George Russell (1923-2009)

clifford_thornton

There was a time where I spun that 2LP compilation of his Riverside work several times daily. Jazz in the Space Age, though, strikes me as the real masterpiece of the period. Very sad to hear he's gone.

& yes I've read The Lydian Chromatic Concept & messed around with its theories a fair bit at one time (& that little set of punchcards). It's a very helpful way of thinking about music.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New York, New York was one of the first 100 or so jazz albums I ever bought....cutout bin fodder, 3/$1.00...I had never heard of George Russell, but I had heard Trane (on Transition) and had heard of Bill Evans and Art Farmer and Max Roach, so yeah, for 33 cents, why not?

Even now, especially now, that album enrances...so much music there.

Very sad news - his music is of the kind that never fails to make me listen real closely. Always manages to arouse my interest and curiosity.

What an original mind! I think that Decca twofer was my first encounter with him. He had a deep understanding of Cuban rhythm and was able to use them without slavishly sticking to them. There have been few who have successfully done that without losing the groove.

R.I.P.

Very sad news - his music is of the kind that never fails to make me listen real closely. Always manages to arouse my interest and curiosity.

What an original mind! I think that Decca twofer was my first encounter with him. He had a deep understanding of Cuban rhythm and was able to use them without slavishly sticking to them. There have been few who have successfully done that without losing the groove.

R.I.P.

I agree with your comments. Sad news... I really enjoy his music as well! R.I.P.

RIP. When I was in college I had an ABC Riverside LP of his which combined songs from The Stratus Seekers and his other Riverside album and featured Don Ellis and Eric Dolphy. I enjoyed playing that one a lot.

Here's his LA Times obituary:

George Russell dies at 86; composer influenced the evolution of jazz

As a music theorist, he created the Lydian Concept to free improvisers from what he called the 'tyranny of chords.' By Don Heckman

July 29, 2009 George Russell, a composer, educator and theorist who had a powerful effect on the jazz forms and methods that have evolved from the 1950s to the present, has died. He was 86.

A MacArthur Foundation Award winner, a National Endowment for the Arts Jazz Master and a Distinguished Artist-in-Residence Emeritus at the New England Conservatory, where he taught for 35 years, Russell died Monday in Boston of complications from Alzheimer's disease.

Russell was a rare spokesman for the study of theoretical principles in an art form that emphasizes improvisation and spontaneity. His treatise “The Lydian Chromatic Concept of Tonal Organization” -- first published in 1953 -- had a significant effect on the growing fascination with modal and free improvisation surfacing in the late 1950s. Elements of the concept, which outlines methods by which improvisers can free themselves from the "tyranny of chords," as Russell described it, were a factor in the modal works present in Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue," the bestselling album in jazz history.

Russell's premise that jazz improvisation could reach beyond well-established harmonic foundations further validated the methods chosen by jazz artists such as John Coltrane, Eric Dolphy, Ornette Coleman, Herbie Hancock, Don Ellis, Wayne Shorter and others. His own compositions -- beginning with the startlingly inventive music on his mid-1950s breakthrough recording, "The Jazz Workshop," continuing with his small groups of the '60s, occasional large ensembles of the '80s, and the Living Time Orchestra that he led on and off until his death -- were constantly evolving displays of the expansive possibilities of his creative overview.

"My work," he told The Times after the MacArthur grant was awarded in 1989, "tries to achieve a kind of world view or synthesis of many kinds of musics, one that doesn't ignore the sounds of our time. My hope is that it's a complete music -- physical, emotional as well as thought-provoking."

George Allen Russell was born June 23, 1923, in Cincinnati, the adopted son of Joseph, a chef on the B&O Railroad, and Bessie, a nurse. Drawn to music at an early age, he sang a number with Fats Waller at age 7 and played drums in a Boy Scout drum and bugle corps. After receiving a scholarship to Wilberforce University, he was called up for the World War II draft. But when tuberculosis was diagnosed in his examination, he was hospitalized, serendipitously with a fellow patient who instructed him in the fundamentals of music theory.

Briefly working as a jazz drummer after his release, Russell decided to explore other areas of music after hearing Max Roach play the drums, and wound up in New York City. By the mid-1940s, he had become part of an adventurous group of young musicians -- Davis, Gerry Mulligan, John Lewis, John Benson Brooks among them -- who frequented Gil Evan's West Side apartment. Told by Davis that he wanted to "learn all the changes," Russell interpreted the remark as a quest to find new ways to approach harmony, and he began to work on his Lydian Concept. Applying the principles he was discovering, he composed "Cubana Be/Cubana Bop" -- early examples of the blending of jazz and Afro-Cuban rhythms -- for Dizzy Gillespie's big band.

In the 1950s, while still supporting himself with odd jobs, he wrote and recorded "The Jazz Workshop" album, which -- combined with the publication of the Lydian Concept -- thoroughly established his credibility as a jazz artist. A commission from the Brandeis Jazz Festival followed, along with the large ensemble album, "New York, New York," which showcased Russell compositions performed by an all-star assemblage that included Coltrane, Bill Evans, Jon Hendricks and others.

Russell led his own sextets in the 1960s, but by mid-decade, the music industry's turn toward rock music had diminished the employment potential for jazz players. He moved to Sweden until 1969, then returned to teach at the New England Conservatory.

A second volume of his Lydian Concept -- "The Art and Science of Tonal Gravity" -- was published in 2001.

He is survived by his wife, Alice; a son, Millgardh; and three grandchildren.

Such a sad new.

I love his classic recordings, some of the most underrated jazz music ever, incredibly, almost magically mixing spontaneity and structure. I was lucky enough to see him performing twice in Italy, always great, great moments of music.

