Ellington 1930s big-band Mosaic

Thanks for the news. 11 cd´s including the vocal tracks - a dream to come true. :)

Wish there was a new Duke Mosaic every year. But what can we expect AFTER this one? What could be the next logical era waiting for a Mosaic treatment? The Complete Columbia & Mercer studio recordings? :tup

That would be a BIG set! JSP put out the late 40s Columbia stuff a few years ago, and Legacy has done just about all (*just about* all) of the classic 50s Columbia albums. Of course, it would be nice to have the 20s Okeh material with acceptable sound (that 2-cd Okeh Ellington set on Columbia is really horrible), and the Mercers would be interesting, if small. Frankly, I think this set will fill just about the last big hole, won't it?

I put in a plug in my little email exchange with Scott for a 60s Johnny Hodges Verve set to follow up the two they've done. Hodges did some marvelous things for Verve during that decade, especially with Wild Bill Davis and Earl Hines.

gregmo

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello After reading this forum for some time now my imput.

Mosaic could still do a lot of Ellington:

The 1925-1931 Sony owned Pathé, Okeh, Romeo, Cameo, Plaza recordings have never been reissued completly. Two takes are still unreissued. It would make a 4 CD set.

The Columbia 1947-1952 period. The so called complete 5 cd series is far from complete. With all unissued takes and takes issued on unlicensed labels a complete set would also amount to 11 CD's.

There is still a lot of material from the 3 56/62 lp's not on CD and together with mistakes made in the past (like the right take of Up and Down from Such Sweet Thunder) that could fill a Select.

Reissue The complete Brunswick/Vocalion set including the later discoverd alternate of Tishomigo Blues and the still unissued take of Oklahoma Stomp.

Remco

Welcome Remco,

I'd be all for any of those sets. I wonder how the market for cds even from specialty labels will be in the future. Hopefully provident for this type of release.

Against my nature I'm not to optimistic. With Classics/Neatwork gone the chances of getting a 'complete' Tommy Dorsey or Harry James (To name two artists whos series will not be finished) became highly improbable. Not that I think that all their output is of great importance as jazz but through Classics you could hear and judge for yourself.

Since the death of John R.T. Davies the number of issues by labels like Jazz Oracle has gone down. Going through Rust there is still enough matrial not reissued since the 78 era.

Remco

Hello After reading this forum for some time now my imput.

Mosaic could still do a lot of Ellington:

The 1925-1931 Sony owned Pathé, Okeh, Romeo, Cameo, Plaza recordings have never been reissued completly. Two takes are still unreissued. It would make a 4 CD set.

The Columbia 1947-1952 period. The so called complete 5 cd series is far from complete. With all unissued takes and takes issued on unlicensed labels a complete set would also amount to 11 CD's.

There is still a lot of material from the 3 56/62 lp's not on CD and together with mistakes made in the past (like the right take of Up and Down from Such Sweet Thunder) that could fill a Select.

Reissue The complete Brunswick/Vocalion set including the later discoverd alternate of Tishomigo Blues and the still unissued take of Oklahoma Stomp.

Remco

The problem for a label like Mosaic is that so much of the "essential" (master takes) music from these periods has been reissued with much of it available used from various sellers, that I just don't think any of it would be viable for them to rework. I especially agree with you about the earlier 25-31 Sony-owned material, though. My guess, however, is that this will be the last Ellington from Mosaic. Not that I wouldn't LOVE to be proved wrong!

And welcome to the group!

gregmo

Remco

Not sure what you're referring to here. What are "the so called complete 5 cd series" and "the 3 56/62 lps not on cd"?

The correct (mono only) version of Up and Down can be found on a cd entitled" Ralph Ellison: Living with Music".

Joe,

CBS France released a five cd set (well, possibly only five separate cd "Volumes") in the early nineties of 1947-1952 Columbia recordings. The fifth had the Liberian Suite and Masterpieces by Ellington.

I spent over a hundred dollars on these, and they've brought me a lot of great listening hours.

Joe,

CBS France released a five cd set (well, possibly only five separate cd "Volumes") in the early nineties of 1947-1952 Columbia recordings. The fifth had the Liberian Suite and Masterpieces by Ellington.

I spent over a hundred dollars on these, and they've brought me a lot of great listening hours.

Thanks. But what were "the 3 56/62 lps not on cd"?

Joe,

Thanks. But what were "the 3 56/62 lps not on cd"?

Would ALL AMERICAN and MIDNIGHT IN PARIS be two of the three?

CBS France issued in 1984 three LP's with rare and unissued tracks on two double LP's and one single LP under the title "Duke 56/62".

Vol. 1 (CBS 88653) covers 1956-1959

Vol. 2 (CBS 88654) covers 1959-1962

Vol. 3 (CBS 26306) The Ellington Orchestra with various vocalists.

Not all of the tracks made it to CD (yet).

Remco

Midnight in Paris has been on CBS France cd several times. I believe All American MAY have been on cd from CBS France (I think I read it was, but I"ve never seen one.)

Yeah Stompy, I'd love to see all the tracks from those lps in one place on cd.

This was a reissue based on a 6 lp set issued in 1983 titled "1947-1952 Recorded Works In Chronological Order". I still have that box.

That's the one I have - any copy of the CD version I have seen so far was too expensive for me. 

This music deserves the Mosaic treatment, and I'm pretty sure Cuscuna has it on his to-do-list.

• 2 months later...

Midnight in Paris has been on CBS France cd several times. I believe All American MAY have been on cd from CBS France (I think I read it was, but I"ve never seen one.)

Yeah Stompy, I'd love to see all the tracks from those lps in one place on cd.

I just discovered that "The Unknown Session" was available on cd from Amazon. It's one of those CBS France issues too. (Though the notes are in English only.)

I'm thrilled that the Mosaic will be available shortly!