley. In a rather surly mood and no one at our table liked the lame Chick Corea 70s sound his other keyboard was getting from his cheesie synth. Byron Landham almost, almost made up for this far less than lackluster performance. When pressed, JD said he was sick of the guitar. Well, we were sick of his sound as well. :tdown:tdown:tdown

I saw him last night. The other keyboard player is Pat Bianchi, who lives in Denver now. He also had a vocalist named Colleen McNabb. I sat at their dinner table for a while because he was with a drummer I know Carmen Intorre, who will be playing with him soon and was hitching a ride in his tour bus on the way back to NYC. Joey D was a little surly, but what the hell. Maybe it's just because he's so huge.

He played pretty well but also played a real cheesy keyboard for a toy like sound on Waltz for Debbie, which the singer sang. It didn't come off well. He later played with a small keyboard that he could use with his mouth when festival producer John Nugent sat in on a blues. Nugent is a very good saxophonist, by the way.

The crowd ate it up and demanded a encore.

Edited by marcello

• 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

I think we should re-energize this thread.

I have actually done fairly little to follow Joey, other than his several appearances on John McLaughlin records. Oh, and there's the Yoshi's record with Pat Martino, which to these ears is about as good as guitar-organ-drums gets.  

I've recently been checking out Reboppin', which has a lot of good tracks, as well as the two-disc Christmas album.  

In short, he seems like someone I should look into more deeply.

Edited by Milestones