at this time

alocispepraluger102

intakt records of switzerland, a tiny tiny music label, and its owner, patrik landolt, produce what amounts to limited edition often adventurous and exciting recordings by many of the world's most respected progressive jazz and classical artists, and rarely sell more than 250 copies of each.

i was excited to learn that the american avant trio, trio one, seasoned jazz statesmen and masters all, had recorded with the renowned, little known university of michigan jazz professor/jazz master, pianist geri allen.

these folks are equally comfortable in both the most adventurous and refined sensitive exquisite musical settings. during their long careers they have worked together in many recording and live settings.

what is immediately apparent is the strength and control of each of these players. thoughts of a series of recordings, perhaps less structured and confining, by these artists in a variety of settings causes one to salivate. perhaps trio three should be quartet three.

percussionist andrew cyrille

bassist reggie workman

reed player oliver lake

pianist geri allen

during much of this recording's 10 selections, these powerhouse players are surprisingly, often, to my ears, very concise, but restrained and deferential in their statements.

they all have so much to say, but generally, here, in a most polite manner.

the two most moving selections here are swamini(for the late pianist/harpist alice coltrane, and a tribute for the incredibly powerful and spiritual late jazz pianist spanning several generations, mary lou williams.

lake, seems to often have particular difficulty finding places to play without walking over the other players, as does ms. allen.

the music is tasteful, yet challenging, which makes it a rarity guaranteed not to sell, and somewhat more accesible than much of these artists work.

miss allen seems slightly uncomfortable in some of the freer(on this recording) settings, and applies a most economical, and beautiful setting for most of these pieces, at least for this date, seeming to be the actual leader.

this is 3am, pipesmoking, george dickel sipping music of the highest order by 4 most unlikely master musicians.

this beautiful recording, closely microphoned, and wonderfully intimate, downloaded from amazon for only 8 bucks to my ipod, is a reminder that trailblazing creativity, beautiful form, feeling, taste, and incredible musical virtuosity are still to be found, at least among the 175 folks around the world who will purchase and enjoy this lovely lovely recording.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

I haven't heard this one, but I've got the Trio 3 release "Time Being" on Intakt and plan to get the one with Irene Schweizer, was a concert the night before or after the CD was made. Also I've raved quite regularly about Intakt... I wonder, where does that 250 number come from (and why are they called "Trio One"?). I doubt that Intakt could survive on 250 discs sold per release!

I haven't heard this one, but I've got the Trio 3 release "Time Being" on Intakt and plan to get the one with Irene Schweizer, was a concert the night before or after the CD was made. Also I've raved quite regularly about Intakt... I wonder, where does that 250 number come from (and why are they called "Trio One"?). I doubt that Intakt could survive on 250 discs sold per release!

i belive that in emails with mr. landolt, that number was mentioned. hopeully, my memory is faulty,

This one is also available at emusic.com

wouldnt it be awesome if the entire intakt catalogue, or most of it, was available for download?

i havent checked.

eMusic has 26 Intakt titles listed in their inventory... this is the US version of eMusic I'm checking, so I don't know if the Europeans have access to more (or fewer) titles.

I like a good deal of what I've heard from this label (AvS, Marilynn Crispell, Barry Guy, Maybe Monday/Frith), so I'm looking forward to hearing "At This Time." Andrew Cyrille is an absolute MONSTER... maybe the best living drummer out there right now.

Cheers,

Shane

This one is also available at emusic.com

wouldnt it be awesome if the entire intakt catalogue, or most of it, was available for download?

i havent checked.

eMusic has 26 Intakt titles listed in their inventory... this is the US version of eMusic I'm checking, so I don't know if the Europeans have access to more (or fewer) titles.

I like a good deal of what I've heard from this label (AvS, Marilynn Crispell, Barry Guy, Maybe Monday/Frith), so I'm looking forward to hearing "At This Time." Andrew Cyrille is an absolute MONSTER... maybe the best living drummer out there right now.

Cheers,

Shane

andrew has a field day on this one, displaying ALL his colors, with several concise solos and many settings with a great variety of percussion instruments, but is never intrusive..

are you sympathetic to the the london jazz composers orchestra on intakt? through their remarkable recordings i initially learned of the intakt label 8 or 9 years ago.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

i belive that in emails with mr. landolt, that number was mentioned. hopeully, my memory is faulty,

Gee, that is shocking!

This label is far too good to be so little known, really!

I think they have done about 150 CD releases by now (and some vinyl before that), and I have probably about three dozen or so and they're virtually all good!

aloc, I urge you to check out the Intakt disc by Trio 3 with Irene Schweizer! I saw them live the day before or after the disc was cut (both nights were recorded, but only one track from Zurich made it onto the disc, the rest is from their Berne concert, as the title indicates.

Trio 3 + Irene Schweizer - Berne Concert

150.jpg

To me, Schweizer is a better match, at least on paper (and in concert), but I still have to pick up both of these releases!

aloc, I urge you to check out the Intakt disc by Trio 3 with Irene Schweizer! I saw them live the day before or after the disc was cut (both nights were recorded, but only one track from Zurich made it onto the disc, the rest is from their Berne concert, as the title indicates.

Trio 3 + Irene Schweizer - Berne Concert

150.jpg

To me, Schweizer is a better match, at least on paper (and in concert), but I still have to pick up both of these releases!

thank you,

i will indeed order that disc.

i have long admired and loved miss schweitzer's work.

• 2 weeks later...