The Complete H.R.S. Sessions.

FOR ANYONE INTERESTED;

I have a mint copy of Discs 3-4 of this set that I will trade for a 2 CD Mosaic partial or an extra Select that someone might have.

Discs 3-4 feature: Joe Thomas, Harry Carney, Dicky Wells, Sandy Williams, 2 sessions of Buck Clayton, Trummy Young, Billy Kyle, and Russell Procope.

Would be a good way to get a taste of this set....

PM me if you are interested with a trade proposal.

Jeff

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

No dilemma here. This one has been sitting on my shelves for a while.... :w

Just ordered it. No brainer - once the NY to Bognor packet steamer has arrived it'll be on my racks too in a jiff.. :P

:lol:

By the way, it seems that surface shipping is now the best option with Mosaic for the UK and for small orders. My last two orders shipped Airmail and took nearly three weeks to reach me. What a shame Mosaic don't work with DHL any longer. USPS are no way near as good as DHL and my last parcel arrived in poor condition. Mosaic kindly agreed to replace the boxes that arrived all battered.

Edited by ASNL77

The surface mail option usually works fine for me - and $12 is OK cost-wise. Most of the time it gets shipped Air Mail anyway (although I have visions of it ending up in some Russian-registered bulk carrier taken over by Somali pirates :unsure: ). Too bad the cut-off is $100 otherwise I would have sneeked in a Carmell Jones.

Edited by sidewinder

Just ordered it. No brainer - once the NY to Bognor packet steamer has arrived it'll be on my racks too in a jiff.. :P

:lol:

By the way, it seems that surface shipping is now the best option with Mosaic for the UK and for small orders. My last two orders shipped Airmail and took nearly three weeks to reach me. What a shame Mosaic don't work with DHL any longer. USPS are not way near as good as DHL and my last parcel arrived in poor condition. Mosaic kindly agreed to replace the boxes that arrived all battered.

DHL seems to hardly exist any more, one of the first victims of the financial collapse (or a coincidence of timing), seems to have shrunk in size considerably.

Alright, I caved and just ordered this one and the Lester Young set because the site says that one will be back in late August, which is... now. I hope that is accurate.

Staff meeting next week... let's hope that doesn't mean there's another set of layoffs this fall!

Edited by zanonesdelpueblo

The main draw for me here is the Bechet (who I'm still a newcomer to, having only checked out some of the BN sides from the library back in the day). Of all the material Bechet recorded, where does this rank? (10=the very best stuff he ever did, 8=probably essential, 5=as good as anything but not a standout, 1=think most of Bud Powell's 1960s material).

The main draw for me here is the Bechet (who I'm still a newcomer to, having only checked out some of the BN sides from the library back in the day). Of all the material Bechet recorded, where does this rank? (10=the very best stuff he ever did, 8=probably essential, 5=as good as anything but not a standout, 1=think most of Bud Powell's 1960s material).

I'd put it at a 9 - I would only put the best of the Victors, the best of the Blue Notes, and the best of his early-20s masterpieces ("Cake Walkin' Babies," "Texas Moaner," "Old Fashioned Love," etc.) above it. If you are only interested in that session, it's available (without the two alternate takes) on this CD.

Hopefully that doesn't mean sitting and collecting dust. :huh: I'm still deciding this one.

What a shame Mosaic don't work with DHL any longer. USPS are no way near as good as DHL and my last parcel arrived in poor condition.

Hmmm, I've had just the opposite experience. I'm actually glad Mosaic doesn't use DHL anymore and gives you the option of USPS Priority Mail instead. I've got a whole cubicle wall full of black box covers as remnants of battered parcels that I sheepishly had to ask Mosaic to replace, sometimes more than once per order. Two-day DHL from Stamford to San Diego was notoriously bad (at least for me).

On the bright side, my cube looks kind of cool and is the model for our department! :cool: