Carmell Jones and Randy Weston Selects in "Running Low"

Man you guys are great for providing the original covers. Does anyone have the means to provide a scan of "Brass Bag", the album on Select 2 co-led by Tricky Lofton and Carmell Jones? It was on Pacific Jazz (ST-49).

Here ya go (I scanned it from the Mosaic booklet):

BrassBag.jpg

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The title was "My Son, the Jazz Drummer".

Was that a takeoff of this?

AllanShermanFS.jpg

Yup . Sherman's LP , whose title parodies Jewish parents and their shepping nachas , was a huge hit , and inspired the Manne and this one too :

Bill_Marx.jpg

"recorded at one of those very expensive Hollywood recording studios" :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Weston Select is now in "Last Chance."

It's now gone.

And apparently just today. I looked at the Mosaic site this morning and it was still listed. Now, as you said, it's gone from the list.

I'm still not 100% sold on the whole set, but I like pieces of it enough that I'm glad I picked it up.

It's now gone.

And apparently just today. I looked at the Mosaic site this morning and it was still listed. Now, as you said, it's gone from the list.

I'm still not 100% sold on the whole set, but I like pieces of it enough that I'm glad I picked it up.

Yeah, I'm pretty much with you CSB'. I'm glad I have it for the live Five Spot set, the trio date, and the Highlife album. I love Little Niles, but I already have it on vinyl. I can't stand the Uhuru album nor the few vocal numbers. The corny singing that closes the otherwise great disc two pisses me off even if the singer IS Commander Cisco's father from Deep Space Nine. So, all in all, I'm glad I have it, but it was missable IMO.

Now - I bought the Dizzy Reece set at about the same time and that is certifiably not missable. I almost didn't buy it and the thought gives me nightmares. Don't miss that one folks. Got to say though, the mastering is on the loud side.

Edited by DemonDuckOfDoom

It's now gone.

Yeah, I'm pretty much with you CSB'. I'm glad I have it for the live Five Spot set, the trio date, and the Highlife album. I love Little Niles, but I already have it on vinyl. I can't stand the Uhuru album nor the few vocal numbers. The corny singing that closes the otherwise great disc two pisses me off even if the singer IS Commander Cisco's father from Deep Space Nine. So, all in all, I'm glad I have it, but it was missable IMO.

Now - I bought the Dizzy Reece set at about the same time and that is certifiably not missable. I almost didn't buy it and the thought gives me nightmares. Don't miss that one folks. Got to say though, the mastering is on the loud side.

What can't you stand about Uhuru?

Now - I bought the Dizzy Reece set at about the same time and that is certifiably not missable. I almost didn't buy it and the thought gives me nightmares. Don't miss that one folks.

Yes indeed.

I didn't actually buy the Mosaic because I had most of the individual albums (and just recently placed an order for the final missing piece), but the music is not to be missed.