Blindfold Test Master Signup Thread

Dan Gould

I see we are behind on schedule somewhat with RDK's december BFT only just started. This would mean my turn is April and that's incredibly bad timing. If someone is able to step in ahead that would be splendid. If someone could be second "backup" that would be cool too as I am not sure whether I can be online much in April/May.

If nobody else volunteers I offer to switch positions with you - if others do not object, as my previous BFT was less than a year ago. But it has a theme not covered so far, and I have it almost ready as I was tossing coins between this and the theme I chose for my last one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just doing a single disc, the gaul!, and that will probably be underway before the month of February is done.

Seeing that we're doing downloads these days, we're no longer strictly required to confine ourselves to a CD way of thinking. Anything wrong with doing, say, an 85-min. BFT? ;)

Seeing that we're doing downloads these days, we're no longer strictly required to confine ourselves to a CD way of thinking. Anything wrong with doing, say, an 85-min. BFT? ;)

I've nothing against it except to say that I'm having great soul searching to confine myself to two 80 minute themed sets but that I really welcome the discipline.

MG

I've nothing against it except to say that I'm having great soul searching to confine myself to two 80 minute themed sets but that I really welcome the discipline.

MG

I strongly vote for keeping the 80 minute limit - I also believe in the sense of confining onself to this restricted time span.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just out of curiosity -- I read the FAQ for the BFT and saw nothing about this question. Has anyone considered doing an online (web-based) BFT? I'm sure hardcore audiophiles will reject that notion outright, but given the limits of commercially available CD-R technology, it may not be that extreme a difference. Either way, I'm interested, but I'd like to get my feet a little wetter around here before signing up.

Just out of curiosity -- I read the FAQ for the BFT and saw nothing about this question. Has anyone considered doing an online (web-based) BFT? I'm sure hardcore audiophiles will reject that notion outright, but given the limits of commercially available CD-R technology, it may not be that extreme a difference. Either way, I'm interested, but I'd like to get my feet a little wetter around here before signing up.

By web-based do you mean streaming or downloadable ? Several BFTs have been downloadable , including one you can still get in on if you're quick about it >>click<<

By web-based do you mean streaming or downloadable ? Several BFTs have been downloadable , including one you can still get in on if you're quick about it >>click<<

That's one option, another would be a web-based player. I guess I was thinking of the latter. I know most folks (myself included) don't have their "A" system hooked up to the computer, and I just wasn't sure how much of an issue that'd be.

That's one option, another would be a web-based player. I guess I was thinking of the latter. I know most folks (myself included) don't have their "A" system hooked up to the computer, and I just wasn't sure how much of an issue that'd be.

For BFT purposes , I don't see streaming audio offering any advantages over downloads , especially if sound quality is a concern , since streaming audio on the web is highly compressed . That said , the fidelity of BFTs is a non-issue ; I can't remember anyone complaining that poor sound on a BFT interfered with their ability to ID or enjoy the music . I do think all BFTs should be made available for download , not only for reasons of cost , but also to encourage the widest possible participation in them .

• 3 weeks later...

How's 'bout I split the difference and do a stream *and* a download. FWIW, it wouldn't be so much of a stream, rather than a server-side player which would allow the listener to play each song just like a media player on your computer. I realize this doesn't address your issue, so I'll do a download, too.