Organist, Smith James O

JamesA

I'm looking for a documentary called Organist, Smith James O directed by Klaus Wildenhahn.

Here is the IMDB entry: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0195278

I have two clips of performances filmed in 1965. They feature some incredible playing by the trio (even more so than usual), a lot more energetic than the BBC Jazz 625 performances from the same year.

The film is in two parts, the first follows the band on their European tour, the second shows them in America.

It has been shown at quite a few film festivals in Germany.

the documentary reinforces how much of a genius JOS was and it's before he got totally sour about things. I liked how he lectured that critic saying "you can't say Dizzy doesn't know his horn" and the recording session footage of "Got My Mojo Working" at RVG's was great. LOL, funny being able to go "yeah, thats the alternate of "Satisfaction". The Bach like counterpoint at the soundcheck was mindboggling too.

The difference in 1965 between the tunes he was recording and what he was playing live with his trio were interesting. He was trying to become more popular with his recorded output but giving massive sounding, mind bogglingly good performances on stage. I love the messed up version of Ode to Joy he plays.

Creed Taylor seems like a bit of a misery in the booth after the Hi-Heel Sneakers recording.

That solo counterpoint at the soundcheck was "Ode to Joy"? I didn't recognize how deconstructed it was! The clip of him at home playing piano was nmice too with his son providing "accompaniment". Jimmy was very Monkish on piano with some Cecil Taylor esque flourishes. JOS was trying to become more popular with his audience, but the stuff he was playing showed that unbelievable depth some people don't realize he had.

That solo counterpoint at the soundcheck was "Ode to Joy"? I didn't recognize how deconstructed it was! The clip of him at home playing piano was nmice too with his son providing "accompaniment". Jimmy was very Monkish on piano with some Cecil Taylor esque flourishes. JOS was trying to become more popular with his audience, but the stuff he was playing showed that unbelievable depth some people don't realize he had.

Ode to Joy is part of the outro to The Sermon he plays at one of the concerts.

For those that can't grab it off of Trader's den, can those that did grab be kind and offer copies to any that want it? There were at least 4 that sent me PMs and said they do not know how to download torrents.

Hardbopjazz has been SO helpful in this matter that I'll gladly send a copy to anybody who didn't won the battle again the downloading procedure!

Living in Europe, I would prefer to keep this below the 5000 copies mark...

Cheers :rolleyes:

For those that have watched this film, what do you think?

If we except the Jazz scene USA and a more recent one recorded somewhere in the Florida Keys, this is the only testimony we have from JOS concerts...that alone should be enough reward. but on top, there are concerts excerps, sound checks, conversations with his agents, taxi driver, concert management etc...

Great to have a look inside the life of one's heroes in music, but some parts are sometimes on the longuish side.

So my final comment is that I like it very much, but this is a film targeted at Jimmy's unconditionals...Maybe not so attractive for the rest.

Every Jimmy's fan definitely shoud look at this one .