Bad news from Mosaic

J.A.W.

But the thing is, it's almost impossible to keep up with the releases, and it makes no sense to buy the new ones as they come out an instead let older releases go OOP without buying them.

If I had the funds, I'd just buy all the older releases and then keep up, but that's just no option, because - great as they are - there are other things I want to hear and explore, as well.

Again, my thoughts exactly!

I would have bought these sets from Mosaic over the course of the next six or eight months, one by one, but now that the hunt is on due to that unbelieveable carelessness of a third party ...

I had to watch some sets go oop due to lack of funds and was lucky to get them years later for a good price, but since then I always ordered from Mosaic in time or when they went to the running low category. But this was simply too fast for me, especially since I missed that e-mail as I was on vacation without an internet connection.

No, I'm not one to blame. If Mosaics were all I collect, well .... but there are quite a few other styles of music I am interested in, and some of them for professional reasons.

Edited by mikeweil

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still a bit pissed by Reinier's attack. Just in case: I had them put a Pearson Select aside for me. Yesterday my order was shipped, and it also contained the Anthony Braxton box and a single. Ok? I also own about 20 or 25 in print Mosaic boxes and Selects, and I bought about 6 or 7 of the Singles (which seem to be pretty unsuccesful, alas). However, some of those are Universal Mosaics and I guess I have to be blamed for buying them as well? Holy holy!

I wouldn't take it too seriously, you just have to let it roll. I'm certainly not losing any sleep over it nor do I feel any kind of need to justify my buying habits with anyone. Taken to it's logical conclusion, he seems to be saying that there's something wrong or unethical about buying used CDs or buying new CDs from anyone other than the initial distributor. On top of that, that we should feel guilty for being in the position of having to buy these CDs from anyone other than Mosaic in the first place. I have 5 Selects and all 5 of them were purchased brand new from merchants other than Mosaic. Did these merchants get them for free? I hardly think so. Mosaic made their money on these sets. Mosaic made their money, I got them at a better price and the merchant got their cut as well. Win-win-win. One also can't assume that if these sets weren't available elsewhere that Mosaic would make the sale instead. There are several sets I own that I would never have purchased at Mosaic's price but was able and willing to purchase because of a much lower price offered by a private seller. (Mosaic made their money on that set too.) On these sets, if it came down to paying Mosaic's price or not having the set at all, I wouldn't have the set. I'm sure Bluerein and I are in disagreement on this matter but my conscience is clear despite how (s)he would try and make me feel about it. I'd say kick back, relax and enjoy those Mosaic's no matter where you might have gotten them.

Edited by mikelz777

Of the Selects, I'd be OK with letting the remaining titles slide except maybe the Charles Tolliver. Anyone have thoughts on that one? I'll usually listen to sound samples several times over the course of a couple of weeks and then decide if I really want it. That approach usually weeds out the "I'm more excited to get something new" vs. the "I'd really like this recording." So far, the Tolliver sound samples have held my interest.

Those Tolliver sessions (at Slug's) have been amongst my favorite live recordings for over 30 years. When the Select came out I didn't waste 2 seconds before ordering it. It sounds great and the additional unreleased tunes (disk 3) are a major bonus not available otherwise. A fantastic example of early-70's hard bop.

:tup:cool::tup

I'd say the Tolliver material is a chunk of music you'd want to hear. These sessions really have a lot of life in them. I guess in the end they are musically limited which is why I didn't replace the copies I already have with the Select. I'd say that if you ever were interested in Woody Shaw then you might also enjoy this Tolliver.

I agree that other of these Selects are really for collectors and can be happily let slide. My problem with the series was that I already had the key material on those sets which interested me, much of which has been easily available for some time.

Edited by David Ayers

I'd say the Tolliver material is a chunk of music you'd want to hear. These sessions really have a lot of life in them. I guess in the end they are musically limited which is why I didn't replace the copies I already have with the Select.

just to clarify: one disc of the select is bonus tracks not available elsewhere; that said, i have some of tolliver's other albums and i believe i understand what you mean by "musically limited"... the two selects i really want to get eventually are the tolliver and the first hill, at this point...

I'd say the Tolliver material is a chunk of music you'd want to hear. These sessions really have a lot of life in them. I guess in the end they are musically limited which is why I didn't replace the copies I already have with the Select. I'd say that if you ever were interested in Woody Shaw then you might also enjoy this Tolliver.

just to clarify: one disc of the select is bonus tracks not available elsewhere; that said, i have some of tolliver's other albums and i believe i understand what you mean by "musically limited"... the two selects i really want to get eventually are the tolliver and the first hill, at this point...

I do like Woody Shaw. I have the Mosaic, Stepping Stones, In My Own Sweet Way, Live Vol. 3 and the sessions with Freddie Hubbard. Some of his stuff (not what I own) is a bit too "out" for me.

What do you mean when you say that the Tolliver stuff is "musically limited"? Is is because there is not another horn involved other than his trumpet? Is it because you see it as too straight ahead vs. adventurous or vice versa? Because the music starts to sound all the same or the soloing patterns are all the same? Because of the skills or execution of the musicians involved? I'm just curious about what you meant by that.

Edited by mikelz777

Yep, it figures.

I was on here a couple of days ago praising Movie Mars and saying I had never had an issue with multiple CD orders...and now they just e-mailed that the Bob Brookmeyer set was out of stock. Guess their orders came in faster than they could update stock.

That's really annoying. Wonder how many other Brookmeyer sets I missed the chance to grab while waiting on them?

Yep, it figures.

I was on here a couple of days ago praising Movie Mars and saying I had never had an issue with multiple CD orders...and now they just e-mailed that the Bob Brookmeyer set was out of stock. Guess their orders came in faster than they could update stock.

That's really annoying. Wonder how many other Brookmeyer sets I missed the chance to grab while waiting on them?

That's weird. I don't know if Movie Mars and Movie Marz are the same things but Movie Marz currently has a listing on Ebay stating they have 2 copes of the Brookmeyer available for $62.23. ("Buy It Now", free shipping)

Edited by mikelz777

That's weird. I don't know if Movie Mars and Movie Marz are the same things but Movie Marz currently has a listing on Ebay stating they have 2 copes of the Brookmeyer available for $62.23. ("Buy It Now", free shipping)

I think they are the same. I actually asked the customer service rep about this when I cancelled my order, but they didn't respond to my question.

On the plus side, I think I found a copy someplace else.

MellowT, I just tried to send you a PM, but I'm not sure it went through. Let me know.

Looks like I have a package waiting at the post office for collection tomorrow. Could be Lou Donaldson :excited:

... or it could be the HRS from Mosaic.

You mustn't say things like this to those of us who thought waiting on the Lou Donaldson set was a pretty safe bet. I've scoured the internet and every foreign source I can think of and all I can find is one huckster who wants $299.00. Even in my state of wanton desperation, that ain't gonna happen.

Up over and out.