New Blue Note SACDs

Cali

Yes. Of. Thanks.

The BN is Along Came John. Bought based on the comment about the organ sounding like it is in the room on this mix. I was really hoping for some big power based on this comment, like Jimmy Smith Live At Smalls, for instance.

Oh well, not my favorite session, though the tune "Gee Gee" really burns.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, agreed on Gee gee.

I'm looking forward to New Soil and Hub-tones too, although Up at Minton's is probably at the top of my list for the upcoming Blue Note SACDs. Sam Rivers is just the tip of the iceberg of what I wish was coming. I could use most of Wayne Shorter's titles on SACD for starters. Chad Kassem told me "maybe" he'll produce a 3rd batch of Blue Notes, so let's cross our fingers for some Rivers and Shorter.

Edited by EyeSpeech

If the first two batches are any indication, Chad Kassem favors the soul/jazz, blues/jazz, hard bop sub-genres. I don't think he'd go for avant garde records but stranger things have happened.

Agreed. Some Blue Note listeners, it seems, forget how diverse the label actually is. How about an SACD of Art Hodes on Blue Note? Or the Port of Harlem Jazzmen!

Nah. (Yes!)

If the first two batches are any indication, Chad Kassem favors the soul/jazz, blues/jazz, hard bop sub-genres. I don't think he'd go for avant garde records but stranger things have happened. I put in a request for some Shorter stuff.

My hunch is that their choices reflect business decisions more than personal preferences. They probably chose an array that would have relatively broad appeal, especially for the first few batches. Maybe they will feel more confident about throwing in some less mainstream titles in the future if the series does well.

At least one Wayne Shorter title would please me greatly, starting with, say Night Dreamer...

Can someone list what BN titles have been resissued as SACD's? The BN website is comepletly useless. Thanks!

Acoustic Sounds owner Chad Kassem's label Analogue Productions released the Blue Note SACDs, not Blue Note:

Blue Note SACDs

They've also released some Impulse! and Verve titles:

Impulse! SACDs

Verve SACDs

AudioWave released some Blue Note titles on XRCD (playable on regular CD players). The ones I've heard sound great.

Most of the SACDs and XRCDs are available for lower prices from Import CDs

If the first two batches are any indication, Chad Kassem favors the soul/jazz, blues/jazz, hard bop sub-genres. I don't think he'd go for avant garde records but stranger things have happened. I put in a request for some Shorter stuff.

My hunch is that their choices reflect business decisions more than personal preferences. They probably chose an array that would have relatively broad appeal, especially for the first few batches. Maybe they will feel more confident about throwing in some less mainstream titles in the future if the series does well.

At least one Wayne Shorter title would please me greatly, starting with, say Night Dreamer...

Yes, I requested that among some other Shorter titles to Chad. He is a blues fanatic and produced many blues sessions at his own Blue Heaven studios in Kansas. I am 90% sure that he chose the soul-jazz/blues-jazz titles because of his personal blues/R&B preference. I think this is a labor of love for him. If he wanted to make smart business decisions he'd sign someone like Justin Bieber and forget about jazz.

• 3 weeks later...

I really wish Andrew Hill's Point of Departure would make the SACD or XRCD reissue list. I put on the RVG this week, and had to take it off almost instantly. Unfortunately, I've been in a huge fault-finding spree with RVG's remasterings recently, and as a result dumping just about every RVG I have. Not all, but a lot. I was an early supporter of this series, and now, though I really don't want to be, am very sour on the series. Part of this, I think, is that I've configured my stereo set-up (I guess?) to favor TOCJs.

At any rate, if a SACD of this title doesn't show up in the next 2-3 years, I'll be emailing Hiroshi for the TOCJ ...

• 3 months later...

I was an early supporter of this series, and now, though I really don't want to be, am very sour on the series. Part of this, I think, is that I've configured my stereo set-up (I guess?) to favor TOCJs.

Yep, that'll do it. The TOCJ are very laid back compared to the forward and bright RVGs. I could see how a system optimized for one will not do justice to the other.

I am not as keen on any CD...the SACDs let me hear more detail. So I continue to collect these APs. I just ordered six more:

Introducing the 3 Sounds

Dizzy Reece Soundin' Off

Duke Jordan Flight To Jordan

Fred Jackson Hootin N Tootin

Freddie Hubbard Artistry Of Freddie Hubbard

Lou Donaldson Time Is Right