Your audio equipment?

neveronfriday

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...

It cost me 3100 dollars, but it enabled me to sell another item significantly defraying that cost, and move my stock DSD to improve another system. I bought it from a fellow PS Audio DSD owner via the PS Audio forum, who had decided to move to an even more expensive DAC.

• 2 weeks later...

Two cats and a girlfriend. Neither of them pay much attention to the speakers, which I keep stored in a corner of the flat and take out when no one is looking 

I will admit that they are "over the top", but the sound is really nice, even at low volume which is how I do most of my listening, to preserve my ears. I guess I would qualify as an "audiophile" - so a bit obsessive about the quality of sound "reproduction". We can obviously enjoy music whichever way it comes.

I published a small interview with Jan Evensmo on an "audiophile" forum, and concluded by asking him about his equipment. He replied:  "My audio equipment is very modest, just an amplifier, CD-player, turntable (with all speeds) and cassette player, all old stuff. Had to give up the reel player. And a pc connected to play all the music files I receive, plus spotify. I have never been very interested in sound as such. I noticed that people with expensive equipment always had very few records to play!!"

I believe my interest in audio never comes before my passion for music, and this is why I am here (to discuss music, mostly) !

Edited by hopkins

I can almost imagine how they sound! Kudos for building those yourself.

I too am an audiophile. . . but I have so many recordings I have to store many of them in a climate-controlled storage space. . . it's about the music to me ultimately.

1 hour ago, hopkins said:

I noticed that people with expensive equipment always had very few records to play!!"

I'm sure we've all met these people but in my experience it's far more common for people interested in audio equipment to also be very interested in music.

P.S. Absolutely in awe of Charlieboy's collection. Sure you can only listen to one set of gear at a time but if you have the space and the cash why not enjoy? Do I really need a dozen Monk live albums? Probably not. Who cares. :D

Edited by paulfromcamden

My setup is:

Receiver: McIntosh Mac4100 (Craigslist pick up to replace a Marantz 2238B i need to recap)

Turntable: Pioneer PL-55 (I picked this up in Albuquerque, NM from a thrift shop cheap because they were moving and cleaned/rebuilt it)

Cartridge: Ortofon 2M Blue

CD Player: Emotiva ERC-3 

Tape Deck: Tascam 112B (picked up on Craigslist for $20 and rebuilt it)

also a Nakamichi RX-202 (sometimes you hit play and it doesn't move, turn it off and back on and its fine, I've taken it apart a couple times and can't figure out the issue)

Speakers: Klipsch RB-81 Reference II

My most recent CD upgrade was one of these - Naim CD555. Solid aluminium block and I run it with separate power supplies for the analogue and digital circuits. Weighs a ton !

207naim140816.jpg

I figure that this will be the last CD player I ever bother with. When it is no longer supportable I can retain the supplies and just switch to Naim’s 555 reference streamer.

Although vinyl playback on my LP12 setup is still superior for the most part, this beast runs it fairly close.

You can even do an ‘open sesame’ with the hands and open the lid !

Edited by sidewinder

13 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

My most recent CD upgrade was one of these - Naim CD555. Solid aluminium block and I run it with separate power supplies for the analogue and digital circuits. Weighs a ton !

207naim140816.jpg

I figure that this will be the last CD player I ever bother with. When it is no longer supportable I can retain the supplies and just switch to Naim’s 555 reference streamer.

Although vinyl playback on my LP12 setup is still superior for the most part, this beast runs it fairly close.

Nice. I like that its a simple lid loader. I didn't look into CD Players too much when I got the Emotiva ERC-3. I read good reviews and pulled the trigger. I figure it should be my last CD player or at least for the next couple decades. My only complaint is it loads slow but its not really an issue other than slight annoyance. 

1 minute ago, jcam_44 said:

Nice. I like that its a simple lid loader. I didn't look into CD Players too much when I got the Emotiva ERC-3. I read good reviews and pulled the trigger. I figure it should be my last CD player or at least for the next couple decades. My only complaint is it loads slow but its not really an issue other than slight annoyance. 

Yes, you can open and close the lid via the remote or alternatively wave a hand next to the built in sensor. The lid even has a built in calibration facility which you can use if the lid mechanism ever goes out of kilter.

My simple set up:

Numark Pro TT-2 turntable with Shure M55E
Sony CDP-XB930 CD player
Croft Phono Integrated amp
Altec 9842 speakers

I need to sort out a better turntable at some point but I quite like sound it makes and it's nice to be able play 78s.

Headphone amp on the way so I can listen to skronky free improv without worrying about a divorce.

3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

207naim140816.jpg

I thought my last CD player was the linn cd12 I bought 20 years ago but after I discovered replacement parts aren’t available anymore my next “last CD player “ will be an entry level of Rega or Naim, my last one and cheapest one. No way I spend big money on digital anymore. 

Edited by porcy62