NCAA Football 2009

canes sure looked great last night!!!

:excited:

A corner/safety from The LBC made a few good plays for the Canes...

FL talent is down...So Cal may be the answer, especially if they can land a QB from the Beach.

:blink:

That "down" FL talent seems to be doing OK so far.

So Cal just got beat by Washington. (EDIT: misread that. I guess you mean Cal may be the answer. I can go with that). :tup

But it's college, so ... just about anything can happen (except Ohio State winning a big game outside their conference.) :P

Edited by papsrus

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But it's college, so ... just about anything can happen (except Ohio State winning a big game outside their conference.) :P

Watch it. :P

Sorry. Cheap shot. I'm actually rooting for Ohio State these days.

Wonder if Urban Meyer has ever had to cheer a team up after a win?

Lane Kiffin really comes across as a dick. Showed no signs of manning-up after the game, instead he insisted that his much-publicized comments directed at UF and Meyer were all part of a grand plan to take pressure off his players. ... Uh huh. What was that, six months ago he made those comments? If that was the grand plan, you might be over-thinking things, Lanie. Weasel. The guy makes Spurrier look like a kindly old gentleman.

I guess that great FSU-Miami game wasn't simply a case of two bad teams playing one another. Then again, BYU was ranked way too high.

Still hard to get a handle on who's going to rise to the top. Florida offense looked bland. USC has QB problems. Big Ten has Big Ten problems. Maybe it's Texas' year? Haven't really seen them, except on highlights.

This all points to why early season losses shouldn't count for much. It takes some of these really good college teams 4 - 5 weeks to get cranked up sometimes.

Edited by papsrus

So Meyer says today that he kind of scaled things back in the fourth quarter because, paraphrasing, he was surprised that Tennessee had basically given up at that point. They were down, whatever it was -- 23 - 6? -- halfway through the fourth quarter and just handing the ball off for short gains. That's a pretty clear shot at Kiffin, who had said after the game that he felt like Tennessee could have won it.

Kind of like: Could have won the game? Really? Why did you give up then? Or was that you actually "trying."

canes unranked 3 weeks ago - now number 9 in AP. not too shabby!

:cool:

Well, the next couple of games should tell us where the 'Canes will end up. VT and Oklahoma are tough opponents. I think Miami wins one of those games, but not both. They do look good, though.

BTW, did I mention I'm a Gator fan (UF class of '97)? That Tennessee game worried me a little... but not nearly as much as the LSU game does.

Cheers,

Shane

• 2 weeks later...

Texas A&M is 3-0 right now, but really hasn't played anybody of substance yet. That will change starting on Saturday when they play Arkansas at the Jerry Jones Dome in Dallas. A&M leads the nation (!!!) in total yardage with 574/game, and QB Jerrod Johnson has played lights-out so far. The defense still has a way to go though, but there's alot of athleticism and speed on the team that wasn't there during the Franchione era. They've played 16 true freshmen and seven redshirt freshment this year already (most in the nation), so there should be a steady improvement over the next few years.

I'm not sure they're good enough to hang with the Texas and Oklahoma teams yet, but they seem to be moving in the right direction.

And in what's probably the death-knell for him, there's a nice write-up about Jerrod Johnson on SI.com.

Hope the Ags can get six wins out of the season and back into a bowl game. It hasn't been alot of fun following them the past few years.

Ok, after finally seeing A&M on tv this season for the first time, I can say their #1 total offense ranking going into this game tonight against Arkansas was because they played some patsies.

They're not looking good at all tonight against the Hoggies, and Arkansas doesn't even have that great a defense.

Johnson is either not as good as the hype, or he's panicking on the bigger stage . Plus he has no protection - the O line is stinkin' it up.

I think they'll be good eventually, but they're obviously not back yet.

Arkansas' QB Mallett looks pretty good though.

Three games to follow tonight- Iowa/Michigan, Florida/LSU and Florida State/Georgia Tech.

I think we'll see if Iowa is really any good tonight. They squeaked out a couple wins so far, I think Michigan will come to play.

It will be interesting to see if and how well Teboe plays.

I don't really care much about the FSU game but will probably check in from time to time.

Three games to follow tonight- Iowa/Michigan, Florida/LSU and Florida State/Georgia Tech.

I think we'll see if Iowa is really any good tonight. They squeaked out a couple wins so far, I think Michigan will come to play.

I don't really care much about the FSU game but will probably check in from time to time.

Going back and forth between the Iowa/Michigan and Florida/LSU. Don't have a rooting interest but enjoying them.

Going back and forth between the Iowa/Michigan and Florida/LSU. Don't have a rooting interest but enjoying them.

I forgot Texas/Colorado. That's turned out to be more of a game than I thought it would be. I have to root for my Longhorns since I went to grad school there!

Florida defense looked mighty impressive. Offense, less so. But that game was a war.

Didn't see the Bama game, but from the highlights their offense AND defense look impressive.

The NCAA instituted a rule this year outlawing hits that lead with the helmet. I've yet to see the penalty called and I've seen time after time players leading with their helmet. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the rule?

• 2 weeks later...

Watched the Bama-Vols game. Nice to see Kiffin snatch defeat from the jaws of potential victory at the end. Couldn't happen to a nicer asshole.

Bama has a tough defense, but there's no way that's the offense of a No.1 team. Very limited. Average QB at best. Shaky in the red zone. I don't see it.

If things play out, they are going to need one hell of a game plan to beat Florida, which has a defense on par with Alabama's and an offense that, while not as prolific as last year's, at least has the potential to score touchdowns.

(or give up 100-yard interception returns for TDs, as I just witnessed this second vs. Miss. State) :crazy:

Crazy game by Iowa/Indiana today- another big comeback by the Hawkeyes. Amazing that they can play so badly (5 interceptions by the Iowa QB!) and still come back to win handily. Another big fold for Indiana, two weeks in a row they've allowed their opponent to come back from way down.

That looming game w/Ohio State is looking big. Also, one the commentators today described the Hawkeyes as "poultry in motion"- I thought that was a good one.

Florida State won in a high scoring shootout too. If Texas wins it will be a good day for my teams. :)

Can't wait for Oregon USC tonight. Halloween at Autzen Stadium will be something the Trojans won't forget anytime soon. Hopefully, what the Ducks have shown both offensively and defensively over the last few week will again be in play tonight. Folks around here are mighty amped up about this game. You might even say THEY'RE HOOKED ON QUACK.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

Can't wait for Oregon USC tonight. Halloween at Autzen Stadium will be something the Trojans won't forget anytime soon. Hopefully, what the Ducks have shown both offensively and defensively over the last few weeks again be in play tonight. Folks around here are mighty amped up about this game. You might even say THEY'RE HOOKED ON QUACK.

Up over and out.

USC BEATDOWN! Holy crap!

Trojans quacked under the pressure.

Edited by Free For All