What are you doing with your records?

blind-blake

What are you guys doing with LPs which you have replaced with CDs? Selling them? To whom? How are you doing this? Piecemeal on ebay? In one fell swoop to a collector/store? I'm not sure I'm up to putting all of my 1,000 or so records up on ebay; that seems awfully time consuming. What's the best way to get rid of your records in the quickest way for the most money? Thanks in advance.

I have the same problem, though only a small fraction. I've got perhaps 50 records with nothing to play them on, and no idea how to grade. They just sit in my entertainment center. A couple of them are probably collector's items (MFSL).

Edited by mellowT

I have learned that unless the records are in mint, unplayed condition, they are worth surprisingly little to most collectors or stores. It's actually quite discouraging.

So I have adopted the philosophy of spreading the good sounds to a new generation. I trade in a stack of my LP duplicates of CDs, to a used music store in my city for store credit. I can shop "for free" for a while. I don't think about how little I am getting per album compared to how much I spent for it. Instead, I think of some fanatical new jazz fan who is just getting started, and buying as many albums as fast as he or she can afford them, who will delight in my albums at an inexpensive price.

The store owner tells me that there are such people, and that they tend to look at his "new stock" section almost daily for more jazz discoveries.

Yeah, I've done the Ebay thing, and it's definitely the best buck for your bang, but it takes some time to list, package, and send, of course. A couple weeks ago I was able to get rid of about 20 more LPs I had digital copies of or just don't like anymore using the same method and approach as Hot Ptah. Another option, of course, is to list them here! We'll give you fair offers. I believe this worked out pretty well for Dan Gould.

Those are great, but that should only be done to LPs that are already damaged (skips, warps, etc.)!

Well, I'm doing my Buddy Bolden tomorrow.

Wasn't he the third guitarist, briefly, with the original Fairport Convention? Leave it to you Bev, to bring out an obscure British music reference.

BB, and Mellow...I sold more cds , not Lps on ebay. LP buyers are MUCH More picky than probably any other collector, save book collectors. But, from what I have seen on ebay, folks that undergrade a bit seem to have much less trouble. Lots of pictures obviously help.

And BB, I wouldn't look at putting up the whole collection at once. Just a few at a time. What usually happens is as more people see you put up stuff consistently, the more they check out, bid, etc. I saw a guy selling cds for the first time. He started everything at 99 cents. Well, I got a few deals at 3-4 bucks, then everyone and their brother found his stuff(His brother had died, and had thousands of cds)and it was all going for $10 and more.

So, my "expert" advice would be put up 10 LPs a week, and see what happens. Mention how many LPs you have as well, that will get them drooling! :excited:

The demand for LPs has increased a lot in the recent 5 years, so it's a good time to sell. I see more and more second hand music stores open vinyl sections.

The value of a used record can vary between nearly 0 and over $100, depending on the content, the condition and the rarity, so it's worth going through the collection (with the help of a knowledgible collector) and pick those LPs which can be sold seperately for a substantive price (over 5, 10 or 20 dollar, depending on your time and wish to maximise the revenue) and sell them seperately on Ebay.

The rest can be sold in bulk in thematic packages of 5 to 10 LPs, if you are certain the condition is VG or better.

Don't try to sell records in questionable condition to a collector unless he has the possibility to check them out himself, because you will only get trouble, for very little gain. Better sell them (for a very low price) to a second hand store, or give them for free.

I sold my collection (approx 600 LPs) at several record shows. These shows occur 3 times a year here in Orlando and similar shows are held in many other cities. This was a fairly successful experience- I went to several shows where many of my LPs were sold and eventually sold the total residue at the last show I attended as a seller. The prices I got were about the same as eBay, sometimes higher, without the hassle of mailing, etc. If you decide to sell at a show the key thing is to sort your LPs by artist so that a potential buyer can find what he/she is looking for. I agree with previous comments that the condition of the LP is the major selling factor- if your collection is in individual plastic sleeves it helps. Probably the biggest thing I got out of my attendance at the record shows was to get to talk to fellow jazz enthusiasts and made a few trading connections.

if you can find a reputable dealer they'll usually tell you what it's worth - the best in that respect is our own Stereo Jack, whom I've been dealing with for 20 years or so - Jack is great not only because he's so honest, but he's neither crazy/expensive nor untrustworthily cheap- he knows what stuff is worth and he is completely fair.

I've had a local dealer, whom I like personally, just offer me cash for a whole bunch of stuff, thinking I wouldn't do the math; when I did it came out absurdly low, for stuff that was mint, and relatively rare.

Edited by AllenLowe

Gee Allen, I had no idea you were so hot! :crazy:

As to LPs, I give mine to the local university library and take a tax deduction. I usually value them at about $10 per disc. Some are probably worth less, some more, but I never give one away that I haven't already doubled on cd, so I figure I'm in the ballpark. It's a lot easier than selling them, and it does have the benefit of potentially making them available to more people.

gregmo

I couldn't have done my reissues without vinal - particularly 1960s and 1970s major label reissues of older jazz and blues - some pristine sound. Some good European stuff, too, like the Black and Whites. Some of this stuff can never be duplicated, as the big labels lack the will (I mean, who's going to go into the vaults to look for Thomas Morris?). Also, some rare MCA/Decca stuff that apparently went up in smoke.