Blindfold Test Master Signup Thread

Dan Gould

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
Guest Bill Barton

Well, it looks like I'm hooked... These are turning out to be a lot of fun.

What the heck, please throw my ch07.jpg in the ring as a future compiler.

By the looks of that sign-up list everything on my collection will likely be OOP by the time it gets uploaded :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Bill Barton

As a "newbie" to the BFT I'm glad that things have been sorted out and that we're back on track. BERIGAN's was a gas! And a challenge! Then the answers never arrived from Steven... I kind of lost interest momentarily when that transpired. But I'm good to go for the one that I'm scheduled for and will try to take part in the ones between now and then. A number of comments have referred to the fact that some BFTs have been too "out" or "modern." Is it going to be an issue to have one that really stretches boundaries? Thom's answers list is quite conservative compared to the one that I've been compiling! That's where (part) of my tastes lie.

As a "newbie" to the BFT I'm glad that things have been sorted out and that we're back on track. BERIGAN's was a gas! And a challenge! Then the answers never arrived from Steven... I kind of lost interest momentarily when that transpired. But I'm good to go for the one that I'm scheduled for and will try to take part in the ones between now and then. A number of comments have referred to the fact that some BFTs have been too "out" or "modern." Is it going to be an issue to have one that really stretches boundaries? Thom's answers list is quite conservative compared to the one that I've been compiling! That's where (part) of my tastes lie.

Bring it! :excited:

Yeah, what Thom said! I may hate it and recoil in horror if it's as "out" as you claim, but I'll still dig the journey! That's the whole fun of the BFT's anyway: blindly rushing into the unknown, not knowing what you're gonna get hit with!

Really, as long as you stay active within your own BFT discussion (i.e. don't start the thread and then abandon it completely) and then deliver answers when promised, a lot more people will likely respond.

At its greatest, the BFT's can generate pages upon pages of high-spirited discussion between the participants and the leader. All we've been lacking lately is full-on commitment from BFT leaders (i.e. keep the discussion thread going), which unfortunately left Thom in the lurch because nobody posted their guesses!

Edited by Big Al

Guest Bill Barton

Bring it! :excited:

Cool! Sorry I missed yours after seeing the answers, Thom! All that unreleased material... Sigh... I wasn't active on the board at the time for a variety of unavoidable reasons.

Yeah, what Thom said! I may hate it and recoil in horror if it's as "out" as you claim, but I'll still dig the journey! That's the whole fun of the BFT's anyway: blindly rushing into the unknown, not knowing what you're gonna get hit with!

Really, as long as you stay active within your own BFT discussion (i.e. don't start the thread and then abandon it completely) and then deliver answers when promised, a lot more people will likely respond.

At its greatest, the BFT's can generate pages upon pages of high-spirited discussion between the participants and the leader. All we've been lacking lately is full-on commitment from BFT leaders (i.e. keep the discussion thread going), which unfortunately left Thom in the lurch because nobody posted their guesses!

Sounds like a plan. After listening back to the in-progress collection that I've compiled so far it struck me that I probably overstated the "outness" factor a bit in that previous post. In fact, I purposefully included things that build on other things and a wide variety of textures and instrumentations to (hopefully) keep it interesting. The reason I enjoyed BERIGAN's so much was that it did tweak my ears in unexplored directions. And I agree that the fun is in the exploration of perhaps unheard areas of the music rather than correctly guessing who plays what where.

Al, it makes sense but I have some questions. For instance, I didn't do a hard disc on mine, rather making it available through a real-time player and/or download. Would this also be an option? I know some folks like the old-fashioned disc (alright, that's just funny), but in the name of being green, I'll submit that the online player is a viable alternative (now that I've got the S.O.B. working correctly!).

Al, it makes sense but I have some questions. For instance, I didn't do a hard disc on mine, rather making it available through a real-time player and/or download. Would this also be an option?

Oh yes, absolutely! In fact, I'm even encouraging that by offering to do the uploads myself for anyone who's interested in going that route but has neither the time nor the inclination to learn how to do it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Dear Blindfolders .......

A week ago i finished BFT # 61 and really enjoyed it, because I received a growing response from you, comparing to my previous BFT # 44 (Keep Swinging).

In my answer thread I started to promise you to post some sugggestions, some rules of the game, that might make the discussion more lively. Now, each member post his own thoughts without any previous reading of the comments. The compiler of the BFT gives his comments after each posting. So did I. No problem, because I like that. But what if Mr. B finds out that the trumpet player is, indeed, Louis Armstrong and Mr. C. tells me, in his comments that he believes, after researching his collection of books and recordings, that the trumpet player might be Louis Armstrong, and so does mrs. C. who believes that the drummer man (?) might by Satchmo Armstrong himself. It becomes hard to keep the comments lively and interesting for each of you.

My suggestion to make the BFT more thrilling is this:

We have a time span of three (in fact four) weeks.

First two weeks: Each Blindfold tester gives his comments on each (?) or some selected tracks. The compiler of the BFT gives NO comments. If there are no , or just a few suggestions, the compiler can decide to give some hints after the first week. As no-one gets any comments, it doens't matter if you're the first or the last one to participate.

