Feedback on My NY Jazz Column...New To The Board!

Hello everybody!

I am new to the board and I have been writing a column for Examiner.com online as their New York Jazz Music Examiner. I am reaching out to all of my fellow lovers of jazz for interesting jazz people and events that I can inform my New York readers about. I just did an article of sax players, and recently did an article on my interview with Freda Payne and her tribute to Ella Fitzgerald. It's great writing these articles and doing my small part to help keep jazz alive and also introducing jazz to new listeners and young people. So, if you know something you think I should know, please let me know!

In the mean time, here's a link to my last article. You can check out the rest of my articles by going to my home page.

:excited:The sensuous genius of "sax"

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello everybody!

I am new to the board and I have been writing a column for Examiner.com online as their New York Jazz Music Examiner. I am reaching out to all of my fellow lovers of jazz for interesting jazz people and events that I can inform my New York readers about. I just did an article of sax players, and recently did an article on my interview with Freda Payne and her tribute to Ella Fitzgerald. It's great writing these articles and doing my small part to help keep jazz alive and also introducing jazz to new listeners and young people. So, if you know something you think I should know, please let me know!

In the mean time, here's a link to my last article. You can check out the rest of my articles by going to my home page.

Boney Fucking James is your idea of jazz saxophone?

And Dave Koz?

It is really, really sad that you are the New York Jazz Examiner.

Here's a suggestion: go to Smoke and hear Eric Alexander. Go to Smalls and listen to Ian Hendrickson-Smith.

And stop confusing "smooth jazz" with the real thing.

Hello everybody!

And Dave Koz?

Here's a suggestion: go to Smoke and hear Eric Alexander. Go to Smalls and listen to Ian Hendrickson-Smith.

Who said that my list ended there, or that my articles would end there. That wasn't the point. It's nice to meet you too. I am making the rounds, I haven't said I won't interview Eric, and I wouldn't make such broad and sweeping conclusions. I have written 12 articles in 3 weeks and just getting started. Reaching out to people who love jazz means ALL people and ALL jazz musicians. I know that some consider my list light weights, but you aren't going to get some people to support jazz by being rude and opinionated. That's always been an issue. That's not what I am about, and its not what my column is about. Like I said, it's nice to meet you too. Whoever pissed you off today has nothing to do with me and what I am about. Thanks for the input.

There's several free out door concerts this week featuring varied players. Go out and hear a potpourri of music for free this week in NYC:

Wednesday, August: John Scofield Trio with Steve Swallow, Bill Stewart - Madison Square Park 7 pm

Jazzmobile: Benny Powell Grant’s Tomb 7 pm

Amir ElSaffar’s Two Rivers Large Ensemble with Hafez Modirzadeh, Vijay Iyer, JD Parran, Jason Adasiewicz, Jerome Harris, Peter Zummo, Sam Newsome, Anwar Diab Agha, Brahim Fribgane, Dena El Saffar, Gaida, Michael Ibrahim,Tareq Abboushi, Tim Moore, Carlo DeRosa, Eric McPherson; Dave Brubeck Quartet with guest Simon Shaheen - Damrosch Park 7:30 pm

Thursday, August 6: Donny McCaslin Quartet Citigroup Center Plaza 12:30 pm

Friday, August 7: Jazzmobile: Jeremy Pelt Marcus Garvey Park 7 pm

Hello everybody!

And Dave Koz?

Who said that my list ended there, or that my articles would end there. That wasn't the point. It's nice to meet you too. I am making the rounds, I haven't said I won't interview Eric, and I wouldn't make such broad and sweeping conclusions. I have written 12 articles in 3 weeks and just getting started. Reaching out to people who love jazz means ALL people and ALL jazz musicians. I know that some consider my list light weights, but you aren't going to get some people to support jazz by being rude and opinionated. That's always been an issue. That's not what I am about, and its not what my column is about. Like I said, it's nice to meet you too. Whoever pissed you off today has nothing to do with me and what I am about. Thanks for the input.

