Ellington 1930s big-band Mosaic

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Set #840 arrived today. No import duties. :)

Playing disc # 4 now great sound.

Celebrating early Christmas with a bottle of red Burgondy

A small note.

On the French "L'album Hot Vingt Grands Succès De Duke Ellington" the cover photo is also used. There it has an more oblong shape. On the left both trombone payers are visible and Greers drumset as well. Greer himself is not visible. On the right only a small strip is missing.

Maybe there is an even larger version of this photo with the complete orchestra. Would be nice as a poster.

Unfortunately I don't have a scanner so I can share this version of the photo.

Sound so far is crisp and clear. Seems less processed in a quick comparison to some of the same material in the four cd set released in Europe within the last few years, "The Best of Duke Ellington." (The material in that four cd set sounds very good, a bit warmer than on the Mosaic, but I have the sense that there's been more EQ applied; the mastering credits are significantly different.)

This is great music that it's such a gas to visit and revisit! Today I feel so dicty!

Sound so far is crisp and clear. Seems less processed in a quick comparison to some of the same material in the four cd set released in Europe within the last few years, "The Best of Duke Ellington." (The material in that four cd set sounds very good, a bit warmer than on the Mosaic

My reaction too, that the sound was "a bit warmer" on the Europe set, as you say, but I also agree that this set's sound has its own merits so far. (After listening to a disc and a half, anyway.) Just grateful to hear all of this music gathered in one place... I actually haven't heard much of the material on the first four CDs, and there's a fair-ish amount on discs 5-11 that looks new to me as well. (For 1934-40 big-band studio Ducal, all I have besides the Europe set is BRAGGIN' IN BRASS plus a couple of the Chronological Classics from 1939.)

Which carrier delivered the set, UPS, FedEx or TNT?

UPS

They may hit you with a bill later. That's what happened to me last time Mosaic used UPS to send me a set a few years ago. I got a bill from UPS a week or two after they had delivered the set.

Which carrier delivered the set, UPS, FedEx or TNT?

UPS

They may hit you with a bill later. That's what happened to me last time Mosaic used UPS to send me a set a few years ago. I got a bill from UPS a week or two after they had delivered the set.

one time DHL hit me 6 months later with their grossly inflated invoice, never used them since. I'll wait on the Post Office- which will mean into the New Year for mine

The Ellington box is already on backorder!

Good for Mosaic :tup

See post #193 :)

After mocking King Ubu for missing one of my post in the 'Ella in Hollywood' tread, I find myself in the same position for missing an earlier post here.

I'll join Ubu in the Organissimo penitents corner :unsure:

20 Hail Marys and 15 Our Fathers will get you out of the corner with only some minor scuffing. Just don't let this happen again.

Edited by Dave James

Could the people who have received their Ellington set tell us if Mosaic have changed the boxes they use for shipping? JAW mentioned a few months ago that they were considering using sturdier boxes. As I have received quite a few battered sets in the past, I would welcome the change.

Edited by ASNL77