After two weeks the compiler gives comments to all postings in one, extensive (?) posting - maybe some tracks were identified, but not all details; others remain still untraced. Then we can start a (lively) discussion about the tracks that need to be discussed or identificated. And ............. last but not least, the compiler posts the answer thread in the fourth week. And then ................... who's next !! :excited:

What are your ideas about this?

Let us know!

Keep swinging

Durium

Dear Blindfolders .......

A week ago i finished BFT # 61 and really enjoyed it, because I received a growing response from you, comparing to my previous BFT # 44 (Keep Swinging).

In my answer thread I started to promise you to post some sugggestions, some rules of the game, that might make the discussion more lively. Now, each member post his own thoughts without any previous reading of the comments. The compiler of the BFT gives his comments after each posting. So did I. No problem, because I like that. But what if Mr. B finds out that the trumpet player is, indeed, Louis Armstrong and Mr. C. tells me, in his comments that he believes, after researching his collection of books and recordings, that the trumpet player might be Louis Armstrong, and so does mrs. C. who believes that the drummer man (?) might by Satchmo Armstrong himself. It becomes hard to keep the comments lively and interesting for each of you.

My suggestion to make the BFT more thrilling is this:

We have a time span of three (in fact four) weeks.

First two weeks: Each Blindfold tester gives his comments on each (?) or some selected tracks. The compiler of the BFT gives NO comments. If there are no , or just a few suggestions, the compiler can decide to give some hints after the first week. As no-one gets any comments, it doens't matter if you're the first or the last one to participate.

After two weeks the compiler gives comments to all postings in one, extensive (?) posting - maybe some tracks were identified, but not all details; others remain still untraced. Then we can start a (lively) discussion about the tracks that need to be discussed or identificated. And ............. last but not least, the compiler posts the answer thread in the fourth week. And then ................... who's next !! :excited:

What are your ideas about this?

Let us know!

Keep swinging

Durium

To some extent, I think that happens anyway. I'm not sure the BFT needs and extended formal process. I'll only speak for me, but one of the reasons I like the BFT is that it is laid back; it's a relaxing experience where I can just listen and see what I recognize. If I, the participant, wish to turn it into an information quest, I can do that, or I can just listen and make my guesses. Either way, it won't affect the way I approach the BFT, but the Libertarian side of me starts to get concerned when something simple starts to become needlessly formalized.

No one is competing to be "first" to identify someone/some track. Everyone comes to the BFT on their own timetable, they should be pleased if they are correct when they post their comments.

I also am unaware that compilers are expected to comment to each new set of guesses. I have done this three times and will again in April, and my policy was not to comment at all while guesses are being posted. Its a "discuss among yourself" time. I then make comments in the answer thread.

I don't think there is any reason to formalize any procedure. Its up to every compiler to do what he wishes to do.

I owe you an apology, Durium, for having not participated in the discussion thread. It was a combination of too little time available this month and not really having a lot to say about the tunes. :unsure: (On second listen though I thought I recognized Frank Morgan, but since I didn't post, no credit. :( )

Guest Bill Barton

I tend to agree with Dan and Thom that the less formalization the better, though your suggestions are good ones, Durium. Admittedly I've been amiss in participation for various reasons the last couple of go-rounds... Hope to do better with Nate's upcoming BFT!

Personally, I'm not terribly attuned to the idea of strictly attempting to figure out the exact musicians playing on any given track. It's more of a general "ear opener" for me. Does the music "reach" me? That's the key. And discovering folks who are "new" names that do reach me is important.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bill Barton

Due to some unfortunate developments in my personal life, as of tomorrow, I will no longer have a computer or Internet access. This is for the foreseeable future; I'm not sure how long.

Therefore, I have to back-out of my schehduled BFT.

I'll miss you folks...

• 1 month later...
Guest Bill Barton

Very sorry to hear that, Bill. I hope your situation gets better.

So noted on the Master List.

Thanks, Big Al...

My Internet access is back a tad bit earlier than expected so I'd like to throw my hat back in the ring as it were. PM sent...

• 2 weeks later...

i know i'm a newbie, but i've already enjoyed my first BFT #64 - courtesy Dan the Man. i'd like to be considered to be placed on the list of BFT makers. if needed, there are some posters on this board that have around here much longer than i that can vouch for me. at least i hope they'd vouch for me :unsure::excited:

also: i may not be able to set up links (streaming internet clips) for the test. if mine was to be a "hard copy" only BFT, would that work?

lemme know please and thanks.

i know i'm a newbie, but i've already enjoyed my first BFT #64 - courtesy Dan the Man. i'd like to be considered to be placed on the list of BFT makers. if needed, there are some posters on this board that have around here much longer than i that can vouch for me. at least i hope they'd vouch for me :unsure::excited:

also: i may not be able to set up links (streaming internet clips) for the test. if mine was to be a "hard copy" only BFT, would that work?

It would -- but we can also set it up digitally (if Al doesn't want that burden, I can take it) for you.

It would -- but we can also set it up digitally (if Al doesn't want that burden, I can take it) for you.

that's great thom. whatever works. i'm really looking forward to doing one. going through my cd collection to choose material will be like a kid at the candy store. so many cds that have been unduly neglected for no other reason besides the mathematics of time.

we'll talk more after i find out when i'm doin' it and the time draws nearer...