Bad news from Mosaic

J.A.W.

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read this thread just before leaving work, so I stopped on my way home at a great local CD store that carries many of the Selects. I bought Bob Brookmeyer (it's on now) and Bennie Green for myself. I also picked up copies of the two no-longer-available sets the store had: Dexter Gordon and Art Pepper. I have offered them privately (at my cost) to John Tapscott and Werf, respectively, since they they were the earliest to post lamenting them. If they don't want them, I'll sell them (again, at cost) to the first board member who wants them.

The store had one more copy of the Dexter Gordon, and one copy each of the Pacific Jazz Piano Trios, Duke Pearson, and John Patton. If anyone wants these, I'll go by tomorrow and pick them up if they're still there, which of course I can't guarantee.

I'm glad I recently picked up Curtis Amy and the PJ Piano Trios.

Jeff, I'm interested in the PJ Piano Trios if no one else stakes a claim.

I ordered the Gordon, received a confirmation notice. If it is gone, I am surprised that they haven't emailed me to say that. I know it takes about 24 hours from when you place your order to when you receive the shipping notice. If they CAN'T fulfill the order will I get an email in about the same time frame? In any case, I will call or email Mosaic tomorrow. I have the set Jeff offered me on hold for 24 hrs. Thank you Jeff.

Well, after this string of bad news I pulled the trigger on the Braxton and Turrentine Mosaics as well as the Blakey Hard Bop single. And if the Hill group sessions ever return I'll get those immediately. I'm also eyeing the Zeitlin...

Yeah, wonder if this is the tip of the iceberg. :unsure:

Edited by mellowT

I'm beginning to think it is.... :o :o :o

Well, after this string of bad news I pulled the trigger on the Braxton and Turrentine Mosaics as well as the Blakey Hard Bop single. And if the Hill group sessions ever return I'll get those immediately. I'm also eyeing the Zeitlin...

I was planning on swinging by Amoeba later today and could take a stab at doing the same. Meaning if anyone wants to commit to one, I'll pick it up for you and ship it, etc at cost. Amoeba tended to sell these for either $45 or $50, plus tax. UNless they already jacked them today, but I would think they'd be too busy with the Beatles release.

or maybe I should just buy them for eBay. <_<

I saw Os Mutantes at Amoeba yesterday, by the way. Delightful set. They actually have a new album out, released yesterday. There's one to go for!

Adam,

I was also planning on heading out to Amoeba tonight, but cannot due to a work commitment. I'm looking for the Freddie Slack select and the Johnny Richards select. If you see either/both of these and can pick them up, I'd gladly pay you for them (plus a little extra for the effort, of course).

PM also being sent...

Cheers,

Shane

Edited by Indestructible!

There are quite a few Selects up for auction on eBay right now, many right around or slightly less than retail. Get 'em while they last. I'm guessing sellers are going to be asking for a lot more when the next batch of offerings goes up for bid.

One other thought. If Mosaic doesn't survive, can you imagine the prices big boxes will be demanding in five years? Yow.

Up over and out.

I emailed them about the Hill and got the response they're still planning to repress it this fall.

Ouch!! I've been concentrating on getting the big boxes, figuring I'd have plenty of time for the selects I wanted

I just ordered the Slack and the Richards Selects from J&R Music for $52.99 each. I hope they ship!

I'm not sure about the Pullen, from what I've heard it's not at the top of my list.

I have the Art Pepper on the individual releases--Is the sound that much better on the select?

I'd much rather be giving my money to Mosaic. In my world, they are the company too big to fail!

Well, I just pulled a very late trigger on the Pearson, Shank/Cooper and Pacific Jazz Piano Selects. Wish I could have added a Donaldson.. :(

If I had known, I would have bought one for you, Bob. I managed to grab the Washington and the Donaldson before they disappeared...

I guess you have most of the music on LPs though.

Thanks - not to worry. I can live without the Donaldson as I have all of the music on vinyl (and mainly on originals), which is the reason I didn't pick one up already. After all, we have had quite a few years to think about it ! It would have been nice to have that box for the purposes of convenience though. I think I can live without the Dinah Washington. Most of the Selects that I've wanted I've managed to order too - I think I can live without Freddie Slack. Don Pullen would have been nice but like Hans I've got at least 2 of the sessions on the original CDs.

Life goes on !

Edited by sidewinder

Gee, I hate all this news - I immediately sent them a mail asking them to hold back some of those for me, but got no reply so far (probably they were flooded with orders)... I guess that's rather a bad sign, but I'd hate missing the Pacific Trio and the Shank/Coop!

I tried a mail re: holding back the Donaldson. I did get a short response from them last night saying they are 'sold out'. I'll bet they are fuming over this.

Edited by sidewinder

Gee, I hate all this news - I immediately sent them a mail asking them to hold back some of those for me, but got no reply so far (probably they were flooded with orders)... I guess that's rather a bad sign, but I'd hate missing the Pacific Trio and the Shank/Coop!

I tried a mail re: holding back the Donaldson. I did get a short response from them last night saying they are 'sold out'. I'll bet they are fuming over this.

No mail here :(

Gee, I really really really am pissed about this!

Really in a bad mood ever since yesterday 6 p.m.! :angry: