Blindfold Test Master Signup Thread

Dan Gould

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just corrected a couple of mistakes in the current list. Thom Keith is down for BFT #95(!) in February, 2012. King Ubu, I put you down for February, 2011, which was the next open month. If you would rather wait until March or April, let me know.

Thanks, will let you know in time... not sure yet if it matters - I'm merely putting together a compilation of many funny short things, jazz and beyond... :)

• 2 months later...

The current one (#80) made me think of some great things to include if I ever do this again...so why not do it again?

Can I have whatever month's free next, Jeff? I did one in September 2009, but I think that's enough time ago to torture folks again.

The current one (#80) made me think of some great things to include if I ever do this again...so why not do it again?

Can I have whatever month's free next, Jeff? I did one in September 2009, but I think that's enough time ago to torture folks again.

Okay, Alex - you've got BFT #85, April, 2011.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I'd be happy to do another BFT in May or -- better for me -- June of 2011.

Thanks, Joe; I'll put you down for June.

Hi Jeff,

I would like to do one of these but have a couple of questions. Maybe I could sent you a pm later today, when and if I wake up. :o)

I'll be looking out for a PM.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

A few changes in the BFT schedule: Berigan is going to wait until January and present BFT #94. Thom Keith has graciously agreed to take #89 for August - he had previously told me that his test, although scheduled for February, was ready to go at any time. Thanks, Thom! I'd like to have February or March - I tentatively put myself down for February, but if someone else wants it, I'll take March. You can request a month as long as it's at least 12 months past your last BFT.

Look for the BFT 89 sign-up thread soon. It's here.

Edited by jeffcrom

• 3 months later...

King ubu posted this in the BFT Master List thread, but it really belongs here, so this is where I'm putting my reply.

I'd be ready to jump in with a whopping 160 minutes (2CDs, for those who still burn MP3, or rather, M4A) - just in case someone needs to re-schedule... will be doing the same shortly on another (german) forum (with very few participators) and it would be a pleasure to do it here, too (even if later on... put me for #98 with the option to jump ahead/switch places if anyone wishes so).

First things first - I've put you down for BFT #98, May, 2012. Thanks for volunteering to present another BFT.

Secondly, I would like to suggest that you cut down the length of your BFT. Back in April, 2009, there was discussion of ending the blindfold test (or at least putting it on hiatus) due to declining participation. (The thread is here.) Part of the problem turned out to be that some folks felt that they didn't have time to devote to listening and commenting on two discs' worth of material. In reading that thread a few minutes ago, I don't know if it's clear that a consensus was reached, but the general feeling seemed to be that BFT's should be limited to the length of one CD, and that's what I put in the BFT FAQ's when I took over as BFT manager.

Since then, I've noticed that the length of some of the BFT's is creeping up again, and I think that's a mistake. That being said, I consider myself to be the BFT facilitator, not dictator. I don't feel that it's my position to tell anyone that they absolutely can't go over 79 minutes, but I think that by doing so, you're going to test folks' patience. I know that I probably would not listen to all of a 160-minute BFT.

I would like to see all BFT participants limit their tests to the length of one CD; take that for what you will.

Sorry for posting in the wrong thread, Jeff!

And please put me down as #98 and #... what shall we say, #102?

The two discs can stand on their own and figure as kind of two volumes which I'd love to present, as they are now!

I fully endorse the "limit it to 80 minutes" policy (even if it's not enforced) and hence that would be the perfect solution, in my humble opinion.

And still, if you have anyone jumping the ship, I'd be ready - that's all I wanted to say. I'm as good in queuing politely as the finest english gentleman, trust me ;)