You pissed me off today. No one else. You live in New York, write about jazz in NEW YORK and choose to highlight two guys who don't play jazz and don't need any help selling CDs or getting yuppies to attend their shows.

I guess there is some hope though - you didn't tell us that Kenny G turns you into putty.

I think NY jazz readers rely on All About Jazz New York and Hot House for information about gigs, interviews, articles and reviews about real jazz artists. Check them out, while you ought to visit clubs like Birdland, Smalls, Smoke, The Jazz Standard, etc.

Edited by Ken Dryden

Hello everybody!

And Dave Koz?

You pissed me off today. No one else. You live in New York, write about jazz in NEW YORK and choose to highlight two guys who don't play jazz and don't need any help selling CDs or getting yuppies to attend their shows.

I guess there is some hope though - you didn't tell us that Kenny G turns you into putty.

I am covering those artists more than anything. If you had read all of my articles, ( I just started, I only have 12) you would have known that! I pissed you off? How can you be so pissed at someone you don't know anything about and haven't really read. You don't even know the purpose of my column. But that's not my problem, and that's not why I came here. I asked for input. My main focus is on those who need help selling their CDs and getting more of an audience. I don't mind an honest debate and discussion. You jumped off without even reading the post regarding why I came here in the first place. If you think you can "school" someone, you don't hit them with a baseball bat in order to prove your point! You based your critique on two names of artists you obviously hate. You took that out on me. That was not only rude it was unjustified.

I think NY jazz readers rely on All About Jazz New York and Hot House for information about gigs, interviews, articles and reviews about real jazz artists. Check them out, while you ought to visit clubs like Birdland, Smalls, Smoke, The Jazz Standard, etc.

I have and I will continue. I have many, many more interviews and articles planned. I love All About Jazz. They have covered my work as a vocalist. Thanks.

There's several free out door concerts this week featuring varied players. Go out and hear a potpourri of music for free this week in NYC:

Wednesday, August: John Scofield Trio with Steve Swallow, Bill Stewart - Madison Square Park 7 pm

Jazzmobile: Benny Powell Grant’s Tomb 7 pm

Amir ElSaffar’s Two Rivers Large Ensemble with Hafez Modirzadeh, Vijay Iyer, JD Parran, Jason Adasiewicz, Jerome Harris, Peter Zummo, Sam Newsome, Anwar Diab Agha, Brahim Fribgane, Dena El Saffar, Gaida, Michael Ibrahim,Tareq Abboushi, Tim Moore, Carlo DeRosa, Eric McPherson; Dave Brubeck Quartet with guest Simon Shaheen - Damrosch Park 7:30 pm

Thursday, August 6: Donny McCaslin Quartet Citigroup Center Plaza 12:30 pm

Friday, August 7: Jazzmobile: Jeremy Pelt Marcus Garvey Park 7 pm

Thanks. I wrote a little about Jazzmobile in one of my first articles. I am a big fan. My purpose in coming here was to get info like you provided in case I miss some events.

Sorry but I quite noticed what the stated purpose of your post:

Hello everybody!

I am new to the board and I have been writing a column for Examiner.com online as their New York Jazz Music Examiner. I am reaching out to all of my fellow lovers of jazz for interesting jazz people (OR NON-JAZZ PEOPLE) and events that I can inform my New York readers about. I just did an article of sax players (MOST OF WHOM NO JAZZ FAN RECOGNIZES AS JAZZ MUSICIANS), and recently did an article on my interview with Freda Payne and her tribute to Ella Fitzgerald. It's great writing these articles and doing my small part to help keep jazz alive (BY PERPETUATING THE NOTION THAT NON-JAZZ ARTISTS LIKE BONEY JAMES AND DAVE KOZ ARE A PART OF ITS GREAT HISTORY) and also introducing jazz to new listeners and young people. So, if you know something you think I should know, please let me know!

