Never experienced pain like this

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Dancing a jig yet?

I am, thank you. I'm pretty much back at 100%. Still having some trouble sleeping (as you may notice from occasional 4 a.m. posts here), but other than that, I feel great.

One of the nice unintended side effects is I lost about 12 pounds! :tup And I was probably close to 30 pounds overweight, so I'm feeling really good about that. Going to do my darnedest to keep the poundage off.

Don't want to get too ... issue-oriented here, but just as a side note that may be of interest/amusing, (I don't believe I've mentioned this) the hospital bill to my insurance company for the surgery alone (not the surgeon, nor anesthesiologist, nor 3 days hospital stay, nor the medications, nor the home health-care visits/program, nor follow-up visits, nor visit to the emergency, nor sonogram on my leg, or any of that other stuff) was .... $52,000 (and change). :blink:

I about fell on the floor when I got that invoice. (But I was close to falling on the floor at the drop of a hat anyways at that time.) Sent the co-pay off today. A tidy little $1,180. And I've got insurance. So ... there you go.

But I don't give a shit about any of that. I'm just happy as a clam to be BACK!! .... pretty much.

Thanks for asking.

I'm very glad to hear you're nearly back to normal.

MG

Thanks MG. Although it only means I'll be annoying the hell out of you more frequently with mental gymnastics about English usage :lol: But thank you. I appreciate that.

And, really, thanks to everyone for all the good vibes and well-wishes here. It made a big difference. Allen even took the time to track me down and give me a call. Thanks Allen. The rest of you bums ... eh ;)

That was the first time in my life I've had to have some kind of more-or-less major surgery and I really was a bit naive/ill-prepared about what to expect. Next time some doctor casually suggests curing me with a knife, I'm going to run for the hills.

Edited by papsrus

That's great news!

When I had an operation on my leg 13 years ago, I saw the full cost when they pulled up my account on the CRT. Something like $65,000 in 1996. I wonder what it would be now.

Probably an arm and a leg.

I suspect those billed costs are inflated numbers, because the hospital knows the insurer is only going to pay a pre-determined percentage of the billed cost. So they know if they bill for $50,000 they'll get $6,000. Problem for the patient is, the co-payments are based on the former, not the latter.

Edited by papsrus

I'm glad you're doing better, paps.

The billing is ludicrous, and in my opinion gives further reason why all insurance companies of any kind (health, auto, etc.) should necessarily be non-profit organizations. No one has any choice but to have insurance, so insurance companies shouldn't have the motivation to screw people over.