Debut Fantasy boxed set

I have SOME of this stuff but not ALL of it.

I don't believe this is anywhere near-exhaustive as a Debut boxed set - in fact, I seem to remember a different big-box set preceding this one - but is the $40 sale price worth it? I have the Massey Hall, St. Nick's, Bohemia, Dorham and Bley. Don't have the Four Trombones, the Teo or the Bud.

Edited by clifford_thornton

I don't believe this is anywhere near-exhaustive as a Debut boxed set - in fact, I seem to remember a different big-box set preceding this one - but is the $40 sale price worth it? I have the Massey Hall, St. Nick's, Bohemia, Dorham and Bley. Don't have the Four Trombones, the Teo or the Bud.

No, I wouldn't spend $40.00 on it. Buy it from a marketplace seller on Amazon.com. Newbury Comics is selling a new one there for $15.99 as of this posting.

Edited by mikelz777

I have the Prestige Story set [similar deal - label retrospective.] It is more listenable than I anticipated. Generally, I would prefer the full albums, but it is great as it is.

Will probably pick this set up from Newbury, too!

Edited by WD45

No, I wouldn't spend $40.00 on it. Buy it from a marketplace seller on Amazon.com. Newbury Comics is selling a new one there for $15.99 as of this posting.

You just gotta love Newbury Comics. :tup

You just gotta love Newbury Comics. :tup

Seconded. True Blue Music isn't bad either, but unfortunately their prices are rather high in comparison.

I think I picked mine up for about 9 Euros from zweitausendeins, back when they had that amazing Fantasy box set sale some years ago.

It has some Alonzo Levister material that is not on the big 10CD Mingus Debut box set, among other things. Definitely worth rooting for at $15 !

the teo stuff didn't make it to the set (though it's mentioned in the booklet as if it was) due to some legal conflicts... that alonzo levister track is cool, you get most of the teddy charles/miles davis album if you don't have it anyway, a john dennis solo track which is nice (also a trio one), a surprisingly good clarinet piece by sam most (?), some john laporta... plus a bunch of mingus, some of that shafi hadi/gene shaw session and that jimmy knepper/joe maini/bill triglia session... mostly only two tracks of a thing but good ones... it's a nicely done box set...

thinking about it, of all the compilations i have this is the one that made me buy the most individual albums afterwards (dorham, knepper/maini, john dennis, shafi hadi, pettiford... and i'm not yet done, still missing at least the thad jones, maybe the mingus/nadi qamar, the ada moore...))

Edited by Niko

Agreed--got mine through Newbury a couple of months ago for that price & it was definitely worth it.

How's the booklet, if there is one? I'm particularly interested not just because of the music but also because of the history of the Mingus/Roach label.

nice! i'd say three pages about the history of the label and then discussion of artists and session, going from memory i'd say three sessions per page (50% text, 50% pictures), photos of most performers, reproductions of all the original covers (all on two pages, so they're tiny...)... it's not uptown records but besides that it's really fine...

here's an old article on alonzo levister btw

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=0O0QA...alonzo-levister

Edited by Niko