You're looking for help? Well you certainly do need it. You live in New York and give mad props to Boney James and Dave Koz as great saxophonists.

And here's a tip: If you want help, ask for help. If you offer your writings, be prepared to take some criticism.

Sorry but I quite noticed what the stated purpose of your post:

Hello everybody!

I am new to the board and I have been writing a column for Examiner.com online as their New York Jazz Music Examiner. I am reaching out to all of my fellow lovers of jazz for interesting jazz people (OR NON-JAZZ PEOPLE) and events that I can inform my New York readers about. I just did an article of sax players (MOST OF WHOM NO JAZZ FAN RECOGNIZES AS JAZZ MUSICIANS), and recently did an article on my interview with Freda Payne and her tribute to Ella Fitzgerald. It's great writing these articles and doing my small part to help keep jazz alive (BY PERPETUATING THE NOTION THAT NON-JAZZ ARTISTS LIKE BONEY JAMES AND DAVE KOZ ARE A PART OF ITS GREAT HISTORY) and also introducing jazz to new listeners and young people. So, if you know something you think I should know, please let me know!

You're looking for help? Well you certainly do need it. You live in New York and give mad props to Boney James and Dave Koz as great saxophonists.

And here's a tip: If you want help, ask for help. If you offer your writings, be prepared to take some criticism.

Took it, accepted it. You seem to be pretty thin skinned yourself. I have no problem with criticisms. What I have an issue with is rudeness and arrogance. I might need help, you sir need manors. At least I asked.

Jim, Freda Payne is at Iridium this week.

Freda%20Payne.jpg

Iridium - Freda Payne

You can download All About Jazz - New York or better yet, subscribe:

All About Jazz-New York

NEW YORK'S ONLY HOMEGROWN JAZZ GAZETTE

116 Pinehurst Avenue, Ste. J41

New York, NY 10033

PH/FAX: 212-568-9628

I had a great interview with her and she loved the article. She's a pro, and she has a lot of class!

Took it, accepted it. You seem to be pretty thin skinned yourself. I have no problem with criticisms. What I have an issue with is rudeness and arrogance. I might need help, you sir need manors. At least I asked.

oh_snap.gif

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Dan,

This is the kind of thing that I think really gives the O board, and by extension the BAND Organissimo, a bad name. Didn't Jim ask all of us a while back to cool out, especially in regards to how we treat newcomers, because these things reflect badly on the BAND?

Think about it for a minute... we have a newcomer here who has the potential to HELP the band through her position, yet her first interaction with board members is to be dumped on and cursed at. How does that help the band in any way??? Hell, I'm embarrassed by your responses, and my name isn't associated with the board in any way... think of how Jim, Joe and Randy must feel to see stuff like this.

Just sayin'...

Oh, and welcome TJC3!

Cheers,

Shane

What indestructible! said...

I just don't see any reason for the reaction she got. It was way out of control, and very (IMO) unfair (as well as rude and disrespectful).

it also makes me - as one of the few women posting on this board - feel pretty discouraged about the way women are received here. It's as if there's a big "Boys Only" sign, in some people's minds, at least.

I'm all for a more laid-back, friendly vibe, and I think it's doable. But you gotta work at it.

And (kind of a separate issue) there certainly are some talented musicians working in the "smooth jazz" arena. I think it's important to acknowledge and respect them - and their musicianship - even when we (you, me, anyone) doesn't especially care for the type of music they're playing. To my eyes, that's what thejackchick3's column was addressing, in part.

Trying to find one's path as a writer for a general-interest publication isn't easy.

Edited by seeline

Dan, take a chill pill.

While I agree with much of the substance of what you were saying, Dan, I totally disagree with the way you went about saying it.

Welcome, TJC3,

Our 'welcoming committee' was a little over zealous (not the first time), but we're mostly a lot more fun once you get to know us.

Indestructible! - you echoed my thoughts exactly.

Edited by Rooster_Ties