Thank you for all your awesome music mr.Russell.

Thank you for all the great time your music let me spend.

Discovering the Ezz-thetics album with Dolphy was one of those life-changing experiences for me - I listened to that one over and over.

I played that one again yesterday and its still a mind blower. Dolphy just explodes out of the speakers.

NP: Electronic Sonata.

sad stuff; he was an interesting guy. The one time I met him, maybe 1979, he found out that I knew Curely Russell and Tommy Potter, and he just peppered me with questions about them and what they were doing, how they were, etc. It was very striking because he was so interested in what had happened to the old beboppers that I knew and what had become of them. I got the feeling that he thought of the bebop days as the most exciting events he had ever experienced, which is no great surprise, though I was interested to see how he had personalized the experience. I also got the impression that he was completely lacking in vanity and had not lost anyof his personal curiousity or intellectual hunger.

Edited by AllenLowe

I don't recall how I discovered his recordings back in the early 70's, but they opened up my mind. Never got around to studying Lydian Chromatic Theory but that's okay, I wasn't playing in the band. The music made sense enough to me. And he was a big fan of Cecil Taylor's, said that no great jazz musician had appeared on the scene since CT. This was sometime in the 90's, I believe. A jazz deity, so long Mr. Russell.

I'm hearing word that George Russell, pianist and composer, has died.

This is the only "printed" source I have seen though there is banter elsewhere about this.

Hope it ain't so but if it is, Rest in Peace, Mr. Russell, and thanks for all you gave.

He was, and still is. He was an origianal in an age when that word became a joke. If this weren't a 'nation of barbarians' as the late, great Bill Finegan told me once, there would be a statue of George erected.

But he had a great life and his music will always be here. No one ever is gonna write a piece like Sister Clara (probably the wrong name, it was on the RCA Jazz Arrangers' Workshop, featuring Hal McCusick. George's music was teeming with life, imagination, and humor. And his craft was flawless.

A lot of good comments here about a very unique composer/musician in jazz. I discovered him about ten years ago when someone played me The Outer View at a blindfold party. I've been seeking his music ever since. I think my favorite album is Jazz in the Space Age. I played it yesterday along with another one that I think is really special and that's Trip to Prillarguri on Soul Note. Like all of his music it bristle's with energy and it has a great band with some really excellent playing by Jan Garbarek and a trumpet player I wasn't familiar with, Stanton Davis.

Thankfully Mr. Russell left us a lot of music to enjoy. He'll live on through his albums.

I think is really special and that's Trip to Prillarguri on Soul Note. Like all of his music it bristle's with energy and it has a great band with some really excellent playing by Jan Garbarek and a trumpet player I wasn't familiar with, Stanton Davis.

I need to track that one down, been really enjoying Electronic Sonata 1968 this week. I think if I would have heard that record when it came out I would have freaked out. Its so ahead of its time, sadly it seems like it was lost on everybody. Maybe in passing George Russell will get the credit he finally deserves.

This was sad news. He left an everlasting mark with his theory, though. Ever since learning about Gigi Gryce's (among so many others') use of his Lydian Chromatic Concept of Tonal Organization, I've been meaning to pick up a copy, but I can't find it for under $125. That's too steep for someone like me, who is intellectually interested but bereft of the musical talent or discipline to put it to use :blush2: .

Yesterday I happened to be reading Norman C. Weinstein's book A Night in Tunisia: Imaginings of Africa in Jazz. I coincidentally arrived at the chapter on Russell, and it is excellent. I haven't bought a record or CD in months due to budget concerns, but after reading that yesterday I just needed to hear more Russell. I caved and went to the local record shop, and, sure enough, sitting right there was The African Game, which is the album around which Weinstein's chapter focuses itself. Apparently it features electronic pencil sharpeners! Can't wait to hear it!

...will be at a panel discussion today with David Baker and others....I'm sure George will come up in conversation.

m

I've enjoyed Dave Baker's beautifully fluent playing on the 'Ezz-thetic' session for nigh on 35 years now and as a dabbler (in the worst sense) on the 'bone it still leaves me gobsmacked. Any particular recollections of that session would be interesting. Not least the 'mix' of Dolphy and Don Ellis. :)

Edited by sidewinder

Listening to 'Ezz-thetic', Russell's piano 'commentary' to what the soloists are playing, particularly stands out. It's 'arranger's piano' in the same way Gil Evans also used to contribute to his groups. Throwing in the occasional wide ball to stir up new ideas and to steer the music. In Russell's playing you can also sense a very tangible bridge between bebop directly to the avant-garde.

This is a late post. I need to come here more often. But this is very sad. George Russell was one of my favorite composers. The man never received the recognition he deserved. Not sure why but it's common for truly gifted artists who work outside the commercial and mainstream to not receive the accolades and recognition they deserve.

bw-big.jpg

This is a late post. I need to come here more often. But this is very sad. George Russell was one of my favorite composers. The man never received the recognition he deserved. Not sure why but it's common for truly gifted artists who work outside the commercial and mainstream to not receive the accolades and recognition they deserve.

bw-big.jpg

Also from his website: "Russell has received the MacArthur Foundation Fellowship, the National Endowment for the Arts American Jazz Master, been elected a Foreign Member of the Royal Swedish Academy, two Guggenheim Fellowships, the Oscar du Disque de Jazz, the Guardian Award, six NEA Music Fellowships, the American Music Award, and numerous others." I understand maybe he struggled financially, but that list amounts to "recognition," as far as I'm concerned. Do you mean to say that he didn't receive the accolades and recognition he deserves from the commercial mainstream? Would you have expected that?